Cookham Discussion Board
June 20, 2018, 12:27:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
19 June 2018 - Medical Detection Dogs

19 June 2018 - Part 1 Speak Out

21 June 2018 - Baroque Ensemble Red Priest

21 June 2018 - Open Minds - The Teenagers Debating Group

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Maidenhead Half Marathon  (Read 21622 times)
Cookham Webmaster
Administrator

« on: August 23, 2015, 03:17:26 PM »

Just a reminder that the Maidenhead Half Marathon will take place on 6 September and some roads in Cookham will be affected.

http://www.purplepatchrunning.com/images/Schedule1-6.pdf
Paris
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 01:52:31 PM »

As if we hadn't noticed that our civil liberty is once again to be restricted by those on our self-serving council who wish Maidenhead to have a 5K run.  I've said it before and I'll say it again - if it is a Maidenhead event, keep it in Maidenhead and let the rest of us go about our normal business.
Watchman

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 02:33:07 PM »

Ah, yes!

The MAIDENHEAD Half Marathon .... designed and designated to disrupt the residents of COOKHAM ...

(not Bray, not Holyport, not Braywick, not Fifield, not White Waltham, not Shoppenhangers, not Altwood, not Pinkneys Green...
BUT Cookham.)

But of course ... the residents of Cookham won't mind a 3 hour disruption to their lives ...
no more than Holyport, Bray, Braywick, White Waltham, Shoppenhangers, Pinkneys Green or Altwood residents would on theirs ...

Not bloody likely ...

I wonder if our so-called Cookham CONSERVATIVE councillors had any say in this matter?

Infuriating .... but hey, no problems ... smile .... the cyclists will be through here any week now!!

Oh wait ... they're through here just about every day!!
EUWAVE

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 10:12:34 AM »

Good god it took almost 24 hours for the tirade to begin, I am amazed. I said it last year and I will say it again this year if you donít like it then do something about it, donít just sit in front of your computer and moan about it every time in comes around. Nobody is going to take notice of your posts, you actually have to become pro-active, if you feel so strongly about get a petition together to get it re-route it next year.
Paris
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 10:57:10 AM »

EUWAVE - and how do you know I've not tried to do anything about it?  Please don't make sweeping assumptions like that.  I don't publish every piece of personal correspondence on here and I don't make my filing cabinet publicly available, as I'm sure you don't either.
Bob

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 12:59:43 PM »

I have objected and asked the council for it to be re-routed, but my letter did not even elicit the courtesy of a response.

If other residents objecting have also had their messages of protest rudely ignored by the RBWM, the council leaves individuals no alternative but to make Cookham's opposition known publicly on the day.
windymiller

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 01:24:35 PM »

It's not Cookham's opposition, Bob; it's your opposition (and a number of other individuals).  You don't speak for the whole of Cookham.  I am affected by the road closures too, but I have no objection to the race coming through Cookham.
Watchman

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 02:28:20 PM »

I too registered my objections to the Council.
Was met with  "Harrumph ... errrr ... what .... errrr, okay thanks".

That's the Tory attitude for you ... leave things be as they are ... pass the port.

Paris
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 02:31:32 PM »

It's not Cookham's opposition, Bob; it's your opposition (and a number of other individuals).  You don't speak for the whole of Cookham.  I am affected by the road closures too, but I have no objection to the race coming through Cookham.

That's fine that you have no objections.  Each person is after all allowed their own opinions.  However, it would appear that the council are just not willing to acknowledge that not everyone is happy and that is just not acceptable.
cookhamite

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 09:13:50 PM »

Yawn.......all the same moaning as last year for an annual event that gives pleasure to hundreds of runners and spectators and raises lots of money for charity. Welcome to all to our beautiful village.
Watchman

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 09:52:22 AM »

Presumably cookhamite does not drive a car!
And presumably the "lots of money for charity" can be proven?!

Nor does he/she offer an explanation as to why other districts that are dotted around Maidenhead
are overlooked when the planners (whom presumably do not do this just for "love") are planning the course!

It is after all, called the MAIDENHEAD HALF MARATHON - not the Maidenhead/Cookham Half marathon).

Paris
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 12:47:57 PM »

I just fail to see why we have to be the route every year for a Maidenhead event.  Why does the route have to stay the same?  It wouldn't even be so bad if they'd taken into account that the main roads they use often have junctions with cul de sacs that mean the residents are stuck at home for the duration.  Or in my case, prevented from doing the very thing that gives me pleasure, how come other people get priority?  Don't get me started on the charity thing - like with Rock the Moor, the organisers have in past appeared more than slightly cagey about their accounts and I don't suppose RBWM are likely to reveal details either.
Gazzetta

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 03:24:26 PM »

The only real problem is the fact the route is 2 laps between Maidenhead and Cookham.   This means that the roads cannot be re-opened after the back markers have passed through because they have to do their second lap.
Paris
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 05:24:06 PM »

V. true Gazetta.  Another good point in favour of routing it somewhere where laps are not required and where the roads could therefore re-open quicker.

Either that or speed the back markers up somehow, perhaps follow them with one of those big-foot monster trucks and steadily increase it's speed?
Paris
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 05:26:29 PM »

The only real problem is the fact the route is 2 laps between Maidenhead and Cookham.   This means that the roads cannot be re-opened after the back markers have passed through because they have to do their second lap.

So why not choose a route where laps are not required?  Then whoever the poor people are who are suffering the road closure would be able to go about their business with less restriction.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: