Cookham Discussion Board
June 20, 2018, 08:18:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
19 June 2018 - Medical Detection Dogs

19 June 2018 - Part 1 Speak Out

21 June 2018 - Baroque Ensemble Red Priest

21 June 2018 - Open Minds - The Teenagers Debating Group

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is it geting any better?
Better? - 6 (85.7%)
Worse? - 1 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: The old swan uppers ?  (Read 31764 times)
cmore130

« on: August 28, 2008, 02:56:41 PM »

I noticed that The Old Swan Uppers has a new landlord has anyone been in there yet? Please tell me the new landlord is better than the last lot we had
Ouch

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 09:20:58 AM »

100% Improvement. The less said about the previous management the better.

I went in last week for the first time in several months (as it had become so awful I had barred myself) and a completely different atmosphere - Friendly and Cheerful - and many others who had also left in the interim had returned. Friday was about the busiest I had seen it in 2 years.
limpt
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 10:55:44 AM »

I was in there a few days ago and found a warm welcome from a friendly young bloke.Definitely a better atmosphere.
John J
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 07:55:24 PM »

It was very noisy last Saturday night with people out of contorol and shouting outside, so not very plesant for others. Or the neighbours I would think .
sparks
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 12:34:18 AM »

thats what i heard about the noise around midnight but what i understand that the landlord gave warning to that person and have subquently been barred, so they must be doing something right
hayley
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 07:50:30 AM »

how is my question of wether its still a gay pub deemed innapropriate by the nazi censoring this board HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh
CH

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 02:36:41 PM »

Maybe because (as has been previously established on these discussion boards) it never was one.
sam
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 03:16:14 PM »

i have heard a lot of people talking about the two guys there "are they/are they not" but i went in there on thursday night and i over heard a conversation between the landlord and one of the regulars, both were laughing about how the talk had spread even into the firefly, with the out come of the conversation the lardlord, a guy called chris claimed it great that people are talking about his pub so he would let the talk continue eventhough he is not gay!
diamondgal
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 05:46:00 PM »

How lovely, the atmosphere is back!   100% improvement on the last disasters.   Friendly banter from behind the bar makes all the difference.   re the noise issue, they are stamping down on that and have already barred some offenders, so the neighbours need not worry   Welcome back the Old Swan Uppers!
Diamondgal

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 11:34:09 AM »

The Old Swan Uppers restaurant is now open for business, and I would recommend going there.   The food is good old traditional homemade pub fayre.   I went there last Friday evening, and had a lovely big juicy homemade burger with fries and salad.   Yummy!   My daughter had steak, ale and mushroom pie which got a big thumbs up, and our friend had homemade fish cakes which also went down well.   There are loads of good things on the menu and it's well worth a try.   They are also having a 'Grand Opening Night' on Saturday 18th October, so it would be good if people went along to see what it's like and support a local business.   Too many of them have gone recently.   The Swan is a proper 'pub' pub and it would be nice to keep it that way.   The new team are certainly going about it the right way and it's looking good!    Grin Grin Cool
Diamondgal

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 01:32:08 PM »

How pedantic of whoever complained.   Even if the freehold is brewery owned, the lease is owned by someone who is running a business in this locality which in my view makes it a local business.     And I for one wish them every success.
Jo Jo

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 06:01:02 PM »

I agree Diamondgal, if someone rents their office or shop premises are they not considered a 'local business' either? What a peculiar complaint. As you say it is the landlord that matters.
Thomas Lee
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 07:15:32 PM »

There has been a complaint that the above post states that this is a 'local business' when in fact a brewery owned pub.  I don't know if this pub is brewery owned or a private business but as it was requested I thought I would post the reply.

You beat me to it. From my long experience with the pub trade (as a drinker), the landlord (whose name is over the door) may be a tennant of the brewery but pays reent and he/she/they run the business themselves. The brewery just sits back and makes a profit.

Personally - I look forward to having a pint there soon. I've been an occasional there for almost 30 years.

Thomas
Cookham Webmaster
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2008, 12:27:03 AM »

It has been reported to cookham.com that "they are brewery tennants".

James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2008, 03:17:27 AM »

In the days when it was a Whethereds of Marlow Public House and it was called the "New Inn"The landlord was Jim Hester. The license laws required that his name was over the door. The landlord is the man in charge of the place, he is the one who the license is issued to. Has the law got that lax?
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: