Cookham Discussion Board
July 19, 2018, 09:57:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
19 July 2018 - Open Minds - The Teenagers Debating Group

22 July 2018 - Colonel Garrett Cup Cricket Competition

24 July 2018 - Cookham Medical Centre Closed for Training - 12.30-6.30pm

27 July 2018 - National Trust Bat Walk

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Orange Broadband  (Read 9505 times)
admin
Administrator

« on: May 20, 2008, 11:10:25 AM »

Is anyone else having trouble with Orange broadband at the moment? I am finding that I am unable to get onto the internet for hours on end and e-mails work intermittently.
CH

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 01:23:45 PM »

We had that same problem last year.

After 3 months (yes, 3 months) of not even being able to get online, we gave up closed our account and got broadband with a more reliable provider.
lizzyk

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 02:16:06 PM »

I am having trouble too. According to Orange's 'help' line they say that one of the DNS servers is down. I reckon it is more than one. Orange really is the most diabolical company.
Flosser
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 08:03:58 PM »

Yes, Orange is bad again!
At least their service status isn't showing as 100% ok and there is a huge appology on their website.........oh....hang on.....
Euro-Agent

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 03:30:08 PM »

Hi,

The internet is a great tool and we all use it and often take it for granted it will always be there. 

I dont know about the problems with the Orange service, but we have used the service of zen.co.uk for many years through our BT land line and am happy to say to date with out any trouble at all.

We use our broadband connection for data transfer and remote control of our overseas office's computers and therefore need a good service.  If you want a good service you need to pay just that little bit more, the saying goes "you get what you pay for" so having said that its not a very expensive service, but it dos work well.

Regards

Euro-Agent
CH

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 06:01:54 PM »

I definitely agree with the 'get what you pay for' comment re. broadband but you don't have to pay mad amounts.

We moved from Orange to Pipex, we now spend £15 a month and have had a perfect service since we joined.  There are cheaper but we do download quite a lot of data and Pipex are quite generous.
CookhamJames
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 10:26:31 AM »

Even though I'm in the IT Industry I bit the bullet and swapped a high cost business class provider (at home) to Sky Broadband and have been chuffed with this service. They even supply a decent Wireless router (worth around £50). 1 year in and zero downtime.  Grin
lizzyk

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 07:53:02 PM »

Looks like Orange's DNS servers are down again. The Today programme was talking to someone from Ofcom this morning asking why UK were so far behind everyone else with broadband, and the reply was total garbage. No wonder companies like Orange get away with such a bad service.
Rob
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 05:26:51 PM »

From yahoo news

Orange's plans to call a halt to the expansion of its Indian call centres marks the latest corporate shift against the cost-cutting mantra seen in recent times.

(Advertisement)
The group will create 500 customer-facing jobs - split between call centre and shop staff - as it returns much of its customer services focus to the UK.

A spokesman added that the group's "intention" is to eventually have all customer-facing queries dealt with in the UK.

Other major companies - such as high street bank Lloyds TSB last year - have stopped using Indian call centres to deliver a better standard of service to UK customers. Former Powergen firm E.On also made the move in 2006.

At Orange, the first to benefit will be the mobile giant's contract customers - more than a third of its base.

Although Orange emphasises it is not calling a halt to its outsourcing activities altogether, the spokesman added that the call centre decision would give it a "bit more control" over its customer services operation.

The exact timing of the move also remains unclear due to the existing agreements which the company has in place with its Indian subcontractors.

The move follows an earlier Orange announcement that it planned to axe up to 450 jobs under an overhaul of the UK business.

The cuts will come in administrative and management areas.

Orange, which is owned by France Telecom, has 15.8 million mobile customers and 1.1 million broadband users in the UK.

Rob
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 03:22:09 PM »

From OFCOM update E Mail

A new Code of Practice to ensure that internet service providers (ISPs) provide greater clarity over customers’ broadband line speeds was published today by Ofcom.

Some 32 ISPs, covering over 90 per cent of broadband customers, have already agreed to honour both the letter and the spirit of the Code to give consumers a clearer understanding of the speeds they can get and to ensure that they are on an appropriate broadband package.

A news release on the Code can be found at: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/news/2008/06/nr_20080605

The full code can be found at: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/ioi/copbb/copbb/

breds
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 02:37:34 AM »

WOW, so much stuff here, an excellent resource.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 12:21:15 PM by admin » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: