Cookham Discussion Board
June 20, 2018, 12:48:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
19 June 2018 - Medical Detection Dogs

19 June 2018 - Part 1 Speak Out

21 June 2018 - Baroque Ensemble Red Priest

21 June 2018 - Open Minds - The Teenagers Debating Group

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bins  (Read 8565 times)
Ambrose W. Rotter

« on: November 01, 2010, 10:33:19 AM »

Anyone know what these are for? They seemed to appear on Friday with no explantion...
Ricardo

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 12:09:17 PM »

http://www.rbwm.gov.uk/web/2510_recycling_rewards_blue_bin_roll_out_phase_one.htm
Chicken
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 05:11:04 PM »

These bins are great, but why can't we recycle ALL plastics? All the plastic packaging we get for meat, vegetables and fruit is recycyclable. Also, is everyone aware that there is a recycle facility at the green waste part of the dump (forget the fancy title they give it nowadays) for tetrapaks? These are the square packs with plastic twist tops that you get fruit juice and soya milk in.
Showem

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 11:11:41 AM »

I agree Chicken, I think it's ridiculous that they only accept bottles for the plastics. I'm guessing it's not enough ROI for the recycling company involved.
Thomas Lee
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 11:50:09 AM »

These bins are great, but why can't we recycle ALL plastics?

Great question - turns out that recycling plastics is not all that easy and as I understand it, the Maidenhead scheme does not currently cater for it. I think we just need to keep pressure on both the RB (to recycle plastic!) but also on the supermarkets to stop all the plastic. We get our veg from Riverford - and there all the packaging is not only recyclable, but the containers are compostable.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 12:34:14 PM by Thomas Lee » Logged
Johnson

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 08:04:49 AM »

Heard about this on the news yesterday so hopefully soon everything will be recyclable !!

http://www.sita.co.uk/news-and-views/press-releases/sita-uk-subsidiary-of-suez-environnement-and-cynar

J
Jabber
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 12:52:30 PM »

SITA UK has their Head Office in Maidenhead!
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »

I am quite heartened by the number who want to recycle. Even though I live on a roof-top flat, I do have a small potted plant garden of roses and other flowers. So I have found that I can make my own potting soil. Have a look at this blog it may give you some ideas.

http://widbrook4.blogspot.com
Paris
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 05:14:02 PM »

We're not talking about composting James.  We're talking about the market driven recycling programmes that waste companies in this country provide, and therefore what we are able to put (or not) into our recycling bins.
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 08:09:48 PM »

Paris! What is composting if it is not recycling! If you read all the posts, some were talking about compost. For instance to quote Thomas Lee.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 08:15:33 PM by James Hatch » Logged
Paris
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 11:22:41 AM »

James, of course composting is recycling.  But, if you actually read the threads above, and don't just focus on one element that is actually a side comment, you will see that our main concern is the plastics and other packaging used for fruit, vegetables and other foodstuffs; not the actual compostable element.

We have separate green bins, by subscription, for our compostables.  The subject of this thread are the blue bins for all other recyclable materials. 

Stick to the point.
localmum

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 12:04:40 PM »

Why do they say bottles only?  I recycle all PET1 and PET2 packaging which includes most bottles and some packing for things like soft fruit.  These are the plastic types that are currently commonly recyclable so why can we recycle bottles made of those plastics but not other things?
Fluffy
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 12:05:11 PM »

We were surprised to receive a blue bin as we do not have a wheelie bin for our general rubbish collection. As we have nowhere to store a wheelie bin the council provides us with black plastic bags. I called the council to find out what alternative arrangements have been made for households such as ours and was told there is no alternative. We have been told that the blue bin will be collected and we won’t be able to recycle anymore. Well done RBWM

wannabe
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 01:14:51 PM »

Why do they say bottles only?  I recycle all PET1 and PET2 packaging which includes most bottles and some packing for things like soft fruit.  These are the plastic types that are currently commonly recyclable so why can we recycle bottles made of those plastics but not other things?
I've been recycling all those things in the purple bin. If everyone did it in the blue bins it would pressurise the authority to deal with it. If they refused to take it away all the recycling  could all go in the black bins and missing targets would force them to do something. No wonder that uk ltd are far behind in recycling.
If Tesco can deal with my carrier bags why can't the local authority.
Paris
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 04:06:20 PM »

localmum - I think they say bottles only because not everyone in the Royal Borough is conscientious enough to read the recycling symbols on their packaging if they identify an item in particular as being able to be recycled it saves the numpty element from having to think too much.  Not ideal I know, but that's the only reason I can think of, and only then because I'm aware of a communal collection point where some of the residents can't even get the hang of what counts as recycling and put all their stuff, regardless of what it constitutes into whichever bin is nearest the door of the bin store.  So probably nothing from that site gets recycled.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: