Cookham Discussion Board
November 19, 2018, 06:46:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
24 November 2018 - Community Tree Planting Day

24 November 2018 - Live@the Church

28 November 2018 - Give Blood at the Pinder Hall

1 December 2018 -  Pop Up Sri Lanken Restaurant at the Old Butchers

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 60
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's see how much history we can dig up? :----------------------  (Read 364235 times)
Interested
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2008, 05:41:31 PM »

Facinating stuff in this discussion. I'm relatively new to Cookham Dean and it's great to hear about the old memories. Just wondering if anyone has any old photographs they can share, and selfishly I would be very interested to see some around Bigfrith common and the Jolly Farmer and Church. 
Rover
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2008, 06:05:51 PM »

Interested, there are a few old photos of Cookham Dean on the Cookham website. If you go to www.cookham.com and scroll down the left hand menu they are in Photogallery under the section About Cookham. Choose Old Cookham for some old photos.
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2008, 06:06:45 PM »

Welcome aboard "Just Installed" Village history abounds and that is why this section was started. My suggestion is that you drop Liz Kwantes at Cookham.com an e-mail. I am sure she will be pleased to direct you.
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2008, 05:01:22 PM »

Thinking about "Slogger" Smith brings to mind another football wiz-kid. As the Slogger was tall, this lad was very small and quick on his feet. Another Charlie! This time it was Charlie "Waggle" Coles, he lived up in Cookham Dean and had a sister Edith.
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2008, 06:05:22 PM »

The original sign over the door of the Gate Hotel had this phrase:

The Gate hangs high,
and hinders none.
Refresh and pay,
and travel on.

So there is a little change from later wording. But there as I have always said phrases do change like:

The General in a battle zone sent word down via the trench network:

"Send reinforcements, I'm going to advance!"

at HQ the message was received:

"Send three and fourpence I'm going to a dance!"
CH

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2008, 10:18:36 PM »

Please, someone save us from this!
bemused
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2008, 09:53:23 AM »

Who is this lunatic that has launched a one man spam offensive against the boards?
Andy
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2008, 11:17:05 AM »

Whose complaining, bemused? James Hatch has livened up the website no end and this lighthearted look at Cookham's history is interesting. It's about time we had a bit of fun on these discussions instead of all the moaning and sniping we sometimes get about what is happening here now.

We are still waiting to hear about the pot of ale measure, James - all I could find  as a 'pot of ale' was a measure of two quarts, but would your grandfather really have drunk that in one go very time he went into the pub?
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2008, 05:05:24 PM »

Thank you for your kind words Andy. Alright I will keep you waiting no longer. A "POT" measure is a quart. In Europe of course it is still carried out with the "Stein" which I believe is one litre. Farm workers when Haymaking or at Harvest, you would always find a barrel of beer in the shade for the men to quench their thirst. Today of course people run around with plastic bottles of water.
hayley
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2008, 07:18:15 AM »

care bear ..............
Archimedes

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2008, 10:31:00 AM »

I don't think it is as symplistic as that James. If a planning application is put in, which in the case of CD Post Office it has been, the council will look at whether the plans meet the planning rules or not, which are quite specific. A group of people going to the council saying we want our old post office and stores back is not reason for the Council not to grant planning permission. If we fight the plans on some other reason, which may be difficult and I am not sure what they could be, what do we want, an empty store that slowly goes to rack and ruin? If we can't find someone to take on the whole business, we may be better off with some flats and a smaller store with possibly the owners on site, at least we have a store and Post Office not an empty shop.
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2008, 02:49:08 PM »

It might not be simplistic! On the other hand it is no good sitting back and bemoaning the fact in your computer chair!!!
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2008, 08:45:10 PM »

Now let us get back to history: Bombs fell in the Cookham area during the second world war. Question: Can anyone tell me where? One very large bomb shrapnel fragment landed in Cookham High Street. Where did it go on show for the longest time?
Marie
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2008, 11:03:22 AM »

Am not old enough to have had first hand experience, but was told they were dropped in the early morning in a line close to Long Lane, Kennel Lane and the field off Terrys Lane near Greythatch. Don't know the date. Where was one on display?
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2008, 04:43:14 PM »

Well Marie you were good enough to ask some old timers what they remember. So you are deserving of a quick reply:

The bomb I was thinking of in particular landed very close to the railway bridge crossing the Thames. As with all boys we had to go and see the crater for ourselves. I will be describing and show the exact location in the near future in my Blog " Historical Cookham "  This blog is of fact that I have known personally and happened while I was living in Cookham.

The large piece of shrapnel that landed in the High Street was between the Kings Arms and what was then Dudley Sims the Butchers. The fragment was for the longest time part of the window display in the butchers shop.

The others I knew of but, as I did not see the craters at that time I can give no exact location.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 07:42:57 PM by James Hatch » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 60
  Print  

Jump to: