Cookham Discussion Board
November 26, 2014, 02:45:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
26 November 2014 - Give Blood at the Pinder Hall

27 November 2014 - Storytime at Cookham Library (under 5s)

27 November 2014 - Historical Lite Bites

27 November 2014 - Cookham Media Hub

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS
DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Traffic under railway arch  (Read 14795 times)
monty
« on: October 04, 2008, 04:23:21 PM »

>:(I am very concerned about the traffic under the railway bridge from Maidenhead to Cookham and vice a versa. When you drive from Maidenhead to Cookham it is your right of way, but it is very difficult to see what is coming fromm Cookham, and if you are very unfortunate to be just under the bridge and something comes from Cookham, you just have to hope the driver is not going to fast. It is 40 mph along there, but many cars drive much faster than that. They also disregard the fact that coming from Maidenhead you have to give way. One day there is going to be a dreadful accident there if something is not done. Do other drivers notice this problem or is it just me. ? I would be glad to hear other comments.
Showem

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 09:48:59 PM »

I'm not surprised you are concerned, you should well be. You wrote, "When you drive from Maidenhead to Cookham it is your right of way" and then you wrote, "coming from Maidenhead you have to give way". It's not both you know. Coming from Maidenhead you have to give way.
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 10:18:52 PM »

It is a wonder that this has not been brought up on this discussion page before now. There is also a compounding factor, the tee junction of Whiteladyes Lane. This is a case where a traffic light system should have been introduced many years ago. I know of many similar situations down in Somerset and Dorset, where blind spots and narrow roads occur and a traffic light system has solved the problem. I think this was brought up before and was turned down on cost. Anyway, it is time that you asked the Parish Council to put it on their next meeting Agenda.
Roger

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 12:22:08 AM »

James, Cannondown railway arch used to be two way, but due to danger to pedestrians it was made one way, with a pedestrian way as well. Personally I would hate traffic lights there and I live just up the road, you live in Canada. The give way was changed over not so long ago and now anyone with half a mind would realise they have to give way coming from Maidenhead, as there are signs, a bright red road block, white lines etc etc. If there were lights people would jump them which would be even more dangerous.
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 02:39:49 AM »

From what I am hearing Roger, the system is not working as the traffic from Maidenhead boll along and they cannot see around that corner. Sooner or later there will be a fatal accident due to high speed and lack of thought of what is coming from the Cookham end. If you had clear vision in both directions it could work, but don't tell me that you do. They did not alter the railway cutting I am sure, there is close to a thirtyfive degree bend in the road before going under the bridge in either direction, and you can not see what is coming until you are about to go under the bridge. I might live a long way off, but my memory is still very good.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 02:44:38 PM by James Hatch » Logged
Showem

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 08:16:20 AM »

Have there been many collisions, never mind a fatal one, under the bridge? In the last 2 years, the only accident I know about is when a bus driver decided to make his double decker a convertible by trying to drive under it. But that had nothing to do with the one way, give way system.
Megan

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 10:26:06 AM »

I'm not keen on going under the Railway bridge as you cannot see what is coming roundthe corner, or how fast they are going.   It's the do I or don't I go now syndrome and when you do go, sod's law there's something coming the other way right at that moment!   Surely traffic lights would be a safer option.   It's purely luck that there hasn't been a smash there, and I've certainly seen a few near misses.
monty
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 11:09:56 AM »

Thank you for you for your comments Jabber and Megan. A taxi driver slammed into the back of my husbands van, writing it off, because he  (the taxi driver) was driving too fast from Maidenhead and did not read the give way sign. It was lucky my husband wasn't killed and it is more luck than judgement that something more serious has not happened and I hate driving under that bridge because of the lack of vision to see what is coming from Cookham direction. After my husbands accident I did write to the Parish Council and they said it was nothing to do with them it was highways department problem, so nothing gets done!
Megan

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 09:17:46 PM »

you can not see what is coming until you are about to go under the bridge. I might live a long way off, but my memory is still very good.

Your memory is obviously still very good James!   You cannot see what is coming round that corner until you've already started going past the white line.   Several times I have started to go through and then had to stop because something has suddenly appeared from the opposite direction.   That section is just a nasty accident waiting to happen.   I really do believe traffic lights would be a good idea there.
Megan

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 09:19:50 PM »

Oops, I obviously didn't quote properly.   The first line was from James's post, the rest is mine!
CH

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 10:17:22 AM »

Surely the point of the current system is that if two vehicles arrive at the bridge at the same time then one has priority over the other.  That makes a lot of sense to me.

However, I think one of the problems is that often vehicles approaching from the Cookham side assume that everyone has to get out of their way and even if you have started before they came round the bend and are already under the bridge, they carry on regardless.  That's when it gets a little scary.
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 05:36:27 PM »

Let us look at the facts:
1.  That railway bridge was built 150 years ago.
2.  The traffic then was slow moving (horse drawn).
3.  It was built at right angle to the railway track, or as close as possible.
4.  Now it is nigh impossible to straighten due to close proximity of development over the past years.
5.  The highways department took the cheap way out, which has obviously failed.

The answer is pure and simple: "TRAFFIC LIGHTS"

I know I will receive flack from the would be Stirling Moss's who post. Remember one thing, Cookham is a village with narrow winding roads and lanes. It is certainly not, "Silverstone or Brands Hatch!"
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 05:46:30 PM by James Hatch » Logged
monty
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 11:25:54 AM »

Thanks for your comments James, obviously no-one takes this problem seriously, but one day something terrible will happen there.
Megan

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 02:00:43 PM »

I agree with you and James, Monty.   I think traffic lights should be put there before something bad happens.
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 02:54:43 PM »

Reading back over the posts I find that Roger points out that people will jump the light. It is obvious that modern traffic light technology has not reached you yet! If you jump a traffic light in BC, your number plate is recorded on camera and the registered owner of the car gets a hefty fine in the mail.

As this would be a two way and not a four way traffic light system. It would be impossible for the driver to anticipate the green as the can be set so traffic in progress under the bridge can clear before the green. In other words there would be a period when both lights are red.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: