Cookham Discussion Board
December 16, 2018, 02:31:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
15 December 2018 -  Come and Sing

15 December 2018 -  Christmas with Cantorum

20 December 2018 - Open Minds - The Teenagers Debating Group

25 December 2018 - Christmas Day Carols by Candlelight

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: FLOOD EMERGENCY.  (Read 40147 times)
Aries

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2014, 12:52:09 PM »

FLOOD WARNING NO LONGER IN FORCE

I have Just received the following text (subset) and phone call from the EA

"The Flood Warning for the River Thames at Cookham is no longer in force.  

No further flooding is currently expected for your area.

Flood Warnings and Alerts may still be in force for surrounding areas."

And that is just minutes after a heavy downpour!  Anyhow, the panic seems to be off for now and it's time to get back to normal.

I was wondering about the fate of the mountain of unused sandbags in The Crown car park.  Perhaps these could be made available to those villagers who have not been able to obtain their own.   It would help reduce the return overhead at the same time as increasing people's flood defences for the future.  Anybody know this situation?
Mumofone

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2014, 08:04:53 PM »

I hope they can be distributed to those in the most imminent areas of danger if they are wanted, or if the sand is of the right type/quality, it can be utilised for any repair work etc. I sincerely hope it does not go to waste. The thing is, hessian rots really quickly so the sand would need to be removed and stored for refilling sandbags at a later date.
Merlin
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2014, 08:04:24 AM »

I was told (by an official) that The Crown car park sand bag collection was the distribution point for all houses
within the flood area, including those in Datchet and Wraysbury . . . go figure!!
It appears the bags will stay where they are for the time being with those persons seeking sand bags for their
property welcome to come along to collect them.
The Army presence is still evident . . . although they too are at a loss as to 'what happens next'!
The sand bags still line the bund and Moor Road around The Crown. . . whilst the river levels continue to recede.
Go figure . . . again!
EUWAVE

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2014, 09:16:07 AM »

Historically the magic mark for closing or opening the road across the Moor is 100. As of 8.45am today the level at the lock was showing 105, so I guess that is the reason they have not as yet dismantled the protective sand bags and re-opened the Moor road.
Paris
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2014, 10:15:41 AM »

I was thinking the same as you EUWAVE.  I guess they are hedging their bets at the moment, as the forecast up to 28 Feb is currently indicating that there could be some quite heavy rain still to come.
Cookham Webmaster
Administrator

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2014, 02:18:07 PM »

The Parish Office be used over the next 3 days as a ‘Community Hub’ for the provision of flood related advice and guidance to residents ( there are similar facilities in Wraysbury and Datchet).

The Hub will be open from 9am until 7pm ( NB Parish Office staff will only be present during our normal hours) from today until Friday and representatives of RBWM, Police, Fire Service, Environment Agency and Aviva will be attending. Details of this service are being advertised on RBWM’s website, in the press, local radio, cookham.com  and on our notice boards.
Aries

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2014, 08:43:15 PM »

But why have these sessions at the Parish Office?  It is located in Cookham High Road, up in the "mountains" and well away from the flooded area.  It’s not much of a location for us villagers – over a mile away.  Am I missing something here?

The road across The Moor is still closed and probably will remain so for the next day or so.   Surely it would have made more sense to hold these sessions in The Village somewhere, for example Holy Trinity offices, Holy Trinity School (closed for half term) or even Moor Hall.

Mumofone

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2014, 10:19:31 PM »

Huh

It's not far at all, I really don't understand what about 5-10 minutes walking distance away is any sort of issue at all. Confused.com
Dragonman

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2014, 10:53:29 PM »

You see Mumofone some people have never had to use Shanks Mare, and they are too lazy to learn!
Mumofone

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2014, 11:44:30 PM »

Indeed Dragonman. This localised issue has added 1-2 hrs extra walking/travel time each day going between Cookham and Maidenhead. Cookham is a very supportive village, and people will help the truly incapacitated and vulnerable as seen over the years ( many lifts and favours go on daily). But really, High Road or High Street for a meeting makes zero difference whatsoever to anyone.
Merlin
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2014, 09:51:32 AM »

Errr . . can someone remind me exactly where the threat of flooding took place this past month?
Was it in Cookham Village or was it up in the Rise or indeed, the High Road (up in the mountains) ?!

Irrespective of whether it takes 5 to 10 minutes to walk it from the Village  (supercharged booties, I'd wager!) -
or indeed 20 to 30 minutes for Mum's with kids or the elderly, the Meeting ought to take place
at the Parish Centre in the heart of Cookham Village where most, if not all the residents can attend . . .
rather than said residents postponing or indeed not bothering (because using Shanks Pony as often
as we have had to endure these past weeks too-ing and fro-ing across the Causeway, can cause tedium).

So let's not get carried away and overly criticise nor label folk as "lazy" . . . it does make sense to
have the Meeting in the locality where the flooding was considered most threatening  . . .
not up on high ground where no one really gives a damn!

. . . or is that too much to ask and thus leave myself open to further criticism?
Archimedes

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2014, 11:52:26 AM »

I thought Strande Lane area had problems as the pumping station was flooded and portable loos were being delivered. Also I saw the Fire Brigade doing something with water drainage there recently.
Paris
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2014, 12:03:54 PM »

Strande Lane had plenty of problems.  The householders in Lightlands Lane were affected by the pumping station and were sandbagged.  The householders in Strande Lane had water lapping at their doors, indeed some of the them even moved out once the sandbags were in place and the livery yard business at the end of the land had to move lock, stock and barrel to other premises (twice) this year.  A portaloo was delivered for all those in Strande Lane/Lightlands Lane (one chap had a chemical loo delivered to his house owing to infirmity) as they were unable to use either their septic tanks or normal mains facilities.  So they should definitely be involved in any meetings, and I suspect will be very vociferous attendees!
monty

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2014, 03:04:06 PM »

Paris I live in Strande Park Park Home site and we did not have any trouble with the pumping station. Yes were warned that if it stopped working we would have problems but to us in the Park Home site we were OK.
Paris
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2014, 04:31:10 PM »

That's good Monty, but did you venture down the lane through the flood to see the properties at the bottom of Strande Lane?  If you did you would have seen what I was on about.  Also the people in Lightlands Lane (I think Wannabe may have been one of them) had to have their gardens pumped out, also the entrance to Gainsborough was flooded across where it dips, I think that was pumped out as well.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: