Cookham Discussion Board
June 24, 2018, 12:16:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
23 June 2018 - Charity Bake Sale

23 June 2018 - Cookham Dean Primary School Summer Fete

23 June 2018 - Cantorum Choir - Stars of the Summer Night

24 June 2018 - Cookham Dean Charity Croquet and Tennis Tournament

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 58
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's see how much history we can dig up? :----------------------  (Read 323991 times)
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #765 on: June 17, 2016, 09:03:12 PM »

The Mrs. Allan at Elmstead, Monty, was the mother of Nina, Godfrey and Peter. Her husband Alwyn was in the RAF during the war, and was a member of the John Lewis Partnership.
Mrs. Stanton lived in a bungalow at the back of the Kings Arms. The Miss Drew you mentioned was also sister to Dolly Drew who taught at the Top School, and traveled from Wargrave every day by train. The Mrs. Balfour Allan, I think lived at Lodene Grays, next door to St George's Lodge and is now part of the John Lewis Partnership. I know that before the war she paid for a end of school party in July and Christmas. The food was catered by Bromley's in the High Street.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 09:05:41 PM by James Hatch » Logged
monty

« Reply #766 on: June 17, 2016, 09:17:21 PM »

I think I must have started school at Holy Trinity in 1945 I remember going to school in a boat in 1947 and the flood waters can=me up to out outside toilet in Terrys Lane where \I lived with my grandparents Fred and Mary Robinson
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #767 on: June 21, 2016, 12:09:33 AM »

The next piece of my Cookham History corcerns not only a lot of Cookham villagers, but quite a lot people both in the UK and in America. Nancy Witcher Langhorn, better known to everyone including  Sir Winston Churchill as Lady Nancy Astor, member of parliament for Plymouth and the first woman sit as a member in Westminster.

https://youtu.be/IRhF_FNA26w

Roger

« Reply #768 on: June 21, 2016, 12:29:30 AM »

Lady Nancy Astor by John Singer Sargeant

« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 12:35:49 AM by Roger » Logged
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #769 on: June 27, 2016, 08:34:53 PM »

We now move back to the village high street and that of another artist of the village, this time not in oils or water colours, but in wrought iron.

https://youtu.be/ID_dylZcZXM
Dragonman

« Reply #770 on: June 28, 2016, 03:04:30 PM »

How do you do it James, you certainly captured old Tom's drawling voice.
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #771 on: June 29, 2016, 03:59:21 PM »

I think Dragonman, it all goes back to when I was a nipper and I use to mimic characters that I heard on the radio in children's hour and other programmes, like Toy Town, with Larry the Lamb, and his little whaling voice. Or the stern voice of Ernest the Policeman.
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #772 on: July 02, 2016, 12:19:32 AM »

My Thoughts of late have been reflecting once more on my school days at Holy Trinity and later at the Secondary Modern on High Road, better known back then as The Top School. One of the subjects that were on the curriculum was singing. Most of our teachers could play the piano. The songs that we were taught covered most of the well-known English Folk Songs. One of which I have used to give a title to this blog. The opening verse I still remember well:
Good morrow, Gossip Joan,
Where have you been a-walking?
I have for you at home;
I have for you at home
A budget full of talking,
Gossip Joan.
The style of the wording of the lyrics also brought home to us the English of the day when it was first written. Another folk song that I enjoyed because of the descant in it was:
 A Keeper did a hunting go.
Jackie Boy - Master
Sing you well - Very well
Hey down-ho down, derry derry down
Among the leaves so green-o
To my hey down down- To my ho down down
Hey down-ho down, derry derry down
Among the leaves so green-o
Also during those singing lessons that the vicar used to attend to recruit choristers for the church choir. Ah! Happy Memories!

James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #773 on: July 10, 2016, 06:40:06 PM »

My thoughts are still with Holy Trinity School on the day that I was invited to attend the Friday morning school assembly. Students in this clip will now be in their middle 20's. I do have a lot more as I went from class to class that Friday morning.

https://youtu.be/KkAbHVuHMCQ
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #774 on: July 12, 2016, 06:42:28 PM »

I have just received an e-mail in my Junk Mail from Phil, which is all jumbled about Lightlands. Can you post your question here, or on the Proposed Chicken Farm.
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #775 on: July 14, 2016, 08:52:35 PM »

Further to the jumble queerie from Phil I have come up with the history as I know it from the early 1900's. Also the red line designates the footpath from the Maidenhead Road to Strand Lane.

https://youtu.be/2rxjIeDt3kI
monty

« Reply #776 on: July 14, 2016, 09:11:45 PM »

James this man has been refused twice to open a chicken farm on this site, he is still going on with this plans in spite of this. He is digging up the field putting down hard stands, this will change the flood plain. A lot of residents have complained to the council still  has done  nothing has been done to move this man from the field. |It is so depressing to realise the council is doing nothing.
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #777 on: July 14, 2016, 11:26:42 PM »

Hi Monty, I know how upsetting it is to everyone. This Driver character certainly does not understand that he wasting time and money on a water meadow. Water that is flowing freely underground just a few feet, even in the driest of summers. It will rise as the river level rises. Why do you think it got the name of Lightland's, It was due to the fact that top soil is very shallow, before you reach gravel. Our forefathers had a reason to name fields the way they did.
It seems to me that the present owner is a Xxxxx or because he has built on the land, he hopes he can go ahead and develop it, as you can see with Cannon Court Farm.Waste money to make money.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 03:54:15 PM by Cookham Webmaster » Logged
Dragonman

« Reply #778 on: July 18, 2016, 07:59:53 PM »

A good amount of farming logic behind what you say. It seems that Waldorf Astor did listen to members of his farm staff when it came to the use of ground that he purchased to expand White Place Farm, and how it was utilized.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 10:36:41 PM by Dragonman » Logged
Dragonman

« Reply #779 on: July 21, 2016, 10:40:33 PM »

It would be better if the pasture was returned to a double crop of hay production, and the produce bales sold to local stables for winter use.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 58
  Print  

Jump to: