Cookham Discussion Board
August 19, 2018, 07:31:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
18 August 2018 - National Trust Bat Walk

23 August 2018 - Cookham - Flood Response Training

27 August 2018 - Garden Open - St Timothee, Maidenhead

1 September 2018 - Cookham Regatta

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Unfortunately the postal delivery problems are still with us  (Read 2271 times)
aj

« on: August 01, 2015, 08:47:23 PM »

Went to check the balance on my debit card (fortunately a backup account, not my main one) and the machine swallowed the card because it had expired. Hmm. Why did I not get a replacement?. Ring bank. Mail returned to sender. Hence stop placed on card delivery. And of course the address details they hold are accurate - as previously, only the problem occurred before with a number of other financial institutions.

We've been here before of course but it looks like the problem is back, at least in the Lower Rd area. As I have mentioned previously, there do seem only two plausible explanations.
(a) laziness/incompetence on the part of delivery staff - but then, why bother marking the mail 'return to sender' when you can just quietly dump it in the rubbish?
(b) Fraud. The idea here is simple. A number of banks, when a card is reissued, also insist on sending a fresh PIN number by separate mail. Yes, this is stupid, but they have a policy that a lost card also compromises the PIN. So... start by having a feel of the envelopes. Cards?. Then return them to sender - easy enough, just pop the envelope in the nearest mailbox. Note the address. Now wait for any further deliveries and intercept the PIN and the card. Bingo!.

This problem has been going on in this area for literally years and it has caused tremendous inconvenience. Luckily -so far - I have not suffered any financial loss (but this is possibly because I haven't had any PIN numbers mailed out recently) - but I am wondering -has anyone else had problems recently with undelivered mail especially bank correspondence and has there subsequently been any fraudulent activity on any account?. I appreciate that I have absolutely no evidence to support the assertion of fraud but I simply cannot explain why a delivery person would deliberately mark mail 'return to sender' and then put it back into the postal system, when obviously the address is completely correct. Only bank correspondence ever seems to be affected as well, so frankly I think I have every right to be suspicious.
seasider

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 08:13:39 AM »

Last week my daughter tried to order foreign currency through her bank to collect at a local branch. The system "could not process her request". When she called them to query it, they said it was because mail had been returned to them from our address so her card had been put on hold. She's not lost any money out of her account yet though.
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 08:40:46 PM »

Maybe I still am very old fashioned when it comes to banking. Any invoices that I receive, either by snail mail or e-mail I always take them into my bank and they process the payment and I get a bank stamp on the paid invoice. If I order say New Zealand dollars, The bank quotes me a price and I can pick up the currency in about four working days. Maybe I'm fussy, but I know it is secure!
CH

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 11:15:52 AM »

Make sure you report it to them.  Last year when it happened I reported it and they said they'd put the complaint through to the local sorting office.  This year when it happened again they said that this time they would put the complaint through.  Turns out that last time they didn't as they thought it was a one-off (!) and so it's worth reporting whenever these things happen so that when it's a real problem they take it seriously (I hope). 

At least this time I got a letter of apology but nothing to explain why it had happened.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: