Cookham Discussion Board
September 22, 2018, 10:49:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
22 September 2018 - Live@the Church

25 September 2018 - Cookham Medical Centre Closed for Training - 12.30-6.30pm

27 September 2018 - Return of the Vaughan at the Cricket Club

3 October 2018 - Oxfam Coffee Morning with Claire Tomlin

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: dog mess!!  (Read 4195 times)
woody

« on: December 29, 2009, 09:57:32 AM »

I have walking my new puppy in Cookham and was disgusted
to find so much dog mess on the pathways and in the road.
Across the moor, the roads near country stores, Grange Road, nearest the golf course, on both verges.  I have also heard stories of dog mess in bags put in people's wheelie bins on bin day! These people need reporting to the dog warden at the council who will come out and issue a fine.
So come on lets keep Cookham free from dog faeces.
Under the clean Neighbourhoods & Enviroment Act 2005 you can be fined up to 1,000.00 for not clearing up after your dog. Angry
Ricardo

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 12:19:32 PM »

The trouble is, many people who let their dogs foul the paths around Cookham just don't see it as a problem. I recently remonstrated with a gentleman who let his dog foul the path over the Moor (just as children were walking to school) and his reply was that, as it was National Trust (and therefore private) property, the law didn't apply! He didn't take it too kindly when I suggested that, in that case, it would be okay for other people to let their dogs foul in his garden.

Scooping your dog's poop just takes a moment. We have (almost) successfully created a taboo out of dropping litter, why should dog mess be considered any differently? In fact, as any doctor will tell you, the hazards are greater.

I am sure, Woody, that you are leading by example. All we can do is (politely, of course) make our feelings plain when confronted by this anti-social behaviour.
gruffalo

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 01:44:01 PM »

I am a dog owner and I agree that people who don't pick up after their dogs are a public nuisance.  In my experience you usually find it is just the odd one or two whose dogs defecate in the same area day after day that spoil it for everyone. 

I am interested in your comment, woody, about putting bagged dog mess in peoples wheelie bins on collection day.  I haven't actually done this myself, but don't see why it is so disgusting?  surely if it is properly bagged and the bin is soon to be collected it is no big deal?  (not criticizing your point of view, just interested)

wannabe
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 05:41:24 PM »

.....a gentleman who let his dog foul the path over the Moor (just as children were walking to school) and his reply was that, as it was National Trust (and therefore private) property, the law didn't apply! ....
It depends. As it's land that the public are entitled or permitted to have access to then if a dog control order is in force for that land then it is an offence. If there is not a dog control order in force for that land then it isn't.
For dog fouling to be an offence there has to be an order in place.
Either way it's offensive.
Bertie

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 10:08:44 AM »

Visiting friends of mine have said that they've seen rather a lot of the stuff. It does seem like there are a lot of dog owners around here who simply cannot be bothered. Let's hope they are the same ones that cannot be bothered to drive within the law on their own doorstep. Otherwise, the ignorant, selfish residents outnumber the conscientious ones.
RiseResident
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 01:41:00 PM »

I too am totally fed up with dog c**p everywhere. Went for several walks over the holidays and my neck is stiff from having to walk with my head bowed looking out for this stuff. It is everywhere, along the footpaths, pavements, parks etc. I have never seen so much before, especially around the golf course where there was tons of it. Not very nice treading in it all the time and spending ages trying to clean the horrible stuff off your shoes. It would be so hard taking a youngster out when they are almost certain to end up covered in it. I am not sure if it is locals or visitors who maybe don't worry so much about fouling the area........ I have seen people strolling happily past while their dog is hunched up doing its thing with no intention of clearing it up. Not worth confronting them in this day and age as you don't know what will come back at you. Some patrols and maybe signs erected at key entry points to the river etc warning owners of big fines etc? 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: