Cookham Discussion Board
August 21, 2018, 07:48:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
23 August 2018 - Cookham - Flood Response Training

27 August 2018 - Garden Open - St Timothee, Maidenhead

1 September 2018 - Cookham Regatta

1 September 2018 -  Pop Up Sri Lanken Restaurant at the Old Butchers

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Mail being returned to sender  (Read 9454 times)
aj

« on: March 23, 2014, 10:56:08 AM »

On several occasions recently I have had correspondence from more than one bank returned to sender. This has caused considerable inconvenience since on two occasions, one of the banks froze my account without telling me, because the mail had been returned, triggering their fraud alert systems.

Most recently credit card correspondence from another bank has been returned to sender and a debit card has failed to be delivered. Our address is hardly obscure and is well signposted at street level.

At first this seemed baffling. However, I am beginning to suspect what may really be going on and wondered if anyone else in the Cookham/Maidenhead area has noticed anything similar.

What I suspect - but to be absolutely clear I have no evidence (yet) for, and therefore I am not making any specific accusation, is that, POSSIBLY:-

1. At the local sorting office (or possibly elsewhere in the delivery chain) one or more individuals are getting hold of mail, and riffling through it once out of immediate surveillance.

2. Any mail from a bank is given special attention. If, by feeling the envelope, it looks like it contains a card, that card is intercepted and sold on to third parties. Possibly account details are also of value and are being intercepted (by opening bank statements). These items, will of course, never be delivered; they are, presumably, destroyed.

3. Most of the intercepted (but otherwise unopened) correspondence is then either delivered late or - more likely - simply popped into a mailbox somewhere with 'return to sender' scrawled across the envelope. This, presumably, stops too many senders registering a complaint since they will, in most cases, simply re-send the item. As for bank statements, probably few people notice if the odd one goes missing.

I stress once again that I have absolutely no evidence for these assertions but they do explain the odd fact that - as far as I can determine - only bank correspondence appears to be experiencing this problem (and, yes, the address and post code are correct on these), but not other items.

If anyone else in the Cookham/Maidenhead area is experiencing any problems with mail deliveries, particularly financial correspondence, perhaps they might care to share these here. I intend to make a formal complaint to the Royal Mail but any evidence that the problem is more widespread than just myself will obviously add weight to any complaint.

Paris
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 11:20:11 AM »

Interesting.   For a while last year we had the strange experience of all of our post arriving on the same day.  This went on for a couple of months until, having compared notes with neighbours, we raised a query with the sorting office.  Next thing you know we're having a different postman and our post arriving throughout the week as it should be.

I also had a tax disc go missing (a replacement was sent and the original never did turn up) after renewing online and two bank statements and a cheque book failed to arrive.  In both cases I had to order replacements from the bank.  This was all during the period when our mail was being 'held back' for a once a week delivery.

From this experience, and yours it certainly appears that something out of the ordinary is happening.  Hating to cast aspersions, but it really does look like some of the staff are having a 'sort through' above and beyond what is required.
redsquirrel

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 11:55:47 AM »

I have been missing a few payments owed to me by HMRC.  After reading your post today, I called to find out what was going on with this.  I was told that correspondence sent to me, via Royal Mail, had been returned to sender.  My address and bank details had been removed from the system as a precaution and my account frozen. 

Obviously I have not received any of these letters, my address details have not changed - basically there is no reason why any of it should have been returned. 

Perhaps you are onto something here AJ.  Most frustrating! We have also had weeks of hardly any post arriving, only to get a bumper delivery once a fortnight.  We live in Cookham.

RS.
CH

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 11:52:32 AM »

Yes!!  I've had exactly the same thing.  I put in a complaint to Royal Mail last week because of it.

I had two HMRC letters go missing around new year (it was an incorrect coding so caused problems).  Last week bank statements had been returned and a block was put on my account and then an important pension document was returned to sender.

The same thing happened mid-last year.  I put in a complaint and it seemed to resolve.  When I complained again last week they didn't seem to be that bothered about getting to the bottom of why it had happened, just that they would make sure things arrived in future.

I'm really frustrated as I don't know what else has gone missing - could be important financial documents or bills for all I know.
lizzyk

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 02:56:54 PM »

Yesterday my mail was delivered and I noticed one of those red cards for a parcel delivery saying I was out when they called. I was definitely in and was able to actually shout out to the postman, who was only on the other side of the road. He then gave me the parcel. He never rang the bell just dropped the card in with the mail. I don't know what he was gaining apart from not having to wait to deliver the parcel.

In the bad weather I had a parcel returned to sender saying address unknown, although it was fine.
GeekBoy

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 04:56:11 PM »

I just wanted to point out that this isn't necessarily a reflection on all of the postal workers.  Our postman is very friendly and helpful with things like asking where is the best place to leave a parcel if we are out etc.

Recently he even put a card through the door saying that he'd returned our dog to our garden as he'd noticed it had escaped!   Grin
Cat

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 12:05:06 PM »

I also had difficulty with the safe delivery of my cheque books some months ago.
I had contacted my bank frustrated that my new cheque book had not arrived and was told by my bank that there was an alert on my account saying that I had gone away.
When I queried where I had gone as I have not moved from my present address I was then told that they had several corrospondence returned as not being deliverable.
I sorted this with the bank but it happened again a few months later.
At the time I was frustrated with the bank as I thought they had been incompetent.
Now reading AJ's comments I'm left wondering.
Cat

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 01:12:52 PM »

Further update.

Just a few minutes ago I received an email from an organisation with whom I have worked in the past.
They had apparently sent me a parcel back in February of this year containing gifts and good wishes from the staff.
The parcel has just been returned to them today, with no explanation given as to why it was not delivered.

My home is easy to find so I am at a loss as to why the Royal Mail failed to deliver this item.

Something is going awry so I feel it is now time to take this matter up with the appropriate personnel at Royal Mail.
CH

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 01:51:08 PM »

Where are you people who are also having problems?  I'm just wondering if it's one particular delivery area.

I'm on Lower Road.
lizzyk

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 08:02:28 PM »

I am in New Road. Someone did say that there is a union convenor doing our round who is very unhelpful. I am not sure how true this is or what a union convenor does if it comes to that.
aj

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 07:35:02 PM »

I am in Lower Rd, so a pattern is starting to emerge. CH, to whom did you previously complain?. Since your complaint seems to have been treated rather casually, I think the next step is to find out the next level of management in the chain and write to them. I intend to make it quite clear that, given the number of responses in this thread, the evidence of systematic problems is starting to mount up, and that if I do not receive a satisfactory response to my complaint, I intend to involve the police.

I have, also, yet to receive replacement credit and debit cards for the previously missing ones - so the problem may still be ongoing.

redsquirrel

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 07:41:36 PM »

I am on Lower rd too.
Birdman

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 02:47:29 PM »

Whilst it seems odd that the problems being outlined seem to apply to only a small area, I wonder if this is a wider problem and simply related to recent hikes in both general and business mailing rates. Whilst the usual procedure for a parcel with inadequate stampage on is that the recipient it first asked if they would like to pay the difference, if it is franked or business 'mass' mailing, the sorting office are permitted to make the assessment of inadequate postage and send it back before you even get to see it!

With the recent emphasis on staff for extra efficiency in retriveing full postage rates pre-sale of the business, I suspect there will have many more incidents of business mail being returned. Just a thought.
lizzyk

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 03:51:55 PM »

I have noticed that recently if I get a parcel they are just left on the doorstep even when I am in. In the good old days they did ring the door bell. Yesterday a parcel was left round the back on top of a wheelie bin with no note or anything which is annoying if it is raining and it gets soaked.
aj

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 07:13:12 PM »

While it's an interesting theory wrt insufficient postage, I'm assuming that the major banks (whose correspondence appears to be primarily going missing) are using bulk mail schemes. I'm currently trying to figure out who to actually complain to so I don't just get brushed off. The Royal Mail security site is entirely unconcerned with the idea that mail might go missing due to employee fraud and I'm beginning to wonder that, if, as someone else said, prominent union members *might* be involved in delivery, then you can imagine that any manager with suspicions might well be very wary of pursuing the matter without some pretty cast-iron proof.

I stress, once again, that I have no evidence at this stage of any wrongdoing on the part of Royal Mail employees. However the facts of the matter admit of very few plausible explanations other than some form of organised mail interception, as far as I can see, and, to be frank, if that proves to be the case, decisive action needs to be taken to stop it immediately.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: