Cookham Discussion Board
June 21, 2018, 05:58:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
19 June 2018 - Medical Detection Dogs

19 June 2018 - Part 1 Speak Out

21 June 2018 - Baroque Ensemble Red Priest

21 June 2018 - Open Minds - The Teenagers Debating Group

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Holy Trinity Parish Centre Community Project  (Read 46042 times)
Daffodil

« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2011, 07:01:47 PM »

For those not aware, copies of the minutes of the meetings of the Parochial Church Council (who own the Parish Centre building) are available for public viewing in Holy Trinity Church, they are kept in a folder to the left of the main door. I went in earlier today but the minutes for the meeting on Wednesday 22nd are not available yet. The minutes for the two meetings in May made interesting reading though. One mentions that if the aprtments are not able to be sold 'off plan' then the whole project will not go ahead and the £40,000 (yes, £40,000!) spent on the proposal will be able to be recouped by 'selling off parcels of church land'. Doesn't mention where these might be however. There is also mention of garages being built for the apartments, presumably to the rear of the current Parish Centre and presumably the reason why the 'car park option' site was never really an option. The more I hear about this project the more secretive and misleading it becomes. 
John Pomeroy
« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2011, 02:00:34 AM »

As a great lover of both this area and its community, I have been lying awake tonight wondering what the few privileged souls on the HTC planning committee have decided they are going to do with our beautiful village.
From what we understand so far, although as usual never confirmed by them, it appears the plans are changing to something different and smaller, somewhere different. This being the case, and given the overwhelming concern over the whole way the original questionnaire was put together, distributed and counted, I am assuming they will need to go back out for re-validated community support.
As they have already spent a fortune on plans that no longer have any relevance and I am assuming funds are getting pretty low, they will be unable to afford any smart PR agency to assist in the putting together of a new survey, so I thought maybe, I could offer some help keeping the same layout as their original (go look at original and compare)!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Proposal for a new Parish Community Centre
As a subsequent stage in this process, Holy Trinity Church (HTC) is proposing, subject to the relevant planning consents, plans to build a small inadequate Parish Community Cabin as a poor substitution of the existing facility for local activities and organizations.
1.   It would also like to destroy part of the beautiful “paddock”, chopping down a variety of long established trees and making the area far less enjoyable for camping and people that enjoy the abundance of nature this area provides.
2.   HTC is nervous about encouraging others to use the new resource to introduce new community initiatives because it may only be big enough to accommodate those who already us it.
3.   The existing Parish Centre is currently used by about 18 different community organizations involving around 200 people for about 50 hours per week, none of whom have expressed an issue with the existing facilities. 80% of it usage is daytime and 20% evenings. 80% of its users are non-Church related.
4.   The new Parish Community Cabin would be an off-the-peg design, smaller than the existing Parish Community Centre, with less charm than the current grade 2 listed building but much cheaper to run and immediately adjacent to the existing facility.
5.   The new Parish Community Cabin would be part of a wider scheme that would enable us to convert the existing desirable building that the current Parish Community Centre resides in along with 3 flats, into 4 apartments, 3 of which we would sell off and one we would rent.
6.   The proposed new Parish Community Cabin would be built elsewhere in the church grounds. The most likely position being on the edge of the Paddock where we are already removing trees in front of the existing Parish Community Centre.
7.   There wasn’t a number 7 in the original document but I would propose the following here; In addition to this mailer which you may or may not receive depending on how we feel, your children may bring one home that will look like it has been written by your head teacher but in fact they will have had no part in it its composition nor will it be signed by them!
8.   The financial resources that would be realized from the conversion and sale of 3 apartments would be between …..
•   Have no idea on costs here as I guess the hut will be cheaper than the original £625k estimate.
•   Restore and develop its Grade 2 listed Church building over the next 3-5 years – a minimum of £330,000 is required to be spent (we have already received over 2/3 of this in donations since this process started).
•   Provide a reserve fund for future Church restoration and repairs.
•   Assist Holy Trinity Church of England Primary school in School Lane with its extra classroom building plan.**
•   Provide funds for addressing local social needs and supporting local charitable causes. (Providing they don’t need to use the hut because it’s smaller than what we have now!).
•   Provide a focal point for encouraging community engagement services. (they can assess the impact of building  21st century hut in surroundings that date back to before the timber was planted).
Despite having an enviable reputation of always being able to raise sufficient funds through charitable activities (and we are talking over the last 1200 years) the Church Council is determined in its resolve to raise funds through property speculation and destroying local landscape irrespective of its impact on dividing the local community including those within the church.
**Over its entire history Holy Trinity Church has never before donated money to Holy Trinity C of E primary school, however the fact that by doing so under these circumstances it may play in our favour with the local council (Holy Trinity C of E primary schools only other source of funding) this was considered by the select few on the Church Council to be a worthwhile investment (one of whom just happens to be a school governor).
We may at some point decide to hold another public display of our proposals, but we will need to do a lot more research than we had done for the last one as we all found that extremely uncomfortable.
Daffodil

« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2011, 08:29:10 PM »

Holy Trinity has now issued a press release regarding their plans which can be found at

http://www.holytrinitycookham.org.uk/welcome.htm
wannabe
Administrator

« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2011, 10:59:52 PM »

I might be missing it but the press release seems to omit the provision of luxury apartments for the well heeled.
Eagle

« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2011, 11:19:40 PM »

Do people really want to live next to a churchyard? I suppose the advantage is that it will be quiet and that there will be no arguments with the neighbours!

We might be a picturesque village but we are in need of housing for the children that grew up in the village (church goers or not) who wish to continue to live in this lovely place and bring up their own families. What we should be doing is agreeing where the future generations are going to live whilst preserving Cookhams heritage instead of being a NIMBY!

Daffodil

« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2011, 09:11:58 AM »

I'm finding it difficult to extract a definitive answer about what HTC are planning from the press release and Q and As. Is the project now effectively on hold?
Kiki1

« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2011, 11:04:26 PM »

Do people really want to live next to a churchyard? I suppose the advantage is that it will be quiet and that there will be no arguments with the neighbours!

We might be a picturesque village but we are in need of housing for the children that grew up in the village (church goers or not) who wish to continue to live in this lovely place and bring up their own families. What we should be doing is agreeing where the future generations are going to live whilst preserving Cookhams heritage instead of being a NIMBY!

I doubt very much any children would be able to afford the properties without help, unless they really were successful entrepreneurs, or a lottery winner.  I live within 300m of a huge churchyard and tbh, it is a place I prefer to walk past/through, as in almost all weathers there is something new going on, and yes, it is pleasantly quiet compared to the common walkways and side roads.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 11:07:07 PM by Kiki1 » Logged
concerned

« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2011, 08:33:27 PM »

Good letter in Maidenhead Advertiser from John Pomeroy - can it go unanswered?
concerned

« Reply #98 on: August 01, 2011, 07:47:16 PM »

Did you all hear about the vicar's announcement in church on Sunday?  A benefactor has given money on condition  there is no building on the paddock.  Wonderful news, generous gift and perhaps it will be an end to the unpleasantness on both sides of the fence.
concerned

« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2011, 08:01:57 PM »

Have you all read the PCC Minutes at the back of the church?  Some of us had viewed "the paddock" as the whole area between the churchyard and the ends of the gardens of the houses in Berries Road.  The wooded area is not part of the paddock and the possible sale of this is under discussion with some of the adjoining owners.  Over the years the grassed area has shrunk by being "undermown" and the wooded area now includes a fair width of brambles etc.  So much for the nature trail proposed by the PCC when they wanted to build there.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  

Jump to: