Cookham Discussion Board
July 16, 2018, 09:43:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
13 July 2018 -  Stanley Spencer - Self Portrait

14 July 2018 - Men's Breakfast

17 July 2018 - Part 2 Speak Out

15 July 2018 - Strawberry Tea

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Sno fun being a Bird  (Read 3011 times)
Birdman

« on: January 18, 2013, 10:43:15 AM »

HI folks - I'm sure this is not really necessary, but just a reminder to those who help the birds with extra reserves in these colder parts of the year. Snow will quickly cover flat feeding stations, (hanging ones will be fine) so do please try and pop out accordingly to uncover the seeds etc. Also, water supplies (bowls, small pools etc) will have frozen and they too will get snowed over. Replenishing a bowl regularly, ideally partly under cover, will help birds obtain water. Also, if using proprietary snow and ice clearing products, please don't put ground-scattered food on those places for the birds, for obvious reasons.

Otherwise, once the snow has actually stopped falling, ideal conditions to take a birdwatching walk this weekend as they will be far easier to find against this temporary background.
kingfisher

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 11:06:00 AM »

Thanks for the advice birdman.. I'm looking forward to a few snowy shots this weekend...

James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 03:26:47 PM »

A very good suggestion Birdman, my father was a butcher and he would bring home odd scraps of fat which I put in a net to hang up in the tree branches on Widbrook. So any scraps of fat and bacon rind and the birds will love you and sing your praise come Spring. I know as my two seagull friends are glad to see me home once more.
Paris
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 11:02:39 AM »

It's certainly worth taking some extra time to help the birdies.  I upped what I normally put out at the weekend and was rewarded by two rare visitors - Mr (and Mrs Blackcap)!  And yes, I know what I'm talking about - I looked them up in my bird book.
Birdman

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 12:33:29 PM »

Well done, Paris. I'll add that record to the monthly County Bird Report for January if I may. What part of the Cookhams were they in please? We've been getting a regular female in the Rise, and it has continued to seek nectar from Mahonia, as they do in the summer. A friend has had one in a Church Road Garden too.
Paris
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 01:17:52 PM »

Hi Birdman, feel free to add my new feathery friends to the list - location would be by the cemetery at the bottom of Long Lane.  They seem to be very timid and like to pop in and out of my garden shrubs to pay sneaky visits to the bird table.
lizzyk

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 01:53:40 PM »

I have not seen any Blackcaps on the mahonia, but thought I would take a photo as it looks so pretty with the yellow flowers with snow on them.

kingfisher

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 02:49:55 PM »

I'm not wanting to jump on the band  wagon and promote my page (like others on here),, but, if you like photo's of birds and you're on Facebook, give me a look up...  i love bird photography... Just follow the facebook link in my signature.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 02:53:20 PM by kingfisher » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: