Cookham Discussion Board
March 21, 2019, 04:34:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
21 March 2019 - Cookham WI Annual Bridge Drive

21 March 2019 - Cookham Book Club

22 March 2019 - Echoes of Swing Big Band in Concert

26 May 2019 - Dawn Chorus Walk

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: I was shocked to learn...  (Read 121448 times)
Footie

« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2010, 07:43:18 AM »

Dear All,

Has anyone else noticed,despite the vigorous debate on this subject,with over 1100 viewings,this is the only serious thread without any comment from that ex Cookham resident now living in Canada.

Cat

« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2010, 08:08:45 AM »

BBC NEWS WEBSITE TUESDAY 23rd 2010

'New survey says most gay people suffer "hate crime"

Most gay and transgender people do not report attacks against them

Most lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people have been verbally abused and a third physically attacked, according to a new survey.

The statistics from Stonewall Scotland suggested most people did not report the incidents to the police.

A quarter of those surveyed said they viewed verbal abuse as part of life as a gay or transgender person.

The findings come just before a new law is introduced which aims to tackle hate crimes against gay or disabled people.

The legislation which will be implemented on Wednesday will take a tougher line on crimes which have been motivated because of the victims' sexuality or gender orientation, or because they have a disability.

We're working with the police to give people the confidence to come forward and report crime
Carl Watt
Stonewall Scotland

Carl Watt, director of Stonewall Scotland, said: "Too many people in Scotland experience hate crimes, and many don't report it because they think it won't make a difference or because it happens on such a regular basis."

Stonewall's survey suggests that 88% of people who experienced verbal abuse did not report it, and 61% of those physically attacked did not inform police.'

The remainder of the article can be viewed on the BBC's website.
Simes

« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2010, 08:12:43 AM »

Footie, I was thinking exactly the same. Let's watch this space though....there's still time!!
arty

« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2010, 09:41:39 AM »

Well this issue has been on all the national TV news broadcasts and today in the newspapers. The gay couple were obviously distressed by their experience and it seems to me that the B & B owners have no inkling of how hurtful their actions were. This to me is strange indeed since all they will say is they have strong Christian beliefs. Sorry- but what branch of Christianity is this?  Certainly NOT  the kind that i try to live by so don't go quoting the Bible  as the excuse or i might be tempted to think of a few quotes of my own. The obvious one that springs to mind: -there was no  room for them in the Inn-

kingfisher

« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2010, 09:59:14 AM »

Dear All,

Has anyone else noticed,despite the vigorous debate on this subject,with over 1100 viewings,this is the only serious thread without any comment from that ex Cookham resident now living in Canada.

He probably subscribes to '' Straights Monthly '' as well as ''This England''..  Roll Eyes

CH

« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2010, 10:26:21 AM »

Grin Had been thinking the exact same thing.  Almost worried about him ... maybe he's on his winter holiday.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 10:28:15 AM by CH » Logged
Footie

« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »

CH you might be right..if you are here's to a longer Canadian winter than usual!
BioTappedIn

« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2010, 10:43:55 AM »

I agree Arty. I can't figure out what part of Christianity teaches us to exclude?  As far as I understand being a Christian is to be ‘Christ-like’. Of the stories that I know Jesus always embraced those that others turned their backs on - much to the irritation of the disciples. Jesus was the guy who was inclusive not exclusive and I just can’t reconcile citing ‘Christian’ beliefs as a justification for exclusion.

I do hope the owners of the B&B reconsider their stand on this.

As a Cookham resident I am embarrassed and disappointed at what has happened. It is my belief that what has happened is more out of fear than any belief.  On a positive note at least we have laws that encourage tolerance; we just need a bit more education now!
Cookham Webmaster
Administrator

« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2010, 12:41:01 PM »

From Mr D.B. south wales uk  

I would like to pass on my support to the two people running the hotel,
people must stand up for what they believe in ..I have nothing against gays but people should be able to say no if they wish ..we are supposed to live in a free country but it seems we are free to do as we are told by this government....
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 05:28:48 PM by Cookham Webmaster » Logged
dsc

« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2010, 02:11:51 PM »

As a gay man living in Cookham I was shocked and saddened by the actions of the Swiss B&B of Terry's Lane just around the corner from where I live.  They have discriminated against people on the grounds of their sexual orientation and this is illegal under the The Equality Act (Sexual Orientation) Regulations 2007. Similar laws, incidently also make it illegal for people to dicriminate on the grounds of religion or belief.

I will always now be pestered by unsettling thoughts as I pass by this establishment on my many walks around the area. I have often walked hand in hand with my boyfriend along this lane and I shall be a little less comfortable doing so now that I know there are still people nearby who condemn me.

I hope that the publicity surrounding this issue will enable the owners to become more enlightened about their attitudes to people who are different to them and I regret the support some people have given them on this forum. My money is as good as anyone elses and its rude, upsetting and unfair to be treated in this manner.
Thomas Lee
Administrator

« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2010, 02:42:53 PM »

From Mr D.B. south wales uk  

I would like to pass on my support to the two people running the hotel,
people must stand up for what they believe in ..I have nothing against gays but people should be able to say no if they wish ..we are supposed to live in a free country but it seems we are free to do as we are told by this government....

You are entitled to you view - I have mine. If the gay couple in question were staying under your roof as your guests, then you have the option to allow them to stay, or not. But if you are operating a commerical B&B, then your options are more limited.

It is indeed a free country - you can do what (well nearly) you want in the privacy of your home. But when you are operating a commerical venture there are indeed laws that restrict your options.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 12:29:58 PM by Thomas Lee » Logged
Showem

« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2010, 03:01:59 PM »

Let's clarify things. I'm pretty sure that post written by the Webmaster wasn't the Webmaster's opinion. It is quoted as being someone in Wales. I imagine Mr. "D.B." didn't want to register to the forum to voice an opinion and the Webmaster simply posted an email that was sent.
CH

« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2010, 04:01:04 PM »

Yep that's what I read it as.

Sometimes the Webmaster posts things on other people's behalf and I assumed that's what it was.

Bit odd Mr DB in Wales can't do it himself ... but there you go.
Michael

« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2010, 05:15:39 PM »

John and I are disgusted by the abuse and threats that the Wilkinsons have apparently received. We strongly condemn that, and certainly haven't had any hand in it.

We've been amazed at the publicity this incident has received: on Monday we did 11 interviews (5 TV, 4 radio and 2 newspaper), and there are more lined up. The main point we've made is that we're not attacking the Wilkinsons' right to hold their beliefs, even though we strongly disagree with them. We're attacking the notion that those beliefs somehow put them above the law. If they, or other B&B owners, aren't prepared to provide their service to whoever books rooms, they should consider a career change.

The support we've received has been staggering - not only from the media and friends, but also from complete strangers. We've even had five offers of free accommodation from B&Bs and families wanting to make up for what happened.

It's been very interesting following this thread, and again, many thanks for all the support we've received here.

Cookham Webmaster
Administrator

« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2010, 05:31:08 PM »

You are right Showem and CH. I have made the name larger so people don't get muddled! As CH says cookham.com sometimes has e-mails which people are not sure how to post onto the discussions board themselves.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: