Cookham Discussion Board
April 19, 2018, 06:11:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
19 April 2018 - Open Minds - The Teenagers Debating Group

22 April 2018 - Odney Club - Open Garden

24 April 2018 - Give Blood at the Pinder Hall

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BT exchange glitch this morning  (Read 1753 times)
aj

« on: December 30, 2013, 04:44:11 PM »

Earlier today (Lower Rd area), we lost dial tone for about 10 minutes and then when the line came back everything seemed normal except that our broadband didn't work. I rang the ISP and they said that one thing to check was that the landline number hadn't changed. Eh, I thought.... how could that be... but he turned out to be absolutely correct. When I rang our landline from my mobile, it didn't ring, and when I rang out from the landline - which seemed to be working perfectly - to the mobile, the number was completely different (same 01628 prefix) as our landline number.

BT say they hope to fix it 'by 2nd January' which is rather unimpressive; fortunately I can tether to my mobile for internet access, but meanwhile we've swapped numbers with someone else, so if you are grappling with broadband issues but your phone line seems ok, it might be worth ringing out to your mobile to see if, in fact, your landline number changed unexpectedly this morning.... and we'll be checking our phone bill pretty carefully next time, heaven only knows what the situation would be wrt billed calls on the incorrect landline number.

Rich

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 07:41:00 PM »

I've had this before luckily a bt engineer was at the cabinet at the end of the road and sorted it. Apparently the boxes around here are in a right mess
Birdman

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 03:25:49 PM »

Many moons ago, when I was actually younger than Gandalf, I was trained to do work in street cabinets. But in those days it was a doddle, with huge pliars and soldering irons to do the job.
What its like now with everything thinner than a hair of my head, and see-through to boot, I can't imagine! ( we used to call cabinet work 'knitting', so perhaps that's what Rich noticed: obvioulsy nothing has changed!
GeekBoy

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 11:34:53 AM »

We lost our phone and Broadband just before Christmas and it was due to an engineer cutting our cable in the cabinet by mistake.  This was dispite BT telling me that the line test was ok and that it must be a problem with our handset.  They also said it would take 2 days to send another engineer out but then strangely one turned up within a few hours and quickly fixed the fault.   

I'd suggest that if your broadband/phone line suddenly go down then you quickly check the cabinet to see if an engineer might be working there and inform them of the issue.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: