Cookham Discussion Board
January 17, 2018, 07:53:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
18 January 2017 - Open Minds The Teenagers' Debating Group

18 January 2018 - The Archeology of Timber Framed Buildings

20 January 2018 - Make Your Own Nesting Boxes

22 January 2018 - Robbie Burns Faces Mother's Ruin

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nomination for 'Jobsworth of the Month' award  (Read 2721 times)
aj

« on: May 25, 2010, 07:29:28 PM »

I have to grudgingly admire the person (or persons) at First Great Western who worked so hard to cunningly find a way to inconvenience passengers without the usual ploy of cancelling trains at short notice, not using the indicator boards at Maidenhead, and so forth.

No, that's getting boring so why not simply.. ah, brilliant wheeze, Simpkins, that'll get you Employee of the Month... yes, why not.....change the connecting time for the Maidenhead to Bourne End train by just a smidgeon, for no obvious reason. Now it's carefully timed to depart at 18:45 instead of 18:49, just so the train which arrives at 18:45 won't - quite - connect any more. A nice piece of work.

For added annoyance, why bother telling anyone?. Like, a sign, since this was obviously carefully planned well in advance. Yes, thanks for that. It's the little things that count, and I really did appreciate the choice of cooling my heels in the waiting room for 30 minutes or getting a taxi to Cookham for 7 quid.
GeekBoy

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 11:25:39 AM »

Also the 18:42 to Bourne End has now been changed to 18:36, however even though it leaves Paddington earlier it does not arrive at Cookham any sooner but instead now waits at Maidenhead for 15 minutes!

I really don't understand the logic behind this change, now I have less chance of catching the train and if I do make it I don't get home any sooner, madness!  Huh
CH

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 05:13:31 PM »

I've got the same problem as you GeekBoy because the 18.36 is the one I get and I already had to pelt it from work to get there in time.

They have made it a much longer train so that when it gets to Maidenhead they uncouple some of the carriages before it goes up the branch line.  That's where the delay comes in.

As to the reason, I'm only guessing but I assume that they wanted to introduce a faster service to Slough and Maidenhead (it gets into both stations 10 mins earlier than the old train) and thought it would be busier if they did that so have introduced extra capacity.  However, as you say, it now takes longer to Cookham - very irritating to have to sit in Maidenhead for 15 mins.  Angry
Thomas Lee
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 02:04:16 PM »

Following a complaint I have removed a couple of non-topic posts from this thread.

Thomas
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: