Cookham Discussion Board
September 23, 2014, 03:17:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
24 September 2014 - IT Help at Cookham Library

27 September 2014 - Cookham Community Allotment Project

28 September 2014 - Harvest Festival at Holy Trinity

27-28 September 2014 - Cookham and Maidenhead Arts Trail

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS
DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15
  Print  
Author Topic: River Level  (Read 51714 times)
Showem

« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2014, 09:42:13 AM »

All the extra water from upstream is moving through. Hence the rise.
EUWAVE

« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2014, 09:48:29 AM »

Emma5781 – It can take anywhere between 48 to 96 hours for the rain that fell up river in places like Oxfordshire to reach this part of the world. What is happening with the level locally is a result of the rainfall from days ago up stream, hence the warning from the EA that local peak levels are likely around Sunday / Monday.
Paris

« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2014, 10:49:41 AM »

Peaking on Sunday or Monday - it will be a while before all the horses can move back to Strande Lane!  I noticed that the bit of the lane that was raised after the last major flood there when there was a boat for going backwards and forwards in has now flooded across.  Sadly it does look like things are going to get worse before they get better.  But it is one of those things and we just have to get on with it now that it has happened, no point crying in the flood water, it'll just make it go up even more!
fehewer

« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2014, 02:51:12 PM »

From the RBWM website flooding update at 130pm 10 January .....

"The Environment Agency advises that the River Thames will continue to rise by 5 to 10cms over the next 24 hours.

The Met Office predicts 20mm of rain on Monday and the outlook for the midweek onwards is wet and windy."

The river level hasn't changed significantly since 7am. 127cm at Cookham lock (upstream gauge).
fehewer

« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2014, 08:38:49 AM »

There has been no significant change in the river gauge measurement at Cookham Lock overnight.  It's at 128cm (upstream side).  Hurley and Maidenhead gauges are steady too.  It's looking like the EA forecast for a 5-10cm by lunchtime rise was too high, but the error may be in the timing, so it would e wise to keep a close eye on it at http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/riverlevels/136496.aspx?stationId=7164 on teh case the rise is still to come.

@CllrFionaHewer
fehewer

« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2014, 12:56:15 PM »

127cm at lunchtime. Very busy on the Causeway and streets around with people visiting to look at the floods.
wannabe
Administrator

« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2014, 01:06:15 PM »

Environment Agency on Jubilee River
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GwiUPaA9BDo
fehewer

« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2014, 05:02:53 PM »

River level remaining steady at 126cm.
fehewer

« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2014, 05:52:50 PM »

Latest from the Environment Agency South East on the Thames at http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/news/151556.aspx?coverage=&persona=&sector=&frompanel=1.

The EA statement includes the following bits I thought were of particular relevance:
".....Between Reading to Maidenhead levels are now stabilising. However, between Windsor and Chertsey, levels are still rising, but very slowly. The River Thames is expected to stop rising in all parts within the next 24 hours but it may be some days before the levels are back to normal......The Jubilee River flood scheme is in operation, reducing the risk of flooding to communities in Maidenhead, Windsor and Eton....People are also urged to avoid driving or walking through flood water. Fast-flowing water that is just 15cm deep can be enough to knock an adult off their feet.

Ian Tomes, Flood and Costal risk Manager, said: “River levels will remain high for the next few days and we expect to see further property flooding. We’re paying close attention to the River Thames, particularly Windsor, Datchet, Wraysbury, Egham and Staines."

@CllrFionaHewer
CH

« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2014, 10:30:11 PM »

Anyone know how the road past Longridge is? I need to be in Marlow tomorrow and not sure the best way to drive.
emma5781

« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2014, 10:51:25 PM »

Anyone know how the road past Longridge is? I need to be in Marlow tomorrow and not sure the best way to drive.
I walked there today as was in marlow, apparently some boys were cycling through but I wouldn't recommend a car going through. The main road through Marlow is clear just could be busy with cars looking at the river thames.
Mumofone

« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2014, 10:53:58 PM »

Go down through Furze Platt/Pinkneys and along the bypass if I were you. I went by and looked down to Longridge and that area is an ocean.
fehewer

« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2014, 09:50:08 AM »

Good morning.  River level news is getting a bit better. The river has fallen 4cm in the last 24 hours and is now 121cm upstream of Cookham Lock (http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/riverlevels/136496.aspx?stationId=7162).   

The Moor Road closed when the river rose to 100cm, but last winter it wasn't reopened until the river fell to 90cm.  At the slow rate of falling, that could be a few days off.  There is nothing new this morning, but RBWM are posting road closure updates at http://www.rbwm.gov.uk/web/news_flood_update.htm.

The A4094 north of Cookham Bridge floods at 112cm, but closing/opening it is down to the Bucks authorities and I don't have a sense of when they do things.

This year was my first experience of the A4094 Sutton Road closing due to flooding. It closed when the river rose to 118cm.  Based on what happens with the Moor Road, I'd guess it may not open 'til the river has fallen below 110cm.

@CllrFionaHewer
fehewer

« Reply #103 on: January 13, 2014, 07:36:54 AM »

The river remains high but has dropped 15cm over the weekend. The EA gauge upstream of Cookham Lock is 113cm this morning.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/riverlevels/136496.aspx?stationId=7162

@CllrFionaHewer
Jabber
Administrator

« Reply #104 on: January 13, 2014, 12:10:42 PM »

I note that in our garden that water stopped flowing out of the river into the fields around 10am and it has now started moving back from fields to river, at least in Spade Oak Reach.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15
  Print  

Jump to: