Cookham Discussion Board
July 15, 2018, 11:57:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
13 July 2018 -  Stanley Spencer - Self Portrait

14 July 2018 - Men's Breakfast

17 July 2018 - Part 2 Speak Out

15 July 2018 - Strawberry Tea

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1880 and 1901 census. Details for Ovens family, of the Grove.  (Read 2049 times)
morrowmm

« on: May 07, 2011, 01:24:40 PM »

I am attempting to fill in some gaps on my Grandmother who was born in Cookham in 1880-1881 to James and Elizabeth Ovens.
Her father worked as a gardener at a place called the Grove (Lodge?) in 1880 but by 1901 had moved to an illegible road called either Risbar or Risf?? road, still in Cookham.
Any one who can point me in the right direction on both The Grove or the real spelling of the road?
Many thanks,
Martin Morrow
Bagheera

e tenebris lux

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 08:18:09 PM »

Could be Risborough Road in Maidenhead - they are largely Victorian properties, I think.
Old Cookhamite

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 05:00:28 PM »

The Grove was a large house in extensive grounds which overlooked the Thames to the east of Cookham Bridge, occupied by the Fleming/Goolden family in the late 19th century. It was later destroyed by fire and a smaller house now stands on the site. The Grove became part of the John Lewis Partnership estate, which includes Lullebrook Manor, on the opposite side of Odney Lane.

Grove Lodge is a small cottage which still stands next to the gateway of The Grove, in Odney Lane. The estate also contained staff accommodation at the stables and coach house, which may have housed the Ovens family.

I'm sure that Bagheera must be right about the date of Risborough Road.  It is in St Luke’s parish on the north side of Maidenhead, which was formerly in Cookham parish.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 05:10:40 PM by Old Cookhamite » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: