Cookham Discussion Board
December 09, 2018, 11:00:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
9 December 2018 - Rendezvous - Hand Knitted Garment Sale

10 December 2018 - The Media Hub - Tim Brooke-Taylor OBE

11 December 2018 - Cookham Surgery Closed for Training 12.30pm onwards

13 December 2018 -  WilldCookham Christmas Catch Up - FREE

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Road Layout off Maidenhead Road  (Read 5343 times)
Pongo

« on: April 20, 2008, 07:02:04 PM »

Whoever designed the new road layout off the Maidenhead Road down the road towards the cemetery seems to be hell bent on causing an accident. Because the corner has been blocked off it now means that you have to bear left immediately on turning into the road, I am sure there will be an accident sooner or later. Why on earth was money spent on just filling in a bit of road anyway?
BT
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 10:03:06 AM »

As posted to you before it was done to stop people flying round the corner when they turn left under the bridge into Maidenhead Road.  Whether it works or not is a different story as people are still doing it.  Half the cars that come round the bend are on the wrong side of the road and are likely to hit one of the cars coming towards them.  Idealy it needed speed bumps putting in to slow people down.
CH

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 10:36:00 AM »

I've never really understood why that stretch of road has a 50mph limit.  It seems a bit high for such a twisty turny bit of road. 

I don't envy people who live at those cottages half way down - it must be a nightmare trying to get out of their drives.
Jones
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 11:45:49 AM »

Yes isn't it extraordinary having a 50mph limit here. In an age where they are talking about cutting us down to even 20mph in built up areas, here one can career along that windy road at 50mph. I've tried to see if I can even safely go that fast there and at 35mph I started feeling unsafe.  Hooolies will love it as a race track but yes, people living there or any person trying to walk along there would be in real danger. I'd never cycle it either.
NE
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 03:15:46 PM »

It seems to me that if you are a local and used to going round that bend then that is enough to slow you down and it should be OK.  However if you are not familiar with it, it is almost certain you will be forced onto the other side of the road and yes, an accident is going to happen very soon.
As for the comment about walking and cycling down that road, why would you do that when there is a, purpose built and much safer, cycle path on the Switchback??

Pongo

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 05:29:58 PM »

If a lorry goes round the corner I think it could be really dangerous. I cannot believe that anyone could design such a bad corner. Have there been a lot of accidents there in the past for the Council to have taken it into their heads to change it. BT says people were going round the corner fast, but that must be true in a lot of places.
NE
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 08:26:57 AM »

Drove past this morning at about 7:50am.  Looks like the milkman hadn't been reading this posting.  Smashed bottles all over the place!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: