Cookham Discussion Board
December 16, 2018, 02:29:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
15 December 2018 -  Come and Sing

15 December 2018 -  Christmas with Cantorum

20 December 2018 - Open Minds - The Teenagers Debating Group

25 December 2018 - Christmas Day Carols by Candlelight

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Birdman  (Read 5800 times)
smokey1

« on: June 06, 2014, 08:30:37 AM »

My husband built an owl box a few years ago, it is high in the trees in our garden This year we have had a Tawney owl nesting and a baby, not sure if there is more than one. We thought they had flown as we did not see them in the box for the last couple of nights. The parent tended to sit at the front, but last night the baby was sitting at the front while the birds around were causing merry hell. We are so pleased that they nested but the question is, will they come back to the box at night and treat it like home or will they disappear?? Smiley

« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 12:34:33 PM by Cookham Webmaster » Logged
Jo Jo

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 01:07:06 PM »

Perhaps the baby is being taught how to hunt as they tend to go out at nights. Last year I used to hear a barn owl at nights I am not sure if I have this year though.
Dragonman

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 02:26:09 PM »

Look on the ground below the box to see if you can see any of the owl pellets. From those you can see what the owls have been feeding on.
Paris
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 04:44:24 PM »

Hope the chick has a nicer diet than poor Grub on Springwatch.  I think he's getting more than a bit fed up with gooey slugs now!

(If you don't know who Grub is - watch Springwatch on Monday, he's the cutest, fluffiest, stickiest chick in town)
Birdman

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 10:20:11 PM »

Hi Smokey - yes indeed, the birds will be not far from the nest box for a few weeks as the youngster/s are built up for independance. Currently, the young have 'semi-fledged' (topical comment!) and often flop out of the box and may spend some time on the ground or on nearby branches but are remarkably adept at climbing back up the tree to get back into the box.
Provided the box isn't subsequently commandeered by squirrels, Jackdaws, Stock Doves or Mandarin Ducks (the latter of which I once found 22 eggs of in a Tawny box!), the pair will use it year after year.

For the statistics we are collecting for Berkshire's Tawny Owls, would you mind advising roughly what part of the Cookhams you are in please? If you don't want to go public, please use the email address on the Cookham.com wildlife page.
Cookham Webmaster
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 12:35:07 PM »

A couple of photos from smokey1

smokey1

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 01:14:09 PM »

Cookham webmaster and Birdman, many thanks for posting the photos. Have not seen the adult at all today, possible that he has gone but will continue to keep any eye out.
wannabe
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 11:20:11 PM »

I feel an owl box coming on!
mikethecabbie

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 06:49:28 PM »

Driving my taxi across Widbrook yesterday.... Did I see an EGRET paddling around??? Sure looked like one, but I WAS driving.
kingfisher

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 09:18:44 AM »

Yes you did Mike,,,the pair of Egrets have been there a while now...
Smokey i'd love to come and photograph your baby Owls.... Roll Eyes Shocked Grin

smokey1

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 11:44:55 AM »

Kingfisher, Had not seen the adult for a few days, but was there yesterday. The parent likes a particular branch of the fir tree. Not sure where the baby is although there was a bit of activity in the trees yesterday. Looked like 2 owls flying from branch to branch, no sign of them today. What are your thoughts about the activity and what they are up to.
Birdman

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 12:04:09 PM »

HI Smokey - one of the birds at least was in trees around the cattle pastures between Maidenhead Rd and Lightlands Lane over the weekend. They gradually get more adventurous as the weeks go by tho the young do tend to stay near the adults for quite a few weeks after fledging. It has not been a particularly brilliant year for Tawnies as most I have heard about only seem to have reared one or two young (and in the case of the Springwatch one, only finding things like slugs to feed them on - plenty in my garden if any are still looking!!).

And yes, as has been said, a few more nest boxes around the village will help their numbers to remain stable. There has been reduced take-up of the ones in Bisham and Quarry Woods in recent times, so I am sure birds are looking elsewhere.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: