Cookham Discussion Board
December 14, 2018, 04:36:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
10 December 2018 - The Media Hub - Tim Brooke-Taylor OBE

11 December 2018 - Cookham Surgery Closed for Training 12.30pm onwards

13 December 2018 -  WilldCookham Christmas Catch Up - FREE

13 December 2018 - Cookham Book Club

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15
  Print  
Author Topic: River Level  (Read 183026 times)
Paris
« Reply #195 on: February 12, 2014, 05:11:58 PM »

I don't want to be accused of spreading alarm, but there is a comment on the Oxford Mail Live Flood Blog that the EA tweeted at 3.10 pm today: 'NEWS: Windsor, Maidenhead & Surrey warned to expect severe disruption - Thames to rise to highest levels for 60+ years'.

I am now seriously worried, and if this is case, why hasn't anyone been around to tell us?

Thanks MumofOne for your kind message.  It's really only posessions that are at risk now, but worrying all the same.
windymiller

« Reply #196 on: February 12, 2014, 05:27:33 PM »

The EA tweet links to this page: http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/news/151912.aspx, which says ...

Flooding set to continue into the weekend along Thames and in Somerset
12-Feb-2014
Windsor, Maidenhead and communities in Surrey warned to expect severe disruption as Thames to rise in places to highest levels for over 60 years

Windsor, Maidenhead and communities along the Thames in Surrey remain at high risk of flooding from the Thames today and Thursday – with significant flooding of homes and businesses expected. With further rainfall forecast for today and on Friday and Saturday, the risk of flooding is likely to increase over the next few days. There are currently 14 severe flood warnings in force for the Thames Valley area.
Around 50 homes along the Thames Valley were flooded overnight, bringing the total number of homes flooded since Friday 29 January to 1,135. During this time over 181,000 homes have been protected and over 200,000 homes have been sent a flood warning following the wettest January since 1766.

Flood Warnings
...Across the country Environment Agency teams are out in force 24/7 deploying sandbags along riverbanks, clearing river blockages, monitoring water levels, sending out flood warnings and deploying temporary defences. Over the past week 23 demountable defences have been put up – including at Osney near Oxford, Purley on Thames, Guildford, Cookham and Kenley in Croydon – to help provide additional protection to at risk communities.
Below Maidenhead levels will potentially rise over the weekend and early next week to the highest levels seen so far. The current extent of flooding is similar to that seen in 2003, and could reach 1947 levels in places in days to come.

Since the beginning of December, flood schemes have defended more than 1.3m homes and businesses and protected nearly 2,500 square kilometres of farmland across England. In the same period, 5,800 properties have flooded as a result of the extraordinary series of weather storms.

Paul Leinster, Chief Executive of Environment Agency, said: ...“With further rain expected in the coming days, after the wettest January on record in England, the situation is likely to get worse before it gets better. Further flooding is expected along the Thames, which could reach its highest levels in some places since 1947. River levels are very high across south west, central and southern England and further rain has the potential to cause significant flooding. I urge the public to sign up to our receive free flood warnings, check their flood risk, and keep up to date with the latest situation on the Environment Agency website and on social media using #floodaware.”
Paris
« Reply #197 on: February 12, 2014, 05:37:08 PM »

Thanks Windymiller - I could probably have checked that out myself, but I'm not au fait with Twitter! 

The Mhd Advertiser blog made mention of the sandbags being used to block the High Street to stop the water spreading there, that and the tweet and what Mike reported are starting to look like there is an awful lot of water coming our way.  (I do hope I'm not adding 2+2 and getting 5 though.)
MikeS

« Reply #198 on: February 12, 2014, 06:06:26 PM »

So, sandbags round the causeway and along doorways in high street. Moor looks to be down a foot maybe more.

I'm hoping this is "showing we are taking this seriously" but  its a bit scary.

I'm off out to make more and bags in a minute.

Mike
windymiller

« Reply #199 on: February 12, 2014, 06:48:30 PM »

For info, the EA's Flood Warning website doesn't mention any imminent huge (eg - 2ft) rise in river level.  Just that "river levels are expected to return to levels similar to those seen during the past week, over the weekend ... due to forecast rainfall".  I would hope that, if they were releasing a large amount of water upstream, they would mention any expected rise here? I'm taking that as a slightly reassuring sign, anyway!

River Thames from Hurley to Cookham including Harleyford, Bisham, Marlow and Bourne End
05:41 on 12 Feb 2014
The river and flooding forecast is as follows: River levels in the Hurley to Cookham areas remain very high and out of banks. However levels have reached their highest point and are very slowly starting to fall. This slow decline is expected to continue over the next 24 hours but the Thames could then once again rise after that due to forecast rainfall. Flood Warnings are still in force as property flooding is currently expected. The weather prospects are to expect heavy rain through Wednesday morning and afternoon. This will be followed by showers, some heavy at times, which will continue through Thursday.

River Thames at Cookham including Cookham Lock, Cookham Village and East Cookham Rise
13:13 on 12 Feb 2014
River levels on the Thames are generally falling. A Flood Warning remains in place as river levels are expected to start rising again from Thursday onwards in response to forecast rainfall. River levels are expected to return to levels similar to those seen during the past week, over the weekend. The Environment Agency's incident room is currently open 24 hours a day and we are monitoring the situation closely. Residents should remain vigilant. The weather prospects are to expect heavy rain through Wednesday morning and afternoon. This will be followed by showers, some heavy at times, that will continue through Thursday

James Down The Hatch

« Reply #200 on: February 12, 2014, 09:12:08 PM »

Guessing the amount of water to release at Oxford to effect a 2 feet rise in levels here would be truly reckless. The Environment Agency would never consider doing that: they do not have the computer models to predict the behaviour. Besides, we would be in severe flood warning conditions if the level was likely to rise by 2 feet. At the time of writing, a rise of 2 feet would top the 1896 level of 178cm at upstream Cookham lock.

I have no idea where this rumour came from. Let's just stick to what we know to be factual. The upstream reading peak of 138cm attained earlier this week did not top the 2003 level of 146cm. The levels are falling slowly as the EA anticipated. Some rain today (Feburary 12th) and on Friday (February 14th) will impact levels: with the normal lag of a four (ish) days shortened due to ground saturation. The forecast towards the end of February is for colder and drier conditions.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 09:06:35 PM by James Down The Hatch » Logged
Cookham Webmaster
Administrator

« Reply #201 on: February 13, 2014, 12:08:39 PM »

The river has fallen further to 119cm this morning, but is expected to start rising again later today, and get back up to 2003-type levels again at the weekend. Latest forecast from the EA for Cookham in full:

River levels on the Thames are steadily falling but remain sensitive to the further rainfall forecast over the coming days. A Flood Warning remains in place as river levels are expected to start rising again from Thursday onwards. River levels are expected to return to levels similar to those seen during the past week, over the coming weekend. The Environment Agency's incident room is currently open 24 hours a day and we are monitoring the situation closely. Residents should remain vigilant. The weather prospects are: Showers on Thursday morning are expected and there is more heavy rainfall forecast for Friday and Saturday.

02:31 on 13 Feb 2014

An elderly lady on Spade Oak Reach has had problems getting sandbags.  Her neighbour is helping her and I have given him the the new number to call for sandbags in Cookham i.e. 01628 482910.
wannabe
Administrator

« Reply #202 on: February 14, 2014, 06:51:38 AM »

Thanks,
I just have just had a look at water levels off Lightlands lane and the level inside the pumping station is about a foot higher than in the field. Looks like the station may be pumping into the gardens because I don't think it ever got as high in the fields as it is in the pumping station now. when they built the brick bund they didn't put anything in to release trapped water. Looks like it will top their wall about 8 inches before it will  try to get into my house..I've suggested they might want to pump their water out of my garden...

Fire service have pumped the water out. Smiley Thames water didn't seem to do anything.
Councillor Hewer has added this to the post flood action items.
Cervantes

« Reply #203 on: February 14, 2014, 12:54:57 PM »

Whilst the level may go up again it doesn't look like it will reach last weeks peak of 1.38m. There is no mention on the EA site about it returning to 2003 levels.

Was all the work prompted by the PM's message a bit late? By the time the army arrived it had peaked and flooded all it was going to flood. I mean in the Cookhams as I heard a report it was still filling up areas of land downstream. I don't mean to criticise the people on the ground. They have worked hard and come together as a community should. Just question the timing of the macro scale relief effort.
Paris
« Reply #204 on: February 14, 2014, 01:52:54 PM »

Think the comment about 2003 levels has now been removed. It certainly was there earlier in the week.  As to what happens next - have you seen the rain today?  All that lot has to go somewhere and the Thames Valley Catchment is pretty large, I for one wouldn't be surpised if we see a return to the levels of last weekend over the coming one.
fehewer

« Reply #205 on: February 15, 2014, 08:59:46 AM »

River level started rising slowly yesterday evening. Up only about 3cm overnight.   The EA website stopped reporting levels upstream at Cookham Lock at 4am (115cm).

The latest forecast from the EA for Cookham (2053 14 Feb) says that the river is expect to keep rising into next week. Maximum river levels are forecast not to exceed levels seen at the beginning of this week (Cervantes' 138cm) but only if we have no further heavy rain after Saturday.
localmum

« Reply #206 on: February 15, 2014, 11:25:31 AM »

What happened to the EA website, are they hit by the floods?
Cervantes

« Reply #207 on: February 15, 2014, 12:23:58 PM »

Still get a response from most lock level pages. Perhaps the level monitoring station at cookham was knocked out by the storm last night.

Marlow lock is a reasonable substitute which peaked at 1.23m (highest recorded) last week. Now hovering at .92m
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 12:26:41 PM by Cervantes » Logged
fehewer

« Reply #208 on: February 17, 2014, 08:10:08 AM »

Cookham Lock river gauge came back yesterday evening and is reporting 111cm this morning, 27cm below most recent peak.

And Sutton Road is open!

Styx

« Reply #209 on: February 21, 2014, 11:53:38 AM »

With the latest river level recording 0.94cm today, are we in any danger of the road being opened up soon?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15
  Print  

Jump to: