Cookham Discussion Board
April 19, 2018, 04:33:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
19 April 2018 - Open Minds - The Teenagers Debating Group

22 April 2018 - Odney Club - Open Garden

24 April 2018 - Give Blood at the Pinder Hall

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "I'm Bored"  (Read 6865 times)
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« on: August 16, 2008, 06:54:15 PM »

How many times do we hear from our children “I’m Bored” or  “ It’s Boring.” This of course if not checked goes on into adult life. Oh yes! Like it or not this is the truth. You the reader may or may not agree, but I am talking from a grandparent’s observation on life and how my children and grandchildren are responding to life and what goes on around them.

I have just heard a very good description of a bored person on the radio as I am writing this blurb: A bored person is one who lounges on a “Lard Wagon” (settee) and watches the “One eyed Monster” (television), or sits with some futuristic war game that needs very little effort or brain power to operate.

From an early age children need to have their questions answered in a full and understandable manner, not brushed off with you will be told about that when you are older. Questions show an enquiring mind, and a young mind should not stunted by the adult brush off. Children should be allowed invent things for themselves and help them discover the laws of nature. How a little boy watching his mother’s kettle lid bob up and down discovered the power of steam and went on to build the first steam engine. Children should be encouraged read or be read to from an early age. “Swallows and Amazons” by Arthur Ransom is one that comes to mind for a starter. Adventure of this type should be encouraged. Making a simple toy by themselves such as a “Cotton Reel Motor.” This can be made from items that you will find in every household. Children will get more enjoyment out of something that they have made or done, than any expensive battery powered gizmo.
Aesop
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 07:08:35 PM »

I'm beginning to think this is a spoof...  Roll Eyes
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 07:56:42 PM »

No Spoof Aesop! Have you never built a Cotton Reel Motor?

All you need is:

1 Cotton Reel (Empty)
1 Elastic Band
1 Thumb Tack
1 Half inch section of candle with wick removed.
1 Spent match stick or a toothpick

Now assemble it and make it work, or get some bright child to show you!
Showem

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 08:56:18 PM »

James, get yourself a blog and stop cluttering up a discussion board that is meant for topics specifically about Cookham. It's great that you are internet-savvy and I'm sure there must a few who were interested in your questions/stories about Cookham a few decades ago. But general randomness and reminisces of yours don't belong here.
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 09:43:26 PM »

Oh! but is does Showem! The history of this village should be of interest to all who live here. The village has quite a rich one which should be preserved and maintained. When others with a don't care attitude come in and try steam rollering their ideas all over the place. You will find that quite a few of the older residents of long standing are of the same belief.
Showem

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 10:43:43 PM »

Yes, the history should be maintained, I can agree to that. However, none of the posts in this topic has a whit to do with Cookham history. If I am one of the "others" you refer to with a don't care attitude, you'll find yourself mistaken. I am active member of Cookham life, unlike yourself, basking in the glow of rose-coloured memories from over in Canada.
Sylvie
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 07:44:13 PM »

James Hatch's varied messages have really brightened up the website, which had gone rather quiet, and his remiscences about Cookham in the past are particularly fascinating - you can tell this from the number of people reading them.  If only there were more people living here of his generation who would join in with theirs. 

There have been several dicussions in past months which were not particularly about Cookham, but still enjoyed. If you don't want to read James's input to the website, Showem, it is not a requirement - ignore what you don't want to read and click upon the next subject, just as you would switch channels from a TV programme of no particular interest.
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 12:35:41 AM »

Smiley Thank you Sylvie. I am honoured by your comments. First of all I take after my father, grandfather and great grandfather for calling a spade a spade. Or as we say here in Victoria. "If the hat fits. Wear it!" Maybe that is why I never became a Politician."
flower

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 09:13:28 AM »

who cares. boring "dull and lacking interest. dull, tedious, uninteresting" that is what boring means.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: