Cookham Discussion Board
June 21, 2018, 05:55:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
19 June 2018 - Medical Detection Dogs

19 June 2018 - Part 1 Speak Out

21 June 2018 - Baroque Ensemble Red Priest

21 June 2018 - Open Minds - The Teenagers Debating Group

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is it geting any better?
Better? - 6 (85.7%)
Worse? - 1 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: The old swan uppers ?  (Read 31783 times)
lizzyk

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2008, 12:33:04 PM »

The Licensing Act 2003 came into effect on 24th November 2005 when the responsibility for licensing transferred from Magistrates Courts to the local Councils and this changed the licencing method, much to the consternation of organisations such as WI Halls and such like around the country who were included in them. The Pinder Hall was included, for example, as fund raising events there often sell alcohol.
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2008, 01:13:26 PM »

It's no wonder that the Thames Vally Police are worried about under age drinking. Col. A.E. Marnham must be turning over in his grave! If you don't know who he was you had better look at back issues of the Maidenhead Advertiser of the 1940's and 50's.
cmore130

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2008, 02:26:02 AM »

The brewery brought the pub form Jim Buyan in march, yes obviously the the holding managers from march till august were a nightmare(I know!!), but the new landlord who has brought the lease (for the next 20 years!) from s&n has now enabled a freash start, it maybe the same pub but the whole business approach,which is something different! So that means that yes the brewery owes the building but the business that resides within it is 100% the leaseholders. Plus due to the review of the licensing act, it is no longer a legal requirement for a landlord to preside his/her name above the door. (James)
I may like to add to that, arent they the same guys thay support local businesses like "village hardware" and "flurer de la masion" only after the same support in return, after all why cant we all just get along??
So after all this I would like to introduce myself.. Chris Seymour , the new leaseholder of the old swan upppers

Hope to see everyone soon
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2008, 02:54:58 AM »

In which case I will say welcome to the village Chris, and I wish you well and every success over the next twenty years, and may you draw a goodly pint.
declan

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2008, 08:19:51 AM »

i think you should write your posts when you are sober next time cmore !!
Megan

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2008, 10:35:24 AM »

Lol @ Declan!   Thomas you should definitely go back and have a pint at the Swan.   After the carnage of the temporaries, the atmosphere is back and you will enjoy friendly service and good beer.
cmore130

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2008, 12:55:11 PM »

funny that declan i actually was !
lizzyk

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2008, 01:16:54 PM »

I second what you say Megan, the Swan Uppers is a friendly local which is definitely worth a visit, something which is becoming rather scarce nowadays what with fine dining, Indian restaurants and gastro pubs taking over our locals.
old bill

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2008, 02:15:14 PM »

The new licencing act licences the premise and this then allows the council to put or request conditions on the licence which they don't have to reinstate when ever there is a change of landlords. The licnecee should also have a personal licence which last for ten years and can be used alover the uk. We have now been running the system for about three years and if you look at the paper the council have used their powers in a responsible manner, in concunction with the police and enviormental health officers. As your local police team we make our responsibility to do regular visits during business hours to liase with the landlords and i think it has been a positive move
CH

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2008, 03:01:23 PM »

Hi Chris - well done for coming on and introducing yourself.

I hope you have fantastic success with the Swan and we'll definitely be in for a drink.

See you soon!
Thomas Lee
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2008, 03:09:19 PM »

It has been reported to cookham.com that "they are brewery tennants".

I have had another complaint on this point. Sadly, the way the complaint system works, I can't tell who actually made it.

Two points:
1. I disagee with the complaint - the folks running it are very much a local business, even if the freehold is owned by a brewery. It's up the landlord(s) as to how they run the pub, and whether (or not) the pub is run successfully. No dobut they need to buy their beer etc from the brewery, but at the end of the day, the man/woman whose name is over the door is the one that decides how things work.
2. If the poster (of the complaint) takes issue with this view, then rather than complaining to the moderators, please feel free to put forward your views here so we can all see them.

Thomas
Thomas Lee
Administrator

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2008, 07:43:17 PM »

Lol @ Declan!   Thomas you should definitely go back and have a pint at the Swan.   After the carnage of the temporaries, the atmosphere is back and you will enjoy friendly service and good beer.

I will definately do this. Care to join me?

:-)
Megan

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2008, 09:21:09 PM »

See you in there Thomas! Smiley
Showem

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2008, 10:49:57 PM »

Thomas, my suspicion isn't that people were reporting the post to complain about it. Rather someone didn't understand the report vs. reply buttons and hence a report was sent. Don't take it too personally. Wink
monty
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2008, 10:24:39 AM »

Went to Swan Uppers for a meal last night, it was very good, so was the service. Will definitely go again
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: