Cookham Discussion Board
September 22, 2018, 09:19:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
22 September 2018 - Live@the Church

25 September 2018 - Cookham Medical Centre Closed for Training - 12.30-6.30pm

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Bridleway 19  (Read 51246 times)
Cervantes

« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2015, 10:13:25 AM »

I would imagine right of way and priority are slightly different as even on a public highway pedestrians always have priority. So even on a bridle/cycle way, bikes and horses must make way for walkers. In practise this is usually based on the circumstances but it seems like common sense.
jumpingjackflash
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2015, 10:26:10 AM »

So.......

What was the outcome of the meeting last night? Did RBWM, Councillors, Cookham Society support the Riders.... OR did the land owner get his way?

Does anyone know... or are we still pending an outcome?

Paris
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2015, 03:34:33 PM »

OK, so priority wasn't perhaps the most appropriate word, but it would be reasonable don't you think that a bridleway should have a surface suitable for use by horses, in walk, trot, canter and even gallop, rather than being restricted to a slow walk and then at possible risk of injury which is all that re-surfacing may possibly permit?
wannabe
Administrator

« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2015, 03:44:55 PM »

Wannabe, one of my posts points out the priority which is based on having a little knowledge about who can use which rights of way, i.e. footpaths for people, bridleways for horses and riders and cycle tracks for cyclists.

Little knowledge I think.
Paris
« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2015, 04:08:36 PM »

Thanks for that rude post Wannabe, a very welcome addition to the discussion.
Cervantes

« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2015, 08:00:38 PM »

Yes Paris I agree. Horses and the needs of the riders should be the primary concern for any redesign of the track. Not that it needs redesigning but if it will be done at least make it work. The reason for my posted pics of the design principle. 8m wide, tyre tracks of hard surface and big gap in the middle and either side to allow horses a soft surface. In fact the perfect surface would have sand in the gaps between the tyres but it would require a lot of maintenance.
Dragonman

« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2015, 10:56:36 PM »

Official ruling is as follows:
Bridleway as with footpaths the bridleways (as shown in the legend above) are legally protected routes that the public can use on foot or on horseback. Cyclists are permitted to use the bridleways although through the Countryside Act 1968 there is no obligation to facilitate the cyclists on the routes and they must give way to other users. Bridleways are usually sign posted with blue arrows.
So unless the farmer returns to horse driven equipment, he can't use it for tractor powered equipment. Even pedestrians and cyclist have to give way to horse traffic.
jumpingjackflash
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2015, 08:35:24 AM »

Morning.

No point with continuing the 'discussions' regarding the bridleway. The Land Owner got his own way with the support of the Cllrs and the Highways Officer (''driveway'' maintained by the council tax payers!).

Forgone conclusion.

I hear that one of the Cllr's kept referring to the surface being 'Lime Scale'....and IF it was 'safe' for horses to break out of a walk as the bridle path is  used by pedestrians (mothers and prams, dog walkers, mobility scooters, cars, tractors and cyclists)- SO what hope would riders have, when you have a numpty like that sitting around the table!

I assume the Cllrs are just 'perhaps' being neighbourly..... and the 'DEANO's' wish to be included on the 20 year future plan of being joined with Maidenhead... Wink

I wonder if there will be a ''Twinned with'' -Sign in the future? Roll Eyes

AS for us riders......we get ANOTHER BRIDLE PATH to WALK up.....  'oh' joy'.....

Shame on you Cllrs !
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 09:57:19 AM by jumpingjackflash » Logged
wannabe
Administrator

« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2015, 09:42:15 AM »

Thanks for that rude post Wannabe, a very welcome addition to the discussion.
ruder than I meant.
Cervantes

« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2015, 10:21:07 AM »

Anyone know the names of the main councillors supporting the change?
Paris
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2015, 10:38:23 AM »

I know I've probably said this before, but the inadequacies of our council (note the little c) really do beggar belief.  I find it totally bewildering that they could possibly have passed this proposal as acceptable and will be writing to Mr Hurst again.  The fight may be over, but there's no reason to let them lead a comfy dream filled life when their idiotic decisions are to the detriment of the electorate.

Wannabe - if your post was even part way towards an apology - then it is accepted, we all occasionally type things that come out stronger that we meant; and I do hope that you don't think me rude for not putting that ahead of my comment about our council.
wannabe
Administrator

« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2015, 01:01:41 PM »

Not at all. For the record I think the surface should be suitable for all users. Especially those with no choice in the matter. I suppose we will have to see how it turns out. I had to deal with motor cycles, bikes and walkers on a footpath yesterday, there are some real idiots about. Angry
jumpingjackflash
« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2015, 03:18:13 PM »

For the record....

When some one says 'Bridleway'... the  thought that comes to mind  is.....'Country-Side' - this being green... grass, mud, trees. NOT someone having a ''driveway'' maintained by tax-payers.

The next thing that will be installed will be a 'cattle-grid'!

And then....

''Twinned-With...'' Signage....

Paris
« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2015, 03:28:52 PM »

Not at all. For the record I think the surface should be suitable for all users. Especially those with no choice in the matter. I suppose we will have to see how it turns out. I had to deal with motor cycles, bikes and walkers on a footpath yesterday, there are some real idiots about. Angry

It wasn't the cycle path that runs from Lightlands Lane to Maidenhead North Town was it?  For some reason that one seems to attract idiots on motorbikes.  Although the problem doesn't seem quite as bad as it was when they could also get away with licence free fishing.
wannabe
Administrator

« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2015, 05:19:59 PM »

No it was in an adjoining County. Don't see many motor cycles in Lightlands lane. Just hear them blasting down Maidenhead Road.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  

Jump to: