Cookham Discussion Board
October 20, 2017, 12:30:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
19 October 2017 - Open Minds The Teenagers' Debating Group

20 October 2017 - Classic Rock at Cookham Dean Cricket Club

20 October 2017 - Social Dance Club

26 October 2017 - Pinder Hall AGM including free nibbles and Drinks

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Road Closures  (Read 34445 times)
EUWAVE

« on: August 20, 2014, 01:03:19 PM »

Just heard that there are going to be road closures through Cookham and surrounding areas on Sunday 7th September from 9am till 12 for a half marathon. Don,t anything more than that.
Paris
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 03:52:51 PM »

I expect it will be the usual route. 

So the same people as usual get inconvenienced. 

Can't for the life of me see why we can't have a year off now and again and the route be varied.

But hey ho, we voted for the council and the council want to have the event, so it's no use complaining, there's none so deaf as those that don't want to hear.
monty

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 04:36:05 PM »

Lightlands Lane  and Maidenhead Road shut. - so no going anywhere that morning unless we get up early and leave before 7.30. Why don't they run round the running track. Huh
Paris
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 05:44:43 PM »

Yep, same route as usual then.
 Angry
Another day where I can't pursue my hobby for the sake of someone else pursuing theirs and have my weekend wrecked as a result of restricted access.

Agree with you Monty - they should use the running track - that never seems to have anyone using it (at least every time I go past there isn't anyone there).

Or do laps around Maidenhead.  I know a friend of Purple Patch and they tell me that the council want to have a Maidenhead half marathon - well why don't they keep it around Maidenhead and do laps if they can't make a route long enough.  The High Street is pretty empty most of the time, why not go up and down there a few times?

Argghhhh.

(And yes, I have voiced and written of my annoyance to Purple Patch - all I got was a condescending 'we'll try to improve access next year' in response.)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 05:46:26 PM by Paris » Logged
Winter

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 07:00:51 PM »

Agree with you Monty - they should use the running track - that never seems to have anyone using it (at least every time I go past there isn't anyone there).

A very parochial attitude and a ridiculous comment to suggest that thousands of people run 50 times around a small track. I expect you will not be attending the Gravity Grand Prix as this also closes roads to enable people to enjoy themselves, including people from outside Cookham.
monty

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 07:33:34 PM »

Are you inconvenienced by these road closures Winter. Thank you Paris for your comments Shocked
Roger

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 08:33:10 PM »

How long are the roads closed? It says that the presentation is at 11.45am does that mean the Cookham roads will be re-opened by then?
cfarnsbarn

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 10:06:33 AM »

Seems obvious really,run on the pavement.!!!!
Paris
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 10:10:57 AM »

A very parochial attitude and a ridiculous comment to suggest that thousands of people run 50 times around a small track. I expect you will not be attending the Gravity Grand Prix as this also closes roads to enable people to enjoy themselves, including people from outside Cookham.

But Winter, the Grand Prix may close the road, but residents can still get in and out, that's not always the case with the marathon.  And, no I won't be attending the Gravity Grand Prix, it's getting out of proportion for the space available and clogs up the surrounding roads as well with all the people that drive to it and can't park when the get there.  I support the Air Ambulance in other ways.
EUWAVE

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 11:06:27 AM »

Roger the note I saw yesterday said the roads would be closed between 9 and 12. Regarding the route used I suggest that perhaps a local landowner might allow them to run around his land, after all it is quite big enough for the numbers involved.
Gazzetta

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 01:18:18 PM »

I've just been asked to steward the event so when you are getting angry and frustrated just remember I am only doing my job.
Dragonman

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 02:24:43 PM »

There was a time when a Maidenhead Running Club use to use a network of footpaths for their races. Of course this was in the day when the lowly 'PLIMSOLE' was the favoured footwear! Now of course it is not advisable as it would damage today's exotic and high priced footwear, then of course it may hurt the runners poor little tootsies!!!!
Sutton

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 03:14:01 PM »

Paris said:
(And yes, I have voiced and written of my annoyance to Purple Patch - all I got was a condescending 'we'll try to improve access next year' in response.)

Paris, if they assured you they would 'try' to improve access this year, please keep them up to it as we can see no improvements whatsoever - can anyone else? Be insistent that they keep to their word and that something is done for you, as these people think they can treat residents they like.

It's all about profit - and I gather from reading the feedback from disappointed runners that Purple Patch are far stingier with what they offer them in goodies than other businesses who arrange these runs. Why doesn't that surprise me.

Henley got their even bigger running race stopped a couple of years ago as they were such a nuisance and offered the town nothing, and Cookham can do the same if enough people are seriously against it. If Maidenhead is willing to put up with them, that's their choice.

Let people run if they want to take a chance against the traffic, as they have to do on runs in other places - even in towns - but they have no moral right to affect our lives or imprison us when we all have our own personal commitments and work responsibilities to get on with. Unlike the runners, not everyone has the luxury of choosing how they spend their Sunday.

As for the notice of road closure and entrapment that we received only yesterday, two and a half weeks is inadequate and unreasonable as it's far too late for most people to change personal arrangements or work rotas now. Their sheer, callous impertinence is unbelievable.

In fact, is such short notice to residents for such blatantly commercial frivolity actually legal, does anyone know? It's not as if there is anything important or any emergency involved.

Paris
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 03:39:06 PM »

Sutton - you raise an interesting point there about the notice period.  I would suspect that they leave the bare minimum so that fewer people have a chance to lodge an objection in advance of the closures.

I will indeed keep fighting this battle.  Like you and other residents who find the closures at best inconvenient and at worst, as I do, an infringement of my liberty I believe that the race should be stopped.  Even more so since your comment about the stinginess of Purple Patch and the little benefit to the borough. 

Gazetta - you may have offered to steward, that is very kind of you, but may I suggest that if you don't want to be shouted at by people who would like to access their houses, hobbies and in some cases businesses or just want to go about their normal day to day weekend lives but can't then you may like to think about 'unvolunteering'.

And before the 'mods' try to tell me off for being threatening, I am not doing so, merely pointing out that human nature being what it is there may be a certain amount of 'shoutiness'.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 03:40:48 PM by Paris » Logged
Aries

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 04:40:54 PM »

I put an entry on cookham.com some time ago about this year's Purple Patch run.  But It really is time for other parts of Maidenhead & Windsor to have their share of the delights of 3000 runners enjoying themselves running along closed public highways.

But seriously, Cookham has had multiple road closures over the past 12 months (flooding & road works) over long periods.  Give us a break for a few years please!

This year's precise route can downloaded from:

http://www.purplepatchrunning.com/images/stories/purplepatchrunning/Races/PMHM_RACEROUTE.pdf

If anybody wants to take up this issue with the Council, is is very easy to set up an online petition via the following link:

http://petitions.rbwm.gov.uk/

However, bear in mind that there were over 3000 runners last year and runners & cyclists can be very vocal in getting their own way.

For the moment - let them enjoy this year's race BUT please arrange for something different for 2015.........

« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 04:20:59 PM by Aries » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: