Cookham Discussion Board
July 20, 2018, 09:01:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
22 July 2018 - Colonel Garrett Cup Cricket Competition

24 July 2018 - Cookham Medical Centre Closed for Training - 12.30-6.30pm

27 July 2018 - National Trust Bat Walk

28 July 2018 - Live@the Church

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Railway bridge to Maidenhead  (Read 21503 times)
Paris
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2010, 05:34:45 PM »

Yes, but James - you can't possibly resolve any of our local problems whilst you are sitting several thousand miles away with only Google and historical knowledge as your guides. 

We all know why people are having accidents under the bridge - speed, not enough room, poor visibility of what is coming the other way - we don't need you to point them out to us over and over again.

In fact going back to the original posting - I think things are getting worse since the school hols started, are people thinking they can relax as there aren't so many cars on the road in the morning rush hours?   I've had a near miss in the past two days, nearly got bumped off the road by someone squeezing through when they shouldn't have been. So be careful everyone!

Bellyaching is what forum members do best by the way - myself included.
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2010, 06:52:46 PM »

Living outside Cookham has nothing to do with it Paris. Traffic problems are not only exclusive to Cookham, it is a worldwide problem where you have a consentration of people living. Even in North America where towns villages and cities started out with wide wide streets. Speed, and traffic density plus parking is getting to be a problem. The fact remains that Cookham was developed in the horse drawn era and the lanes and roads were built accordingly together with the housing. So believe me I am fully aware of the village problems. As the saying goes "Look outside the box." What you have to do is to stop building more houses within the village. Put pressure on planning autorities to end this crazy expansion.
Paris
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2010, 03:51:34 PM »

'Living outside of Cookham has nothing to do with it' - I think it has everything to do with it considering it is a problem in Cookham that we are talking about.

And as to the house building - well really - I just don't know where you're coming from with that curveball.  It's traffic passing through at peak times rather than houses being built in Cookham causing the problem.  Other people besides locals use the roads you know!!!
monty

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2010, 04:49:34 PM »

Thank you for your comments Paris. I despair at that bridge, the driving is appalling and downright dangerous. Cars speed along that road from Cookham to Maidenhead slamming their brakes on as they hit the bridge. As I have said before nothing will be done by the powers that be until someone is killed or injured and even then I don't suppose they will bother. Drivers must slow down, read the signs and try and be considerate of other drivers. Please just try and be cautious approaching the bridge. It seems to me that drivers coming from Maidenhead try to slam their way through the bridge regardless of what is coming from Cookham.  Cry
BioTappedIn

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2010, 05:33:34 PM »

Maybe a few rumble strips on the Maidenhead side might remind people to slow down. However, it is difficult timing when to drive under the bridge from the Maidenhead side when drivers are speeding from the Cookham side too. 

The bridge creates the worse type of chicane where you can't see the other side!  I'm not a fan of chicanes but as the bridge sort of creates one then it might work to add chicanes either side of it and give right of way to vehicles between the chicanes (i.e. going under the bridge).  This would function a bit like Marlow Bridge ... without the bollards!  As I said, I don't like chicanes but it might work?
monty

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2010, 09:03:18 PM »

Chichanes sounds like a possible way to go, anything to slow the traffic down x
Paris
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2010, 11:23:46 AM »

Chicanes could be the answer - not sure how they'd work on the Maidenhead side - Whytladyes junction might be a bit close for a chicane that side, the first might even need to be beyond the Maidenhead Road junction to slow people enough for what was to follow at the bridge - but I would have thought something could be worked out.
turnip
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2010, 09:21:50 AM »

Same old complaint but I was even more amazed than usual at the sheer lunacy of a "mature lady" driver last night. Not content with blasting along at 30mph+ heading towards Maidenhead, having seen me clearly stopped at the lines waiting for a spot to move out, she drove past, headlights flashing and giving the one finger salute.....incredible. Some people are really not fit to drive and with an attitude like that it will end up up with someone seeking to remonstrate with her "road warrior" mentality.

Beware of a silver Citroen Saxo......
Greygoose

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2010, 10:02:10 AM »

Why not traffic lights. The bridges under the Brunel main line close to the A4 are also narrow and some of them have traffic lights.
monty

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2010, 07:47:13 PM »

I think as always traffic lights come down to cost, It doesn't matter about people's lives as long as they don't spend any money
This bridge is a death trap and until something dreadful happens nothing will be done !!
NeonPants

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2010, 12:13:11 AM »

The biggest dangers around that bridge seem to be the lads that have equipped their automobiles with blue LEDs on the windscreen washers.  More than once, as a pedestrian crossing the road,  I've been forced to step back after checking several times each way as one of these guys heads under the bridge at 40mph+, tyres squealing as they lose traction while braking, engine roaring.
monty

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2010, 09:34:07 PM »

Smiley I am encouraged to see that other road users are as incensced as I am about the agresssive drivers under that bridge. I do not suppose it will serve any purpose to the powers that be but we can live in hope !!!
Canada Old Bill

« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2010, 04:07:18 AM »

Well I am glad to say that since my last visit to Cookham.com this discussion is still going on, the only difference is that I have now been back to Cookham and had the chance to drive under the bridge several times, everyone is right in that its a still a big problem, there is no simple easy and affordable solution.
One way of slowing traffic on either approach is to use speed cameras for approaching rather than the 'normal' Gatso  camera where the vehicle is registered after passing the camera.
Using an approach camera just in front of the bridge, either side of the bridge AND with a reduced speed of 20mph on approach to the bridge will or may just slow the traffic to prevent a major collision under the bridge it self.
I am not now or ever have been a fan of fixed cameras but in this instance it might just do the job, funding, in part, could be from revenue generated.
Shame one never sees comments from the 'local' police and or your local Council members, on this site.
Any ways was nice to visit good old Cookham, once more…one up on James…lol
Showem

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2010, 10:11:05 AM »

Glad you had a good visit. Smiley I want to add that both local police and council members do comment on the site.
Ricardo

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2010, 11:35:05 AM »

... usually when there's an election in the offing.

Wink
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: