Cookham Discussion Board
December 14, 2018, 02:03:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
10 December 2018 - The Media Hub - Tim Brooke-Taylor OBE

11 December 2018 - Cookham Surgery Closed for Training 12.30pm onwards

13 December 2018 -  WilldCookham Christmas Catch Up - FREE

13 December 2018 - Cookham Book Club

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Maidenhead Half Marathon  (Read 26275 times)
Dragonman

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 07:32:26 PM »

Every year we get this "Tilting of Windmills." Who is getting the kickback?
Watchman

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 08:57:42 PM »

Perhaps if Purple Patch were to openly publish their accounts for this half-marathon,
indicating  just how much they have inked in for charity ... the public might be a tad
more amenable and understanding.

The word "charity" evokes all sorts of mixed emotions from the populace ... hence
the call for publication of accounts showing the allocation of the income.

It is the closet protection of organiser's accounts that worries me.
Gazzetta

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2015, 11:58:16 AM »

On the plus side I am being paid by the hour.
Watchman

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2015, 12:35:22 PM »

Blimey - you get around, don't you!
How much?
Forty quid an hour?
Perhaps this is where the "charitable" profits go to!!
 Grin
Ellie

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2015, 02:20:32 PM »

Last year, Purple Patch were invited on this website to show just how charitable they are. After abusing Cookham residents' free access and OUR lovely village for their own ends for so long, they were offered the chance to give something back to Cookham to the tune of £2,000 pa by way of a donation to one of our main three charities (The Cookham Society, the Stanley Spencer Gallery and Elizabeth House were suggested). The sum is a pittance - yet, as a couple of people commented, after all Purple Patch's self-promoting prior communications on the thread, suddenly the silence was deafening.

I think that tells us all we need to know about the impertinent, insensitive greed and motives of this company. They are indebted to Cookham for their vast profits and, if they had any integrity whatsoever, would not have hesitated to honour that debt when offered the opportunity.
Watchman

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2015, 03:56:12 PM »

I'd forgotten about the incident mentioned above.
Well done for raising it again.
I wonder if PurplePatch would be amenable to comment?

I do remember the deafening silence from the "benevolent" Purple Patch on their
"still to be offered, let alone collected" contribution to Cookham's charities.
Short hands, deep pockets.

However, let's be thankful for small mercies.

At least PurplePatch will be paying Gazetta a handsome daily wage for his efforts at
waving runners through and across empty roads - and the roads will have been empty, why?
Because they will have been closed to all traffic on PurplePatch's deeming it so.

Funny that!
Gazzetta

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2015, 06:38:35 PM »

I don't need a handsome salary, I'm already handsome enough
Magpie

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2015, 09:00:13 PM »

I think you are confusing your events!

The half marathon raises funds for charity by runners being sponsored.

Rock the Moor donates the profits from the event to 3 local charities.

Whilst this is a commercial event, Purple Patch will not make much at all from any single event. Anyone who runs a sports events company of this nature does it very much as a labour of love and love of their sport.

The event is very well run, well regarded by both the running community and the vast number of local residents. Long may it continue gracing cookham with its presence.
EUWAVE

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2015, 02:53:10 PM »

Every year we get the same complaints from the same people. Why is Cookham being picked on, it is the Maidenhead Half Marathon so run it in Maidenhead, take it somewhere else say Holyport for instance. The race is designed to upset the residents of Cookham.

Well here are some facts, the race is 13 miles in length of which 1.9 miles effects the village. The bulk of the race actually takes place in Maidenhead, see the link below. Watchman may I suggest you check your facts, for your information the race does go via Braywick and also straight through the heart of Bray an even smaller village than Cookham, and it actually closes the High Street which does not occur in Cookham. Yet I do not hear the residents of Bray protesting about it, rather they embrace it as a local event.

All over the country roads are shut for one event or another, London Marathon for instance, if everyone adopted the same views of some of the people on this string then we would not have the London Marathon.

We are talking about 3 hours, this equates to less than 0.05% of a year once a year, live with it, and yes it does affect me before someone asks the question.

http://www.goodrunguide.co.uk/RouteMap/MyRoutes/215083
cookhamite

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2015, 03:35:47 PM »

Thank you Euwave for putting some sensibility on to this. Unfortunately A few Cookham residents like to moan about anything and everything but they will always be the minority. As you say it is a great event that most of us welcome to the village, along with all the cyclists and other races that choose to share our beautiful area.
I am a car driver, have visitors next weekend and an event to go to on Sunday. To say we will be inconvenienced is not even true, we plan for the event, enjoy it and get on with the rest of the day. To live in a village is to embrace all the events that are part of it and luckily this one is now part of the annual calendar.
Gazzetta

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2015, 05:31:08 PM »

That must be a new route for 2015 and certainly better for Cookham.
EUWAVE

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2015, 06:23:59 PM »

Sorry Gazzeta but it is the same route as it has always been no changes for 2015. I am guessing it was chosen because A] it is flat as it tracks close to the Thames and B] as far as possible it stays away from main roads.

Cookhamite you hit the nail right on the head, we know it is coming once a year so plan to be inconvenienced, and after all that is all it is and inconvenience, for 3 hours once a year.

I have just been watching the Notting Hill Carnival on the news, the roads around there are partially shut for 4 days, one day build up one day take down, and totally shut for 2 days. This event is now the second largest carnival event in the world, Rio being number one, yet we have people bemoaning a 1.9 mile road closure for 3 hours!
Watchman

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2015, 08:30:48 PM »

Are you comparing the Notting Hill Carnival to the Maidenhead half marathon EUWAVE?!!
Wait one second whilst I pick myself off the floor ... Grin Grin

Quid pro quo, I presume then that the Maidenhead Half marathon is therefore
ranked 134,321st half marathon event in the world, as such, I certainly do
object to 1.9 miles of public highway in and around Cookham being
disrupted by an event known as "The MAIDENHEAD Marathon".

I'm sure there are 13 miles of public highways in and around the town of
Maidenhead - all flat - perhaps Purple Patch can reach out into Slough and possibly Windsor!
But hey, would those residents of Slough and Windsor tolerate a bunch of runners
having their highways closed for 3 hours?

Errr ... no prizes for the answer folks!

So, because Cookham puts up the least resistance, let's hit Cookham for 3 hours!
QED.
Cute!
localmum

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2015, 09:56:45 PM »

It went through Bray in the first year but not since.

I'm looking forward to it as usual.
EUWAVE

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2015, 09:11:20 AM »

My point about the likes of The London Marathon and Notting Hill Carnival is not one of size but the fact that tens of thousands of people are effected every year by events big and small. If everyone took your stance then let’s cancel all forms of outside entertainment to please the few.

Let’s take next Sunday as an example, as far as I recall Church Road in Cookham Dean is to be closed for up to 6 hours for the Gravity Grand Prie, twice as long as for the half Marathon. May I remind you the rates you pay are to the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead, and not to Cookham, and as over 85% of the race does actually take place in Maidenhead why not call it the Maidenhead Half Marathon. We live in a community not in an isolated ward, 3 hours of disruption, I suggest you take a leaf out of Cookhamite’s book and plan for it, and let the vast majority get on and enjoy it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: