Cookham Discussion Board
January 24, 2018, 01:52:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
24 January 2018 - Cookham Surgery Closed for GP Training (12.30pm onward)

26 January 2018 - Jazz at the Altar Featuring Upbeat

27 January 2018 - Bingo, Bangers and Mash

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Paintings of Cookham and surrounding areas  (Read 2993 times)
goldenmeadow

« on: January 03, 2014, 05:23:27 PM »

Lovely  painting of the  Thames  near  Maidenhead.... by Alfred de Breanski Jr

Birdman

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 08:23:11 PM »

Beautiful indeed, Goldenmeadow, complete with nicely-depicted Moorhens. But I wonder if in fact it is the Thames? It is very winding, narrow and shallow (with under-surface vegetation showing through). Unless it is one of the lock bypass sections somewhere, (far side of Saches Island perhaps, with Cliveden rising in the background), I wonder if it is one of the minor rivers feeding into the Thames proper in the vicinity?
What era would Alfred have been painting in may I ask?
goldenmeadow

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 09:06:00 PM »

Could n't   see a date for the painting but Alfred de Breanski Jr
      lived   1877 - 1957
Old Cookhamite

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 12:13:04 AM »

The way the hill rises, possibly suggests the very wooded area which was close to the islands near the foot of Winter Hill in the 19th century. The willows appear to be on an island and there were many more reeds and rushes in the river there then than now.

The de Breanski family lived in Cookham and Alfred de Breanski jr painted several pictures around Marlow lock. The Bucks bank this would have been painted from is quite close to the lock.
goldenmeadow

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 10:16:59 PM »

Miles Birket Foster
 it was after moving to Witley near  Godalming  in  Surrey.... that Birket Foster produced the works for which he is best known - a sentimentalised view of the contemporary English countryside, particularly in the west Surrey area.

Surely he must have known about Cookham, and probably visited the area.
He  had an immense output of paintings... mainly in watercolour... cottages, landscapes,
watermills...  he  died in  March  1899.
goldenmeadow

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 10:21:35 PM »

View from Hedsor Hill on the Thames, near Cookham
By  John  Pedder

James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 05:18:59 PM »

Hi Goldenmeadow. I posted some paintings a way back in Historical Cookham, of work by William Havel of that same period. If you take a close look at at the work of these artists, it looks very likely that they are of the same school of artists. The oil you have with the cattle I would put very close to where Hedsor Wharf use to be.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: