Cookham Discussion Board
December 19, 2018, 12:49:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
20 December 2018 - Open Minds - The Teenagers Debating Group

25 December 2018 - Christmas Day Carols by Candlelight

26 December 2018 -  Boxing Day Games

5 January 2019 - BFI Film Academy (ages 16-19)

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Development of Land North of Station Hill  (Read 32147 times)
Dragonman

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 09:54:32 PM »

Yes, Aries and CFB you have got it right, he thinks and acts like the God Janus!
Gazzetta

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 12:29:28 PM »

Every day there is a news article about the desperate shortage of homes, and whether you create a new town on Green Belt or use small plots scattered around the country we needs to address this shortage.   This is not just about someone making a quick buck its about supply and demand.   We cannot be precious about every spot of greenery.  We all need to accept that the population is growing and with growth comes prosperity.   The question is not can we build on this plot of land.  The question must be will it look good, feel good and meet the needs of those that want and need to live in Cookham.
anon
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 01:25:59 PM »

In which case, let's build on the gas works site first.
JB

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 02:24:30 PM »

If.. (I'm not 100% sure it is so correct me if wrong)

But the "A small privately owned housebuilder based in Hedsor"  seems to be misleading to me.
A check on the company shows:  *note this is all publicly available info*

Cash: 1.5MGBP    Net Worth: 2.2MGBP   Current Liabilities: 4.8M
Oakford Homes Limited
Company Number: 04732485
Company Type: Private limited with share capital
SIC 2003: 4521 — General Construction Of Buildings And Civil Engineering Works
SIC 2007: 42990 — Construction Of Other Civil Engineering Projects N.e.c.

Registered Address:
Iveco House
Station Road
Watford
Herts
WD17 1DL
United Kingdom

Mr Brendan Jacob Thomas Morrissey
Director, Finance Director

Mr Christopher Coates
Director

Mr Ian Crawshay-Ralston
Director

Mr Sebastian Kemp
Director

Mr Christopher Coates
Director,

Mr Stuart Greenwood
Director, Technical Director

Jo Jo

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 03:17:26 PM »

If you go to their website  http://www.oakfordhomes.co.uk and then click on contact us it says:

For all enquiries please contact us at:

Hedsor Court Farm, Sheepcote Lane, Hedsor, Buckinghamshire, SL1 8PE
Sutton

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 04:19:42 PM »

We need to remember that Cookham's Village Design Statement made an intensive study, from villagers' own analysis, into exactly what makes Cookham the lovely place it is. It frequently mentions residents' much-repeated wish to retain and protect the green spaces and the natural 'fingers of green' between areas of existing development.

Don't be fooled. The 'pony field', as it is known, is an important part of Poundfield and, as Aries says, the Copas family has been trying to build on Poundfield on various occasions since about 1961. To cast any doubt on their involvement here is, regrettably, naïve, and (as Jo Jo spotted) this application from a different company is simply a smoke-screened lead into further Copas planning applications.

To allow any development at all on the pony field would be the thin end of the wedge and, if Cookham people don't fight this threat off again, more applications will follow until the whole of the lovely, rural backdrop and border to the ancient Pound area is developed. Then, flanked and surrounded by an estate of modern houses, whatever their design, that attractive, historic part of Cookham Village's Conservation Area will be destroyed for ever.

The former pony field is a rough, natural field where wildlife flourishes. It is now the only open, green space left in the long run of intensive development from Bradcutts Lane all the way down to the Moor, giving all who pass it (or approach it when entering Cookham from Maidenhead Road) a subtle, probably subconscious reminder of the idyllic, more extensive open spaces which surround us all. It is a pleasing spot which reminds us that Cookham is - at present, at least - still a village, and long may those of us who want to live in a real village enjoy that charming and most welcoming patch of unmanicured green, which is part of the very essence of Cookham.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 04:22:58 PM by Sutton » Logged
Paris
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2014, 10:31:28 AM »

Time to start the fight again.

It's a shame that it couldn't have carried on being used by local riders.  Perhaps then Cookham Riding Club wouldn't have folded and we wouldn't have lost our lovely friendly Cookham horse show and gymkhana. An event that many people used to enjoy, not just those interested in equestrian pursuits.
JK

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2014, 10:57:25 AM »

This build would destroy one of the few open spaces in the village and I am 100% convinced that it is only phase 1 of bigger plans for the fields behind.
CH

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2014, 12:40:44 PM »

Right, I'm going to play devils advocate on this.

It comes across that a lot of people are thinking about what the field used to be like.  Currently it is a scrubby piece of land which when you come into the village looks untended and I would personally say a poor introduction to Cookham.  Yes, I realise that's because it hasn't been looked after (possibly on purpose) but that's where we are.

I think we are in real need of housing and as long as it didn't impinge on the nursery school and it was in sympathy with the conservation area I really don't understand the sense in objecting to it.  I can think of a lot worse places for people to be wanting to build.

[steps back and takes cover]
JA

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2014, 01:13:59 PM »

Take cover indeed.

'[But] that's where we are'.. it would be the work of a day or two to tidy the ponyfield up: I am sure we could get enough volunteers together. However the owners would refuse permission since leaving a site 'scrubby' is an accepted tactic when proposing a development and clearly it's in their interests to leave it looking 'scrubby'. And please, do enlighten me how paving over the field in concrete could in any conceivable way be 'in sympathy with the conservation area'?

Two of the owners, the Elsdens, live in Derbyshire so I guess this is just a remote financial opportunity for them. However the other two owners - the Gilbert Scotts - live in Cookham further up Poundfield Lane: I for one find it surprising that they are prepared to trample over the passionately-held and vociferously expressed wishes of the fellow residents of a village in which they are very well-known and have played a significant part in its life for many years, all in their desire for money. Maybe, probably, I am just naïve.

And convenient how this has been timed to kick off in the first week of the school holidays..

JB

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2014, 03:00:08 PM »

Non stop building and over population are major contributing factors to the recent flooding we've had recently (that and the rain and poor waterways management)
We don't need more houses in Cookham, just less people.
The traffic is horrendous as it is, most weekends Cookham is like a giant slow moving car park.

The overcrowding is bad for people's mental and physical health as well.

simonstendell
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2014, 04:59:57 PM »

I'm with CH (sticks head over parapet and prepares for flack ...). It is no use harking back to what Cookham used to be. Having been born (1958 vintage) and raised here, but then moved away till 2008 (I now work here - can't afford to live here!) I can see all the changes. As they say, nostalgia is not what it was.

But Cookham does need more accommodation. I would love to see 'affordable' accommodation, but realise that is unlikely to happen given the SL6 9 post code premium.

Dragonman

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 07:51:12 PM »

This is for the RWMB planners to note and I mean take it on board when issuing planning permission in the three Cookham's. Our main drainage is over taxed as it is now. Any more buildings and it will be the last straw that broke the camels back.
Jo Jo

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2014, 10:09:15 PM »

In the last twenty years the population of Cookham has gone from around four and a half thousand to six and a half thousand. We have major infrastructure problems with sewage coming up on Alfred Major and Whyteladyes.  l have to wait four weeks to get an appointment with a GP, the water pressure can be appalling and just a dribble of water comes from the tap, we are always having electricity cuts..... Sort out the infra structure first before allowing more building in Cookham Rise. I am not that sure that a car entrance a few inches away from the entrance to the Nursery School is that good an idea either.
FionaBeaumont

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2014, 09:34:03 AM »

My post about my memories of the jumping or pony field were not to voice expectations that we can go back to those days, I am not unrealistic. BUT, the pony field is one of the iconic green spaces in Cookham and in my opinion should be protected as relentlessly as if you were building on The Moor.

I get fed up with comments that ‘my children cannot afford to live in Cookham’. (None which have been included in this thread I hasten to add).

In Cookham you will find that for sale at the moment are;
A one bedroom home in Strande Park, £68,950
A one bedroom apartment overlooking fields, £192,000
Two bedroom maisonette , Broom Hill £205,00 – 215,000

These house prices are below the national average (£310,000 for the South East). My point is that you CAN live in Cookham if you wish. Okay, you may not get a pretty cottage with roses round the door and ½ acre garden, but this is supply and demand. Cookham can only provide  so many houses before the whole character of the place changes and it becomes a sprawling housing estate with no natural breaks between the Village, Rise and Dean.

We are not all millionaires trying to keep people out; we are tradespeople, shopkeepers, nurses, teachers, office workers, window cleaners. Many do a 12 hour day trudging up to London to pay the mortgage.

Fill in the open spaces with more houses if you wish, but do not expect to end up with the same village. The reason Cookham is so desirable is because of its character and visible open spaces.

By the way, in the last 10 years, 37 new builds have been sold in Cookham, so we HAVE been building houses, we have just be thoughtful about where they are built, Hatch Place being a prime example. This took no green spaces away and I, for one, think it was done very well.

And my parting shot is,– The Gas Works – come on…..why not there? This is the obvious site. Someone give me a valid argument……PLEASE!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: