Cookham Discussion Board
June 23, 2018, 05:18:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
23 June 2018 - Charity Bake Sale

23 June 2018 - Cookham Dean Primary School Summer Fete

23 June 2018 - Cantorum Choir - Stars of the Summer Night

24 June 2018 - Cookham Dean Charity Croquet and Tennis Tournament

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Driver taking photographs of other drivers in Cookham  (Read 16461 times)
Winter

« on: July 15, 2008, 07:22:42 PM »

Driving through Cookham tonight I followed a car where the driver had some sort of camera on his windscreen that was photographing other drivers as he passed them. I could clearly see the viewfinder and the blink of a light as he pressed the shutter. No way he was the police, it was a Y-reg green Renault Megane. Anyone else seen him around?
Rob
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 10:58:02 PM »

After my insurance comany paid out the other party for an accident for which I was totally blameless I fitted a video camera to my car. It broke some time ago but I am considering replacing it again. Amongst other things it makes you think hard about the standard of your own driving because everything is being recorded.
(It wasn't me you saw but it might be in future.)
old bill

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 08:03:45 AM »

did you get the whole registration number if so can you contact me on 07817817550 thanks
paris
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 10:58:52 AM »

Sounds like that bloke I saw on one of those road wars type programmes.  They actually showed footage of him driving through Cookham and recording other drivers actions; if it is the same fella, according to what he said on the telly, he then posts any bits of film that he believes show people driving incorrectly on the internet. 
Rob
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 12:50:16 PM »

I saw that too although a search on the net last night failed to turn anything up.
jamescookham
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 08:57:23 AM »

It was this site http://www.betterdrivingplease.com/
jamescookham
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 09:01:03 AM »

In fact if you search for cookham on the site (white search box) there are hundereds of photos of cars on there. Including mine.

Old Bill - is it not illegal to post photographs of someone online without permission (even if its just thier property and not actualy a facial image?)
paris
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 10:01:00 AM »

I've just taken a look at the website and to be honest, I couldn't quite believe my eyes.  How on earth can these people be allowed to do this?  If CCTV in public places has be be signed so that we all know we're being filmed, how come these people can, without our knowledge, be publishing stuff like this for the whole world to see?
BT1
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 10:30:18 AM »

What did you search under to find the pictures?
Road Runner
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 12:16:07 PM »

If it were illegal to take photographs of people's cars or even people behaving badly the press would have to close, along with U-Tube, the Cookham website and probably most media. If someone states something is untrue eg using a mobile when you are not you can always take that person to court for libel or slander. So if what was stated about Paris is untrue then there may be a case for complaint.
CH

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 12:28:26 PM »

Blimy, had a look at the website and this person looks like they drive around all the time taking photos of every car that approaches them and then looking to see what transgressions the driver may be doing.  Think about it - how would they know that e.g. someone was driving with a dog on their lap (for goodness sakes) when they weren't even level with the car.

I'd ask about whether this individual is driving with due care and attention themselves if they are taking photos of cars and then looking away from the road into the other vehicles to see what the driver may be getting up to.

I'm not sure whether to shrug my shoulders with disbelief, hope the police give him a good talking to and/or shout 'GET YOURSELF A LIFE!!!!'.  Have they nothing better to do with their time?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 12:31:00 PM by CH » Logged
paris
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 02:11:36 PM »

What was said about me?
mike

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 05:17:28 PM »

Imagine the teenagers when they find this site!!!

They will compete to get the most reds ambers etc, how stupid.

The guy must be from cookham area and have way to much time on his hands, he should not be to difficult to spot though
rain jacket, sandwiches, flask and of course a camera

Rob
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 11:32:11 PM »

I'd be upset to find myself on there but only because I would have appeared to be lacking in driving ability. All it says to me is that sufficient resource is not being deployed in roads policing or that penalties are not sufficient to deter poor driving. You shouldn't assume that persons taking these photos are necessarily putting ayone at risk by doing so. Some satnavs are fitted with cameras, a dashboard fitted device is also available for less than 100. Anyone spotting others poor driving is clearly paying attention to the road ahead. I had on board video fitted to my car for quite a while. It really concentrates the mind because your own driving is also recorded. I don't have a problem with this at all.
Super Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2008, 08:23:24 AM »

What a sad git this pseudo vigilante seems to be. Maybe we should all club together and buy him a cape and spandex suit and call him Captain Road Warrior. Fighting for injustice and protecting the innocent..... Grin
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: