Cookham Discussion Board
October 15, 2018, 07:15:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
18 October 2018 - Open Minds - The Teenagers Debating Group

18 October 2018 - Cookham Book Club

20-22 October 2018 - Cookham-St Benoit Twinning 2018

20 October 2018 - Live@the Church

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kerb Stones in Lightland Lane  (Read 5232 times)
monty
« on: November 06, 2008, 08:54:24 AM »

Can some one please tell me why they are wasting money putting new kerb stones in Lightlands Lane, I am mystified.
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 02:18:34 PM »

Hi Monty: They are not putting a speed choke are they? Take a photo, so we can see what they are up to.
monty
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 02:48:55 PM »

No they are just kerb stones along the side of the road, like on any main road.
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 03:21:41 PM »

Then, my thoughts is that it a sidewalk that they are installing. One that was overlooked in the original developement of the area. I remember when that was a rough old track as a shortcut to the Strande Castle. Like I can remember picking potatoes during the war in the field which now houses Westwood Green Estate.
Paris
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 03:22:51 PM »

They're part of the road re-profiling works which are part of the 1M flood alleviation scheme.

What a waste of money - live by a river in a flood plain - expect to get wet when it floods.  And before anyone accuses me of being too harsh, I do have first hand experience of the floods and it's not nice, but only to be expected.  
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 03:59:31 PM »

Way to go Paris! Live by the river then expect floods. Remember I should know with living on Widbrook Commom. If you choose to live by a river or stream, then expect flooding, and as the Auzzie's would say: "Stop Winjing!"
monty
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 04:33:54 PM »

I cannot see how kerb stones are going to prevent flooding. I lived in the Strand in the 60's and we never had any flooding, and I have now lived there again for 5 years. I can understand the prevention measures they are doing in the meadows in the Strande but still cannot see how new kerb stones are going to make a difference. With everything going up and the credit crunch and higher council tax in the offing I think they should consider how they spend their money.
Paris
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 12:33:08 PM »

I totally agree with you Monty - I've lived in Cookham all my life and never known Lightlands Lane to flood; the level is so much higher than the adjacent field. Strande Lane has flooded in recent years, but they've already done some work there to raise the level at the Lightlands Lane end so that the houses towards Strande Water don't get cut off.  I seem to remember in the last flood, 2002, that the house on the very corner of Lightlands where you turn right to go to Bass Mead or left to Strande Lane had water in the front garden, but that was from rising groundwater levels and not surface flood water, so this new kerb won't have any benefit for them.

The other piece of work they are doing in Lightlands Lane is to put an embankment, wall or something around that little pumping station thingy.  I suppose this is a good idea, but it won't stop groundwater coming up through the gravel and flooding inside the embankment.

Incidentally anyone know if any monitoring actually took place in the boreholes that were sunk in and around Strande Lane a few years ago.  Seems a pretty pointless exercise to me if no measurements have been taken on an ongoing basis.
monty
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 01:20:03 PM »

Thank you Paris at least some one thinks the same as I do on this subject. It makes me angry when there are other things more urgent they could use the money for, but perhaps it is just to keep those four blokes employed.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: