Cookham Discussion Board
January 23, 2019, 10:38:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
23 January 2019 - Cookham Medical Centre Closed for Training - 12.30-6.30pm

24 January 2019 - The Founding of Reading Abbey, its Architecture, Art and Music

26 January 2019 - BFI Film Academy (ages 16-19)

27 January 2018 -Harris Woodbridge Reserve - Dig for Cookham

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Advice to residents of the Royal Borough  (Read 2221 times)
Thames Valley Police
Hero Member
Posts: 1091

« on: February 20, 2014, 02:48:33 PM »

Thames Valley Police is issuing the below advice to residents of West Berkshire & the Royal Borough on behalf of the Environment Agency & Scottish and Southern Energy (SSE):
Please consider the following advice for after a flood from SSE:
  • If your home has been flooded, please keep away from the electrical equipment. Call our emergency number to arrange a safety visit so we can check our main fuse and your meter.
  • Make sure your internal wiring and appliances are checked by a qualified electrician before you turn anything back on.
  • If you still have no electricity after an electrician has checked everything, and your fuses and trip switch are in the on position, please call our emergency number.
  • Your electricity supplier is responsible for your meter, but if it is faulty we will contact them for you.
  • Donít run a generator indoors as the exhaust fumes can kill.
  • If you need to leave your property, turn off your main electricity switch if it is safe to do so. In case we need to enter your property, please let us know how and where we can contact you.

The Environment Agency advises the following:
  • Cleaning up after a flood
  • Flood water can contain sewage and chemicals. Always wear waterproof clothing, gloves, wellington boots and a face mask.
  • Make sure that your electrics and central heating are checked by qualified engineers before switching them back on.
  • Clean and disinfect your property using ordinary household products.
  • Use a normal garden hose to wash down surfaces.
  • If you are drying your property naturally, keep windows and doors open as much as possible. If using dehumidifiers, close all windows and doors.

  • Ask your insurance company how long it will be before the loss adjuster visits.
  • Photograph or film your damaged property.
  • Keep copies of letters, emails and receipts as well as making a note of all phone calls.
  • Flood repairs can take weeks or months to complete. Ask your insurance company if they will provide temporary accommodation.
  • If you donít have insurance, your local council should be able to provide you with information on hardship grants and charities.

Please visit : for some useful advice from the Association of British Insurers in relation to responding to major floods and what to expect from your home insurer.
Pages: [1]
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!