Cookham Discussion Board
October 01, 2014, 03:14:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
2 October 2014 - Storytime at Cookham Library (under 5s)

3 October 2014 - The Runaways at the Cricket Club

4 October 2014 - Dig for Victory - Gardening Talk

4 October 2014 - RNLI Quiz at the Pinder Hall

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS
DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Affordable Housing  (Read 5624 times)
Paris

« on: July 08, 2011, 02:17:27 PM »

Anyone else seen this article in the Maidenhead Advertiser?

http://www.maidenheadadvertiser.co.uk/news/article-22187-parish-council-to-move-forward-with-affordable-housing-in-cookham/

I wonder where they think the land is coming from?  Surely we're not going to have to start launching campaigns to stop them building on green-belt land.

And anyway what's wrong with Cookham being a place to aspire to live in?
Gazzetta

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 08:06:40 AM »

Cookham has nurseries and schools.  A GP surgery and a parade of shops.   This surely means it needs families.  I for one aspire to own a property in Cookham so please lets build some affordable homes.  Thats unless I win 166m on Tuesday.
Paris

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 12:35:16 PM »

So you wouldn't mind living in a conurbation of Maidenhead then?  Or seeing the lovely farmland around the Cookhams turned into housing estates?

I would and so would a lot of people.

It would no longer be a case of 'the Cookhams' they'd all run one into another - I can just see the whole Poundfield issue starting all over again . . .

And anyway, they're already 'garden grabbing' in Whyteladyes Lane in order to provide old people's accommodation when Payton House gets demolished.
Winter

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 06:39:21 PM »

There are barely enough primary school places in Cookham. This year some Cookham children will have to travel into Maidenhead, despite being within walking distance of 2 or 3 schools in Cookham.
kingfisher

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 07:00:48 PM »

And anyway, they're already 'garden grabbing' in Whyteladyes Lane in order to provide old people's accommodation when Payton House gets demolished.

I don't see where you got this info from?? All the residents who've been moved out so far have gone to other sheltered accommodation in Maidenhead...

Eagle

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 08:12:22 PM »

I wonder if Paris has children that would like to stay and live in the area in which they grew up? There is a need for affordable housing for such people.
Kiki1

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 08:27:33 PM »

I wonder if Paris has children that would like to stay and live in the area in which they grew up? There is a need for affordable housing for such people.

If Paris has just one child (or two if not a single parent) then no additional housing is required.
Eagle

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 09:01:26 PM »

I was referring to grown up children who may wish to leave home but live in their birth place.
Kiki1

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 09:34:18 AM »

The answer would be the same though, unless the house of the parents was sold off to a completely new family.

Property inheritance is quickly becoming the number one method by which those new to the ladder are getting onboard, additionally influencing the numbers of elderly farmed out to retirement homes.

Whilst it is true the larger, closeknit families will take care of their predecessors under one roof, they are now very much in the minority. 
CH

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 11:46:40 AM »

What we need to do it to make Cookham a horrible place to live then property prices will go down and anyone who still actually wants to live here will be able to afford it.  Eureka!

... oh, hang on a mo ...
anon

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 12:49:49 PM »

Lots of places need affordable housing: Cookham, South Kensington, Monaco, Mustique. If you want to live in such places then you need an income to support it. That's life.
Bob

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 03:51:05 PM »

It has been said here in Discussions a few times before - if all the requests for housing for grown-up children had been met over the past century or so, Cookham would long ago have become one massive housing estate joined onto Maidenhead.

As for doctors and schools, all Cookham's resources are already overloaded. It's already hard enough to get an appointment with your own GP or practice nurse when you need one.

Unless people want Cookham spoiled and urbanised even further, it's time that the parish council, Cookham Society and residents accepted that enough is enough and fought ANY potential development very firmly. The area is already over-populated and on the verge of being spoiled if development isn't stopped now. Not enough people seem to recognise that the few green spaces which are remaining, especially those existing between or behind buildings forming a frame or backdrop, are what characterise the whole parish. Cookham is a very special place and needs to be protected and treated as such if it is to remain so.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 04:18:15 PM by Bob » Logged
Pongo

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 04:33:18 PM »

I think it has been mentioned before that the population for Cookham has increased from 4,500 to 6,500 in the last fifteen years, while the infra structure has remained much the same. I am very happy to have affordable housing on broiwn field sites, as we did in Whyteladyes Lane, but we really do need to stop the population growth if we want to keep our village environment.
Eagle

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 05:36:46 PM »

Well it looks like the doctors will be busy with people requiring sterilisation surgery according to these replies!  Grin

Maybe it's time that housing in any given particular area was reserved for locals first, job relocation second, imports last! Wink
Gazzetta

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 09:08:33 AM »

The UK population is growing at a rate of almost 1%, a year and this is largely in England.  The projection growth is over 9 million people between 2008 and 2033. The fact is we are all living longer and children will rarely inherite their parents homes untill they are close to their own retirement age, and not when they want to join the housing ladder.

The objections to some affordable housing is simply a case of snobbery and 'the I'm all right Jack attitude'.  You cannot make comparisons between Cookham and Maidenhead until the extent of the proposed development is announced.  Is the council thinking about 1 house, 10 houses or several hundred ?

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: