Cookham Discussion Board
July 18, 2018, 09:28:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
19 July 2018 - Open Minds - The Teenagers Debating Group

22 July 2018 - Colonel Garrett Cup Cricket Competition

24 July 2018 - Cookham Medical Centre Closed for Training - 12.30-6.30pm

27 July 2018 - National Trust Bat Walk

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Crime Update Wednesday  (Read 20 times)
Thames Valley Police

« on: Today at 06:35:22 PM »

We have had another motor scooter stolen overnight - if you have one or a motorbike, please take extra precautions at this time.  Tie something noisy to it as they are apparently being lifted and carried off of driveways.

MAIDENHEAD CENTRAL:
maidenheadcentralnhpt@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk
17/7 - 18/7  Tuesday 6 p.m. / Wednesday 8 a.m.  York Court, Moorbridge Road.  Both wing mirrors smashed on a car - criminal damage.
17/7 - 18/7  Tuesday 11 p.m. / Wednesday 5 a.m.  Blenheim Court, Kingsquarter.  Communal garage break.  The gates were forced - bike left propped against a car stolen.  A grey, Carrera Vengeance, mountain bike.
14/7 - 16/7  Saturday 12.30 p.m. / Monday 4 p.m.  Leisure Centre Car Park, St Cloud Way.  Locked up bike stolen.  An orange, Specialized, mountain bike.

RIVERSIDE & BELMONT:
NO CRIME TO REPORT.

MAIDENHEAD WEST
maidenheadwestnhpt@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk
BISHAM, COOKHAM, HURLEY, THE WALTHAMS, LITTLEWICK GREEN & KNOWL HILL:
15/7 - 16/7  Sunday 11.45 p.m. / Monday 8 p.m.  Cookham Lock, Odney Lane.  A car has been damaged by a beer bottle.

PINKNEYS GREEN & FURZE PLATT:
13/7 - 16/7  Saturday 10 p.m. / Monday 5 a.m.  Queensway.  The owner came down in the morning to find his Renault Megane, driver’s side wing mirror had been removed and stolen.

MAIDENHEAD SOUTH
maidenheadsouthnhpt@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk
BOYN HILL, COX GREEN & WOODLANDS PARK:
NO CRIME TO REPORT.

OLDFIELD & BRAY:
15/7 - 16/7  Sunday 9.30 p.m. / Monday 8 a.m.  The Green, Holyport Road, Holyport.  Burglary.  A hole was made in a rear window, large enough for someone to reach in to unlock the window.  Fortunately the window was well secured and it could not be unlocked.  Tool marks also made around the frame.  No entry gained and nothing stolen.
16/7  Monday 7 p.m.  Shoppenhangers Road.  Offenders tailgated into a business yard.  They drove to the rear of the yard and stole cabling, then drove off.
15/7 - 16/7  Sunday 8.30 p.m. / Monday 8.30 a.m.  Islet Road.  The owner left four parcels of clothes on the front passenger seat of their car.  The car had possible been left unlocked and the parcels stolen.

COMMENTS:

FIRST: I put a message out on Monday from Angie re a phone call about her medication.  I have heard back from Oliver:

Hi

This is probably Pharma2You <admin@pharmacy2u.co.uk> who market aggressively and carry out this service.

Oliver

Many thanks Oliver - possibly not a scam call then !

NEXT from Peter re a DVLA Scam:

Drivers are being warned about a new DVLA text scam that cheats recipients out of money by claiming to be a VED road tax refund.

The RAC claims that motorists are being targeted with promises of sizable refunds that will be paid direct into their bank accounts, if they submit a few seemingly harmless personal details.

The scam involves a text message from the fraudsters that poses as the DVLA, offering money back following a change road tax legislation. The victim is then instructed to click a link and fill in a form with personal bank account details.

“The cost of motoring is a big concern for motorists, so the offer of an unexpected tax rebate can sound very tempting,” said Pete Williams of the RAC.
"Always be wary of any request asking for personal information and be alert to any offer that sounds too good to be true,” he added.
Potential confusion over changes in the VED system is thought to have given fraudsters the incentive to target innocent motorists with promises of big refunds; however, the DVLA has said it “doesn’t send emails or text messages that ask you to confirm your personal details or payment information, such as for a vehicle tax refund”.
Drivers who suspect they are being targeted by scam emails or texts are urged to report the incident by sending the details to the Government’s dedicated internet scam and phishing website
Thanks Peter.

NEXT:  from Geoff:

Hi

I have received two phone calls this morning, showing telephone numbers that, when called back, turned out not to be the origin of the calls.

This trick is of course well known with e-mails, but I wasn’t aware that the same game could be played with the phone.

Others might like to be made aware of this possibility.

Regards

Geoff

Scammers have been able to do this for some time.  They hide international number, by showing a local number on your phone.  The technique may fool your phone display, but it would not fool a call blocker phone.

Next: from Peter:

Hi

I got a threatening email earlier today, and would like your advice on what to do.
The disturbing thing about the threat, is that they have got hold of my password for my LinkedIn account - I have just changed it - but this is a new tactic and it is unsettling.
I have no intention of making a payment in Bitcoins or otherwise, but do I need to do anything else and is it something that a police cybercrime unit could help with, not just for myself but others too?

Many thanks

Peter

The email is extremely unpleasant and sets out Peter’s ‘Linkedin’ password.  It then goes on to say that the emailer has been surveilling him online for some time and has records of his browsing history and actual footage from the webcam in the computer.  The email says not to contact the police and demands $2,700 in bitcoins.

Has anyone else had one of these ?  The text is standard scam text and no-one should believe any of the allegations.  They are not aimed at you personally.

If you have received one, please report it to Action Fraud:

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report_fraud

If you have had one, you must of course change all your passwords.  I have passed it to our Investigation team which recommends that we all cover any camera in out laptops / computers with tape, if we are not using it !  Unfortunately, it makes sense.

NEXT: the old HMRC scam phone message.  This one is from Anne and another from Ann.  They along with dozens of you have had these calls - Ann had three in a day !  If you get one, JUST PUT THE PHONE DOWN - IT IS A SCAM - TELL EVERYONE YOU KNOW.

Hi again

My husband was not quite so relaxed as I was regarding the 'message' from HMRC, so decided to phone them.  It was exactly as we thought - they confirmed that they would never phone about any tax matters and it would take several warning letters before any action was taken.

Regards
Anne

NEXT: from Ann re the above scam HMRC calls

Hi

I wish to report that l have had three phone calls today. A recorded female voice says" you are being sued by HRMC you need to dial 1 to speak to your local police officer.

I hung up on the first call before the end of the message, but did note the number displayed began with 116. When l received the 2nd call about an hour later l recognised 116 on caller display. I listened to the whole message without speaking and hung up. I went out and on my return, the woman had called again and left the same message on my answer phone, which upset me for a few seconds.

I know it's a scam thanks to your Thames Valley Alert but would like you to warn fellow elderly residents about this. I can imagine that this type of scam will upset many vulnerable residents.

Thank you. I would be grateful if you would reply so that l know you have received this email.

Ann

Thanks you Anne and well done for not panicking and just putting the phone down.  HMRC has issued this advice:

HMRC has asked us to alert our users to a scam which targets taxpayers and seems to be aimed at the elderly in particular. We have been asked to share the following information:

There is currently a telephone scam where a recorded message is left, allegedly from HMRC, stating that HMRC are bringing a lawsuit against the individual and is going to sue them. The recipient is asked to phone 0161 8508494 and press “1” to speak to the officer dealing with the case. This scam is becoming widely reported and seems to be targeting older people. Please do not reply to the message.

HMRC takes security very seriously but you need to be alert. If you cannot verify the identity of the person making the call you should not disclose your personal details. You should report these incidents on the Action Fraud website, or you can call them on 0300 123 2040 (Please note this number will be charged at your normal network rate). They are open Monday to Friday 09:00 - 18:00.

To learn more about dealing with phishing and scams visit GOV.UK

NEXT:  Just by pure flook, I have had this in, Stan has received both of the above scam emails !!!

Hi

A couple of scams for you.
A telephone call from HMRC.  Apparently they have been trying to reach him as they have a potential lawsuit against him………..He should them press the link to speak to a case officer !
DON’T DO IT !
I received an e-mail from someone in the Philippines telling me that they have incriminating videos of me in compromising situations, and that I have 28 hours to deposit $820 in bitcoins  to a named account.  Again, I deleted the mail and didn’t reply.

I’m waiting for the follow-up,....and to see the videos !!!!

Kind regards,

Stan

Well Done Stan - Both are full scams - and - they don’t have any videos of you search history !

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: