Cookham Discussion Board
December 14, 2018, 02:04:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
10 December 2018 - The Media Hub - Tim Brooke-Taylor OBE

11 December 2018 - Cookham Surgery Closed for Training 12.30pm onwards

13 December 2018 -  WilldCookham Christmas Catch Up - FREE

13 December 2018 - Cookham Book Club

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Development of Land North of Station Hill  (Read 32036 times)
bw

« on: July 21, 2014, 02:44:49 PM »

Oakford Homes (A small privately owned housebuilder based in Hedsor) has mail dropped some local houses. The flier is an open invitation to a public exhibition to view draft plans for a "bespoke development of family homes" on the land adjacent to Station Hill and the nursery and takes place at the Parish Council Offices, High Rd, Cookham Rise on Wednesday 23rd July between 4pm and 8pm. As this land is currently an attractive meadow overlooking the Cookham Conservation Area and is visible to anyone approaching Cookham via Maidenhead Road I suggest that anyone interested in this and the surrounding open areas should attend and find out what they are up to.
Paris
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 03:33:10 PM »

i'm not too clever at negotiating the planning portal on rbwm - has an application been submitted does anyone know?
bw

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 04:27:44 PM »

No, it's just a proposal at the moment.
Gazzetta

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 10:23:53 PM »

Isn't an attractive meadow slightly stretching the imagination.   I always assumed it was overgrown wasteland.
Paris
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 10:44:01 AM »

Then it is a proposal that needs un-proposing pretty promptly.  We've been through all of this before - are the Cookham Society involved yet?
Aries

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 11:35:57 AM »

I have not yet seen the proposals but from what is described above, the site seems to be "The Ponyfield" at "Poundfield" or thereabouts.   Oakford Homes has a website at:

http://www.oakfordhomes.co.uk/contact-us

The address given at the above is "Hedsor Court Farm, Sheepcote Lane, Hedsor, Buckinghamshire, SL1 8PE"

Now, the nearby Hedsor Park Farm is the HQ if Copas Farms.

http://www.copasfarms.co.uk/estate/

Many will remember that Geoffrey Copas, in previous times, attempted to get planning permission to build on Poundfield.

Too much of a Coincidence?

Archimedes

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 11:54:26 AM »

Wasn't the possibility of this development the reason that the Cookham Society was set up in the first place in the dim distant past?
Gazzetta

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 12:15:38 PM »

I think this area beside the primary school is an ideal area for development is surely the development across Poundfield Lane on the site of the old pub sets a good precedent of what can be achieved.
Birdman

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 01:27:21 PM »

As I recall the last time objections were raised against this field being developed, some overturned railway trucks and some pigs arrived!!!
Cookie

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 02:49:33 PM »

"I always assumed it was overgrown wasteland."

One man's overgrown wasteland is another man's green oasis.
Wintery
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 03:36:24 PM »

I find this infuriating .... why should anyone be expected to waste their time when no planning application even exists! Sad the council appear to be supporting this.
Cervantes

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 03:41:31 PM »

"I always assumed it was overgrown wasteland."

One man's overgrown wasteland is another man's green oasis.

Or another man's ticket to early retirement
simonstendell
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 04:35:52 PM »

Re Archimedes post about the origins of the Cookham Society:

I thought it was set up in the late '60s to oppose gravel extraction from land at White Place Farm. My late father was actively involved at the time and continued as a stalwart member for many years, particularly with an eye on planning proposals. Can anyone confirm please? Thanks.
FionaBeaumont

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 06:09:22 PM »

When I was a child this land was owned jointly by the Gilbert-Scott family, (who own Herons Court in Terry's lane and many paddocks around there) and the Elsden family who lived in Glimpses in the Pound.
Both were, (and still are), equestrian enthusiasts. The Gilbert-Scotts are a leading professional showing family with many championship wins at Horse of the Year show. Some  Cookham children were lucky enough to ride their beautiful show ponies. I also vividly remember one of the Elsden daughter's, (Mandy I think), getting married at Holy Trinity when there was the most amazing carriage procession across the Causeway on the moor.

The field was then used for occasional pony grazing and to many children it was known, (and still is),  'the jumping field' as it had a set of jumps and a schooling ring. As an organiser of Cookham Riding Club we also used it weekly for group lessons and it was invaluable to us and we were always indebted to the families for letting us use it.

It is really sad this is no longer the case, and, assuming the families no longer own the land, I do feel that by taking away this sociable and timeless facility away and leaving it unkempt, as it has been over the last decade or so, has always been in the plan to reduce resistance to it being urbanised.

It was always lovely to come into Cookham to see children and their ponies jumping around this precious piece of land. 
cfarnsbarn

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 08:55:49 PM »

Aries you got it in one.All those years ago we fought it tooth and nail.Let's hope this man can be stopped again.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: