Cookham Discussion Board
December 19, 2018, 02:46:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
20 December 2018 - Open Minds - The Teenagers Debating Group

25 December 2018 - Christmas Day Carols by Candlelight

26 December 2018 -  Boxing Day Games

5 January 2019 - BFI Film Academy (ages 16-19)

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spencers  (Read 8369 times)
aj

« on: June 21, 2008, 11:00:12 PM »

When the landlord changed the management at Spencers, the food went disastrously downhill. It saddens me to realise that Chrissy and Roger's fabulous food and service is no more (ah, the chocolate bread and butter pudding....sigh....). Can anyone comment as to whether things have gotten any better now. Our one meal following the change of ownership is etched in my memory, and not in a pleasant way. It's a shame as the ambience of the place is very pleasant, not to mention it's only a short stroll away. I'm scared to risk another encounter, that woman behind the bar was decidedly, er, odd, to be tactful... any recent diners willing to share their opinions?. It always looks deserted these days which doesn't inspire confidence....
jonny
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 02:50:32 AM »

i can understand your dilemma. i went there a few weeks ago with my friends and had a steak and chips meal, to be honest it wasnt the best id had, but id had alot worse in the past. as for the bar, oh my goodness, ive never to this day found a  bar worse that that one. i had a JD and coke, and the coke was flat, and my glass still even had lipstick on it!
Jo Jo

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 12:04:44 PM »

Spencers has had good reviews on the Cookham Reviewer if you look on the Cookham website.
monty
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 04:15:01 PM »

I went there with family food and service was awful will not go again.
juliet
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 02:52:52 PM »

I found Spencers to be fine. They have a good chef and employ local lads in the village to wash up and clean thus providing employment..
Notaspencersfan
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 05:40:55 PM »

I iused to like Spencers but after a run in with the new woman (clearly a rude loony) will not return till she's been given the shove! Ghastly!
Jonathan Messenger
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 11:44:57 AM »

Spencers is in a great location and is a landmark in Cookham.
Imagine it boarded up in the middle of the Pound now longer used (or worse, some flat).
think about it...  Huh
lizzyk

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 12:35:14 PM »

I have always had a pleasant time when visiting Spencers. Good value tasty meals, I agree they are not gourmet standard, but great bar snacks. Also they employ local lads in the kitchen which is great. The current couple running it are temporary. I understand they have been round something like twenty different pubs in their lives as caretakers and they look after them while the owners decide what to do with them.
mike m
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 01:42:33 PM »

i thought spencers had been purchased by a larger chain and was going to be refurbished into a blue beckers or simular.
lizzyk

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 03:11:36 PM »

Spencers has been purchased by Greene King whom I believe are planning a refurbishment and have put in planning permission to extend at the back.
CH

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 09:46:08 PM »

Looks like the planning application has been approved.  You can see all the documents relating to it including plans etc on the RBWM website at http://www.rbwm.gov.uk/eintranet/planning_application_search.jsp?appnum=08%2F01077%2FFULL.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: