Cookham Discussion Board
June 20, 2018, 08:07:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
19 June 2018 - Medical Detection Dogs

19 June 2018 - Part 1 Speak Out

21 June 2018 - Baroque Ensemble Red Priest

21 June 2018 - Open Minds - The Teenagers Debating Group

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Plea To All Dog Owners...  (Read 6111 times)
whyteladye

« on: April 14, 2011, 12:30:36 PM »

Can I make a plea to all dog owners to PLEASE PICK UP AFTER YOUR DOGS even if it is out in the countryside and not on paved pathways.

I regularly take my baby out in her pushchair for walks around the village, including our country lanes and footpaths, and the mess I keep accidentally treading in and pushing the buggy through really is disgusting.  Also, on a warm day - as it starts to cook in the sunshine - the smell is pretty awful.

I've even met people on my walks that are visitors to the area who have commented on it too.  Do we really want Cookham to be known for this???

Dog owners regularly refer to their pooches as their 'babies' so let me ask you how you would feel if I left my daughters nappy contents strewn across footpaths and roads for YOU to walk in???  I'm sure you wouldn't be very happy.

Oh, and one more point, if you do pick it up and put it in a bag - don't just leave throw it in a bush.  Lady with the black labrador by the river the other day who thought noone was looking - I SAW YOU!

So please, will you just pick it up?
Simes

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 01:43:31 PM »

Some interesting ways of tackling the problem from Monday's Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2011/apr/11/crackdown-on-dog-mess

Kiki1

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 11:57:34 AM »

Love it, chinese lanterns for dogs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUbVjIswSbg
Waterman

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 08:34:21 PM »

Apparently, there are plans to put a bin or two on Marsh Meadow, so that may help. The path along the golf course, near the car park at Terry's Lane, is usually full of dog mess too. (And before anyone accuses me of persecuting dogs, I'll just repeat that I love dogs. There just seem to be a lot of careless owners.)
kingfisher

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 06:48:54 PM »

I walked along Marsh Meadow this morning and spotted at least 5 ''poo bags''.. What's the point of bagging it and then throwing it away in the hedge IN A BAG Huh,,at least if you left it ( i'm not suggesting you do) it would eventually rot away, it's got no chance of rotting in a bag!!!!!!!!!!

TEX

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 09:29:16 AM »

>:(i say again what about the human mess plastic bags tin cans littering all the lovely
spots around cookham at least dog mess will rot away , not that I think it is ok for dog owners to leave there dogs mess everywhere, I just feel very upset when i go for a nice
walk , and all you see is this mess everywhere, yet all we seem to get on this web site
is complaints about dogs mess, and nothing about all the rubbish that is left everywhere
Tex     
Gazzetta

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 12:21:33 PM »

Certainly always a lot of mess at Odney after a weekend of fine weather, including scorch marks from disposable BBQ's placed directly on the ground.  There was also someone camping, which I am sure is not permissible.
Waterman

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 02:34:59 PM »

Tex, the litter problem has been raised before, as a matter of fact - I agree that it's getting worse. No one is suggesting that you can't deal with litter as well as dog mess. The trouble  is that when this issue is raised, other people then tend to come in with complaints that dogs are being targeted instead of litter louts or crazed mums in 4x4s! And then the conversation spins off in all directions and nothing gets done. Can't we all just agree that dog mess, litter and traffic are all problems, and that we have to deal with them separately.

The number of poo bags is definitely on the increase. Very weird. Some walkers leave them on the ground so that they can pick them up on the way back to the car park. But others have been lying around for weeks.
Pongo

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 03:20:39 PM »

Mandy Brar organised a river bank rubbish clearance very recently and is planning another for anyone who would like to help.

Just like to say thank you to people who came along to give us a hand with the rubbish clearance, that was Cindy Barnes and her Husband, Sue Teesdale, Fiona Hewer, Mac, Gwen Tyler, Mr Blair and another gentleman whose name I forgot and myself. We are thinking we will do this every couple of months and it looked much nicer along the riverbank once all the rubbish was cleared.

Perhaps we should have rubbish wardens with cameras!! Don't we have a Community Warden who could possibly give some ideas?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 03:22:17 PM by Pongo » Logged
Dragonman

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 07:47:53 PM »

Funny, some dogs are a creature of habit. My yellow labrador always goes off the path to find a tall clump of grass. If your pooch wants to do it in the middle of the path, then use a plastic bag, but make sure it is of the bio-type so that it will rot down with time.
Kiki1

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 10:36:50 AM »

Funny, some dogs are a creature of habit. My yellow labrador always goes off the path to find a tall clump of grass. If your pooch wants to do it in the middle of the path, then use a plastic bag, but make sure it is of the bio-type so that it will rot down with time.

No matter how careful the owner might be in picking up the excrement there will always be some residue that will collect on bicycle wheels, wheelchairs, shoes, childrens buggies, and childrens clothing.

The correct answer would be to pull pooch off the path, and dispose whatever is collected at one of the bins supplied by the taxpayer.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: