Cookham Discussion Board
September 22, 2018, 09:18:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
22 September 2018 - Live@the Church

25 September 2018 - Cookham Medical Centre Closed for Training - 12.30-6.30pm

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Road Closures  (Read 52860 times)
Merlin
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 01:50:12 PM »

I totally agree with Aries.

It really is time that Cookham got relief from the incessant road closures that
have been imposed on us - both naturally and courtesy of the Council through
various road works and, more irritatingly, channelling runners and cyclists through the village.

Last year it wasn't till late afternoon that the road restrictions were lifted because
of stragglers.

It's time the runners and cyclists were streamed through Maidenhead for the next few years.
RWMB councillors - take note.
Re-election takes place again in a couple of years time ...
monty

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 04:26:35 PM »

Why can't they run across the green route from Strande Lane to  Maidenhead  Huh
brillo

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2014, 04:56:54 PM »

Its only for three hours once a year,
try stopping moaning for that long or I will nominate you for the iced bucket challenge !!!
monty

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2014, 05:04:33 PM »

Is your access blocked Brillo  Huh

brillo

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2014, 05:16:52 PM »

No but three hours once a year with plenty of notice would not bother me, some of the members of this forum would moan about anything !!!
monty

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2014, 05:28:27 PM »

As Sutton pointed out we had two weeks notice and according to the notice it is 9.00 to 12.00 if there are stragglers the closure will be longer than 12.00. They get to the roads that are being closed by 8.30 if you go out you can't get back in till well after 12.00
localmum

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 05:35:19 PM »

It is one morning, once a year, with loads of notice.  Not sure why people find it such a problem to move their cars out of the closed roads (yes, mine is one of them) before 9 and park somewhere nearby if they will need to drive somewhere that Sunday morning?  

This is usually a lovely event with a really nice atmosphere and lots of local people out cheering along the route - I'll be a marshal again.  Have to say though, I was surprised the first year they ran it to see the route didn't go through Summerleaze land and the farmland around where the Green Way runs as that would be prettier - presumably the landowners were not prepared to give adequate access to make the route safe and accessible.
monty

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 05:40:37 PM »

I am glad you think two weeks is loads of notice.
parasol

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2014, 01:47:55 AM »

Personally, I enjoy not having cars racing up and down outside the house for 3 hours once a year....
localmum

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2014, 08:38:48 AM »

The race date has been available for half a year, and was assuming the route would remain the same so have had a good idea about this for a long time.  But even if I hadn't looked the race date up, two weeks is plenty of notice to work out where I would put the car if I needed to drive somewhere that morning.
Charlie

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2014, 11:37:34 AM »

I have to say I find some of the comments here incredibly self-serving, with some people who have chosen to become involved in the run behaving just like the organisers and RBWM and giving no thought or care to other people's lives and needs.

Not every one of the hundreds of people badly affected by this commercial set-up has anywhere legal and convenient to park anywhere close to their home on the closed route, or is able bodied enough to walk back and forth if they do, or is willing to get up by 8.30am on a well-earned Sunday off (why should they lose sleep or be inconvenienced?), or even has time in their busy lives to second guess what other people might be choosing to do to inconvenience them and their neighbours six months in advance. Or is willing to be imprisoned in their homes for at least half a day without even being asked if they have any objections, which is the root of what most people are complaining about. Isn't this supposed to be a free country?

Other than the handful of people who have become involved with this fiasco, Cookham has had enough. If an online petition is opened to stop this, as someone suggested, I get the feeling it will receive massive support.
The Baglady

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2014, 01:04:53 PM »

Unfortunately not all of us have the luxury of not working on a Sunday or have cars that we can move to other locations to collect later .Some have vans full of tools / stock that can't just be abandoned , un attended in another road until we need to go out. Not only that why should the residents of the roads you put your cars in be inconvenienced aswell. I'm all for people having a hobby but not when it encroaches on other people.
Bagheera

e tenebris lux

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2014, 06:26:34 PM »

just remember I am only doing my job.
That was the excuse of members of the SS. Like them, you have volunteered to do that job.

I am not for a moment suggesting you are a Nazi, simply pointing out that your reasoning is flawed.
anna_banana

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2014, 07:34:15 PM »

Wow Bagheera.

You might need to rethink that badly thought out post.
cookhamite

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2014, 08:08:36 PM »

Here here Brillo, it's abit tiresome to see the same people complaining about the road closure as they did last year. How great it is that the run wants to come through our lovely village once again and I can't believe that anyone can consider that they are "inconvenienced" for a few hours ONCE a year, and all in aid of charity. Hope the runners get a good turn out this year, good weather and Welcome to Cookham.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: