Cookham Discussion Board
September 21, 2018, 09:56:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
20 September 2018 - The Boxford Mosaic

20 September 2018 - Cookham Book Club

22 September 2018 - Live@the Church

25 September 2018 - Cookham Medical Centre Closed for Training - 12.30-6.30pm

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Plane Noise Again  (Read 57406 times)
lizzyk

« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2008, 12:40:00 AM »

Our MP Theresa May is being very supportive over this, so the more people who contact her the better. A group could consider visiting her on one of her fortnightly surgeries as well. I did ask the Parish Council at the Parish Meeting if they had made any representation, I got the impression they had done nothing. I am not sure if they have discussed the problem even now, although I have written to them and I would have thought a lot of others have as well.

This report may be of interest:

THERESA PRESSES AIR REGULATOR ON HEATHROW EXPANSION

Theresa May met representatives of the Civil Aviation Authority last week to discuss the potential impact of the expansion of Heathrow airport on the Maidenhead constituency. Theresa has previously expressed her strong concerns about the plans in her submission to the official consultation on expansion.

Theresa said: “I was pleased to have the opportunity to discuss the detail of the plans for expansion with the Civil Aviation Authority. The data produced by the Government is extremely complex, and makes it difficult for the public to easily assess the impact on their area. Most of the comment has focused on a third runway, but I believe we have as much to fear from a change to mixed-mode operations, i.e. using both runways to land and take-off.”

“The CAA confirmed many of the fears that I and others have expressed. The building of a third runway will push many of the existing departure routes from the other two runways directly over Maidenhead, and mixed-mode operations, which could come as early as 2015, would also increase the number of flights directly over Maidenhead.”

“What they also showed is that not only will Maidenhead be affected by plans to expand Heathrow but Twyford will also suffer. Both mixed-mode operations, which could happen as early as 2015, and a third runway will have a very serious affect on Twyford. The proposed arrival routes will see more planes travelling directly over Twyford as they come in to land.”

“The Government’s case for expanding Heathrow is flawed. They are determined to press ahead without proper consideration of whether expansion is needed. I am clear that there must be no increase in the overall noise footprint of Heathrow airport. In fact, we should be working to reduce the levels of aircraft noise over the next few years.”
simon

« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2008, 09:11:36 AM »

It has been clear that the Cookham Society has been working on this and Jane's efforts are to be commended. However, if Lizzy is correct in her understanding that the Parish Council has done nothing at all, this seems beyond belief!

Would Cookham Parish Council members (our elected representatives) like to explain their reasons to us all, please?  Or, if Lizzy has been misinformed, tell us exactly what you have done for Cookham regarding this serious problem?

Jane Davey

« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2008, 10:53:21 AM »

I would also add that not only has Boris Johnson gone public with his proposal for an alternative to Heathrow/Gatwick in the Thames Estuary but the prospective Conservative MP for Thanet has also claimed that her area is keen to develop the existing airport at Kent International Airport at Manston to take the strain from Heathrow. Obviously the more public support such proposals receive, including via Theresa May, the more pressure will be put on government to seriously consider alternatives to Heathrow expansion. There does seem to be a strong sense that the government are completely blinkered at the moment about the third runway at Heathrow. I have heard spokesmen from all sides of the political specrum - from conservationists to hardcore business people - say that the third runway is both misguided and a poor solution for future aviation needs, and yet the present government remains resolute. However my sense is that the tide is beginning to turn hence the delay in finally deciding about the third runway and I think it would be very worthwhile to keep up the pressure at this stage. The argument is far from lost and Ruth Kelly's departure may provide an oppurtunity for a fresh approach.

Hope that's useful.
lizzyk

« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2008, 01:27:06 PM »

I think Boris Johnson's idea is brilliant and solves a lot of problems. It did seem that Cameron had gone a bit luke warm on the idea at the Tory Conference though.  I assume the government are under enormous pressure from somewhere, in that extending Heathrow means a lot of money to someone. I assume this is what it is all about, as anyone in their right mind would realise that you don't extend the busiest airport in the world on the edge of one of the major cities in the world. Every other country builds their major airports miles away from their cities.
Plane Complainer
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2008, 10:08:19 PM »

Noisy planes over the last few days. Time to complain again...
Megan

« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2008, 10:57:19 PM »

I just don't notice the plane noise, maybe I'm going deaf!  Undecided
Plane Complainer
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2008, 12:47:20 PM »

Megan,
You're very lucky that you're not disturbed by them!
I think they are worse in the village than anywhere else. Try the High Street.
Plane Complainer
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2008, 10:02:21 PM »

Like right now... there goes another one  Embarrassed
Megan

« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2008, 10:19:39 PM »

Sorry Plane C. I haven't noticed any tonight!   I live up High Road, they must go over higher up here.   I may just go to the High Street soon and have a listen. Smiley
lizzyk

« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2008, 10:07:53 AM »

I hear them in New Road, in fact they often wake me up, usually before 6am.
Plane Complainer
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2008, 08:28:24 AM »

Yuck. We're on the landing path as from yesterday. I'm sure even you, Megan, could here them this morning.
Lets get complaining: all the numbers / e-mails / addresses are further up this chain.
monty
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2008, 08:53:03 AM »

First one this morning was at 3.40 and continued at a rate after that. End of sleep for the night
Plane Complainer
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2008, 08:58:25 AM »

We can all phone the Heathrow Airport Noise Line: free of charge 0800 344 844.
lizzyk

« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2008, 10:24:14 AM »

I was woken before 4am this morning with the noise and they were coming in regularly (probably every three to four minutes) by around 4.45am. I did phone the noise line, they would not have logged my complaint if I had not asked them to though. They say it is for safety reasons they are doing it.

It does look like there is some more positive government opposition now to the third runway at least.
Megan

« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2008, 11:38:34 AM »

Sorry PC, didn't hear a thing and slept like a log!   But I will make a phone call and add my voice to the cause for those who are disturbed by it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: