Cookham Discussion Board
April 19, 2018, 06:05:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
19 April 2018 - Open Minds - The Teenagers Debating Group

22 April 2018 - Odney Club - Open Garden

24 April 2018 - Give Blood at the Pinder Hall

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cookham's war heros  (Read 1959 times)
Alfred Major

« on: September 09, 2012, 11:35:39 AM »

I am hoping to eventually trace the local men who played for Cookham Dean Football Club before the First World War but who were later to become casualties in it. I have the names off of the local War Memorials and a list of names from the commonwealth war graves commission. I have also been in touch with the local churches too.
I have found one player already Frederick Sandalls. Private 203005 2nd/4th Battalion Royal Berks. Date of death 1,4,18. Buried Etretat Churchyard Extension near Le Havre (possibly wounded during German Spring offensive, March '18 and evacuated to a rear area hospital where he died of wounds?).Son of John and Sarah Sandalls of Cookham Dean and husband of H.L.Sandalls of 4 Hoverton Cottages Cookham Dean. I am hoping other locals might have a few details of other men or maybe even a  team photo between 1910 and 1914 which would help fantastically. I have one picture but it is from 1904 the next one the club has is from 1919 and the line up is filled with a lot of very young faces
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 11:37:57 AM by Alfred Major » Logged
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 03:02:45 PM »

Try Gordon Harris. The Harris family have resided in Cookham Dean for many years. He could also put you in touch with other old resident families that you may contact. Remember that a lot of people that would remember or would have old photos, would not be be reading your message here. So try Gordon, as his mother May was very well known in the area, anything that went on in the village, she would have known.
Alfred Major

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 01:17:26 PM »

Thanks James, there are Harris's in some team photos and on the War Memorial too of course
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 01:20:18 PM by Alfred Major » Logged
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 12:07:02 AM »

Here is another another Cookham Dean family that may be of help. I was at school with Philip Glenister and his sister Leila. Of course I expect she is married, but someone may be able to help you out.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: