Cookham Discussion Board
October 23, 2018, 05:21:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
20-22 October 2018 - Cookham-St Benoit Twinning 2018

25 October 2018 - Pinder Hall AGM - Free Refreshments - All welcome

26 October 2018 - Great British Spring Clean-Cookham Moor

26 October 2018 - Rotary Bridge Evening at the Pinder Hall

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cookham in pictures..  (Read 127191 times)
Watchman

« Reply #255 on: March 21, 2016, 10:01:22 AM »

Another masterful photograph, kingfisher ... quite beautiful.

I often walk my dog in the early AM along the escarpment by Cockmarsh under WH golf club and did,
on one occasion, count 13 Red Kites circling above the area. Quite awesome!
Generally they number around 6 maybe 7, but on this occasion they were everywhere!

Quite thrilling now to watch crows fiercely defending their rookeries from the circling kites!

Birdman

« Reply #256 on: March 21, 2016, 12:13:26 PM »

Brilliant indeed: this individual shows sufficient rufous in the tail to indicate an older bird, as juveniles have even paler edges to the upperwing coverts (the small feathers that cover the quills of the larger flight feathers.) On the other hand, the large primary wing-tip feathers still have some lighter centres, so perhaps not yet fully adult (which can take some 4 years to achieve). On the other hand, the eye is very light; Red Kites are reverse to other birds of prey, such as Sparrowhawks, whose eyes darken with age, in that newly-fledged Kites have quite dark eye centres which go paler with age. Also, the amount of black on the bill-tip might yet become smaller with age. So my guess would be this is a third-winter juvenile just going into 4th spring/adult plumage. 

Folk living in the vicinity of Winter Hill may have noticed an odd individual with no tail at all recently. Looks a bit like a Bateleur Eagle! (But Kingfisher would need to be photographing in Zimbabwe to achieve that shot!)

Elsewhere, spring is springing with a few signs of migration getting under way. The first Sand Martins have been seen in Thatcham, House Martins at Theale, a Garganey passed through the Reading gravel pit complex, and a Crane was soaring around the Woodley area. More locally, a Blackcap is singing in Cookham Rise today - perhaps as a precursor to departing to Northern Europe for the summer - unless he intends staying over to welcome our usual spring migrant Blackcaps from Africa, due shortly.
JTAP

« Reply #257 on: March 21, 2016, 05:24:11 PM »

Ive seen that individual with no tail quite a lot and I think he/she is nest building in my cedar tree, it is I think the first year I have had kites nesting there. It looks as though the tail feathers have been broken as I can see the remains of the quills sticking out and my partner thinks it may have been shot at ? I cant think what else it could have been;  sounds very cruel but at least it can still fly.
kingfisher

« Reply #258 on: June 13, 2016, 11:12:33 AM »

Some stunning patches of Poppies in the fields around Cookham at the moment....

wannabe
Administrator

« Reply #259 on: June 14, 2016, 01:24:57 PM »

Where's the "like it a lot"  button?  Grin
kingfisher

« Reply #260 on: August 07, 2016, 03:32:44 PM »

I have been invited to exhibit some of my shots at The Parish Centre.... Would've been rude to say no.. Please feel free to pop along on the 4th September..

wannabe
Administrator

« Reply #261 on: August 08, 2016, 08:19:26 PM »

It's my dad's 90th so I'll have to tell him I can't see him! I hope you've got crowd control in Mick!
kingfisher

« Reply #262 on: August 14, 2016, 09:28:37 AM »

You can always bring your dad along wannabe,. as a special birthday treat.... 😁
All welcome, the more, the merrier....

wannabe
Administrator

« Reply #263 on: August 15, 2016, 07:42:50 PM »

Thanks, thats a nice thought. Too far though and surprise already in progress!
kingfisher

« Reply #264 on: September 03, 2016, 04:04:52 PM »

A little reminder of the exhibition tomorrow,, Holy Trinity Parish Centre..... Some half decent pictures, plus, free tea and coffee... 😀😀😀

kingfisher

« Reply #265 on: June 13, 2017, 01:14:32 PM »

Long time since i posted in this thread.... Roll Eyes
Poppies in the next field to Widbrook Common..

The Baglady

« Reply #266 on: June 13, 2017, 02:01:48 PM »

Beautiful photo !
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]
  Print  

Jump to: