Cookham Discussion Board
September 20, 2018, 10:20:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
20 September 2018 - The Boxford Mosaic

20 September 2018 - Cookham Book Club

22 September 2018 - Live@the Church

25 September 2018 - Cookham Medical Centre Closed for Training - 12.30-6.30pm

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Maidenhead Half Marathon  (Read 23688 times)
cookhamite

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2015, 09:39:45 AM »

Nothing more to be said other than there will always be a small minority who want to spend their time moaning about everything and anything - evidenced many times on the blog. That won't change but the rest of us can get on and channel our energy into enjoying every event that comes to the village, never an inconvenience just a case of planning and enjoying.
cookhamite

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2015, 09:58:30 AM »

PS. Shall we ask the organisers to change the name of the race to the Maidenhead/Bray/Cookham half marathon and then everyone will be happy 😀
Watchman

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2015, 10:27:59 AM »

I suggest you take a leaf out of Cookhamite’s book and plan for it, and let the vast majority get on and enjoy it.
Define "vast majority" !
In who's opinion?!

Cookham village has approximately 700 residents.
I would strongly suggest that no more than 100 turn out to "cheer" on the running strangers,
less so if it were raining. That's around 14 percent on a good day!

But hey, if "vast majority" is your appropriated catch-phrase, then good luck to you!

I do, however, like cookhamites idea of renaming the gig the Maidenhead/Cookham/Bray Half Marathon.
Has more of a truer ring to it!

PS
By the way, The Gravity Grand Prix attracts a helluva lot more spectators than the half marathon does
and the residents of the Dean look forward to the road closures to allow this event to take place!
Fact.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 11:27:57 AM by Watchman » Logged
EUWAVE

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2015, 07:16:17 PM »

Watchman your last post shows your naivety, you quote that the residency of Cookham is approximately 700 people. At first I thought let’s give Watchman the benefit of the doubt, maybe you meant to add one more zero to the 700 figure, slip of the digit whilst typing, I do it all the time.

Then I did a quick sanity check and you state that in your opinion only a hundred or so of the spectators are from Cookham, hence your 14% calculation. Well the math’s calculation of 100 to 700 does work out to roughly 14%, so I guess you put some effort into getting to these numbers. So it was not a slip of the finger you meant 700!

Well here is the kicker, and I take the following quote directly from an Article in the Daily Telegraph in 2011, see below.

“Cookham is a village and civil parish in the north-easternmost corner of Berkshire in England, on the River Thames, notable as the home of the artist Stanley Spencer. It is 2 miles (3 km) north of Maidenhead close to the boundary with Buckinghamshire . It has a population of 5,519.”

Note the population figure which I am sure is greater than that today.

Whoops you seem to have dropped the ball big time here, so if you can get the number of people who live in Cookham so vastly wrong by almost a factor of 9 to 1, I suspect all of your other facts may be based on the same un-sound ground.

Wake up if you and all the other “700” residents don’t like the Marathon then I guess based on your figures of 700 and on the actual figures there is over 4,500 who do not object to this event, would you not call that a vast majority ?
monty

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2015, 07:30:43 PM »

Well I won't be there cheering on  Huh
Watchman

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2015, 08:38:34 PM »

EUWAVE - check out my post.

Cookham VILLAGE ... I repeat, Village  (I am given to understand on very good authority)...
has a population of around 700 ...

The Cookhams - taken as a whole, I don't doubt, have 5,500 inhabitants, (per your Telegraph copy) but hey, let's be
straight here ... which of the Cookhams is most affected?

The Dean ?  In no way whatsoever.
The Rise ? Yeah sure, but only a wee bit, on the peripheral of the Maidenhead Road.

So the most affected part of the Cookhams is the Village itself.
Right?

Do you follow me?
Or am I going too fast for you?

So... having ascertained that I haven't "dropped" the so called ball, as you try so very hard to
erroneously put it, my calculation of 14 to 15 percent of the population of the worst affected
(not effected, by the way) section of the Cookhams is the correct assumption.

Are you still with me?
Or are you now going off to collect some more un-corroborated mumbo jumbo to endeavour tearing
more holes in my perfectly presented argument?!

So again I ask you .... define "majority" !!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 09:15:14 PM by Watchman » Logged
EUWAVE

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2015, 07:02:53 PM »

So you are saying the disruption you are bothered about is specifically to “Cookham Village” which I am guessing from your definition is where the race swings off Sutton Road on to School Lane then on through the Pound and then left onto the Maidenhead Road, as Cookham Rise effectively starts at the roundabout in front of where the Gate Pub used to be?

This stretch you refer to is according to Google maps 0.6 miles in length, out of a 13.1 mile race. Your emphasis is on “Cookham Village” and from what I can see unless you live on School Lane or on the Pound, or the two small dead ends off the Pound and the bit where the Institute of Marketing is there are still options to get in and out of “Cookham Village”

The High Street is open, Terry’s Lane is open and I am guessing by looking at the route residents in Berries lane will be able to get out by turning left into the High Street. Bearing all of this in mind I think your figure of 700 is somewhat high, let’s say by 50%? So 350 people are inconvenienced for 3 hours. The operative word here is inconvenienced. Over 2000 runners will take part and most of them are running for charity.

Magpie is correct it is not Purple Patch who is raising money for charity it is the runners, hence no reason to see PP’s accounts. Most Marathons work this model. To enter the London Marathon without an invitation you have to agree and prove you are raising £2000 for charity, I know this is correct because my son tapped me up when he ran it 5 years ago.

One final point, of your 700 residents directly affected? I can only see a maximum of 5 complaints on this string about this race, so less than 1%, imagine what this country would be like if a vote of less than 1% could affect elections, strikes, etc etc.
monty

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2015, 07:28:09 PM »

I think people have given up complaining because it falls on deaf ears  Roll Eyes
Watchman

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2015, 08:58:59 PM »

Precisely monty!

EUWAVE reminds me of the Maidenhead Advertiser who have online straw polls
which, through predominantly online (internet) users, sways their opinion by quoting
"massive" or minimal" swings in a direction they support or choose ... forgetting the vast majority who
a) just don't bother voting because of "deaf ears" and b) don't use or indeed, don't have any access to the internet.

EUWAVE - let's consider how this affects Cookham Village shall we ...
The entire length of Sutton Road - closed.
The entire length of the Moor Road/Pound/Maidenhead Road - closed.
The entire length of School Lane  - closed.

Thus, the sole village outlet for village drivers is across Cookham Bridge, through Bourne End and beyond.
So, if you want to access the A4 or Maidenhead ... tough ... you HAVE TO undertake a 7 mile detour!
Geddit now ??!  I would hope so, as I wouldn't wish to overburden your over taxed brain.

Let's just leave it at that shall we ... I'm now bored with your  "more than" and "less than" 1 percents,
and the 0.6 miles of a 13 mile race, blah, blah, blah ... like I really care.

My freedom of access to roads (albeit for 3 hours) for which I pay taxes and dues, like many others who sadly shrug their shoulders
and, like monty, feel that complaints "fall on deaf ears" .... and through no fault of ours (but solely for the pleasure of random runners and
the organisation which profits from the deal) we find that we are denied such access to said roads.

Do you get my drift despite your harping on and on with mumbo jumbo which detracts from the specific problem.

Like I said - let's just leave it now.
Perhaps a stronger petition to the RBWM for next year might, just might, see a change of heart and a change of route.

Magpie

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2015, 10:15:37 PM »

You say that the complaints about this event fall on deaf ears but maybe they are disregarded as having no merit.

As has been pointed out on numerous occasions this event is professionally organised with full adherence to all event planning guidelines as governed by RBWM. The road closures are deemed necessary for a safe and enjoyable event and are kept to a minimum and well managed by Purple Patch. A few hours of minimal inconvenience on one Sunday morning once per year is clearly not considered excessive grounds for your complaints to be upheld.
brillo

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2015, 09:46:59 AM »

Complaining about everything seems to have become a life choice for some !!!
Gazzetta

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2015, 12:52:37 PM »

Maybe I am a little naive.  The  runners will hit Cookham at the 9 mile mark.  The elite runners, assuming a 9.30 start should arrive about 10.20 so I would expect road closures to kick in around 10.15am.   The roads will reopen as soon as the last runner has passed through.  Based on my running speed I would expect that to be around 11.30am.   Is that such a great inconvenience ?
EUWAVE

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2015, 04:21:56 PM »

Inconvenience is the correct word, Brillo and Magpie I go along with your thoughts.

Watchman “Cookham Village”  starts at Sutton close and as you concern is solely to do with “Cookham Village” the entire length of this road being closed is irrelevant.

The entire length of the Moor Road/Pound/Maidenhead Road – For your information the Maidenhead road is actually not in “Cookham Village” it is in Cookham Rise so it should be of no interest to you as it is outside of “Cookham Village”

Why are you going via Bourne End to get to the A4, go out through Hedsor, down past Cliveden and you are on the A4 in about 13 mins
So all of your protestations are to do with the fact you are going to be inconvenienced by and extra 8 minute drive.
“Geddit now” – 2000 people raising money for charity, people having fun, means you have to drive for an extra 8 minutes to get to the A4 -

« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 04:24:00 PM by wannabe » Logged
localmum

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2015, 09:47:37 PM »

Maybe I am a little naive.  The  runners will hit Cookham at the 9 mile mark.  The elite runners, assuming a 9.30 start should arrive about 10.20 so I would expect road closures to kick in around 10.15am.   The roads will reopen as soon as the last runner has passed through.  Based on my running speed I would expect that to be around 11.30am.   Is that such a great inconvenience ?

No, they arrive much earlier than that, my marshal point as they leave Cookham is almost mile 5 and mile 11 and I'll have runners passing me from about 10:15 until at least 12;30. It *is* an inconvenience, but to a small number of people for a few hours, once a year, with enough notice to make alternative plans.
Gazzetta

« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2015, 05:42:28 AM »

No, they arrive much earlier than that, my marshal point as they leave Cookham is almost mile 5 and mile 11 and I'll have runners passing me from about 10:15 until at least 12;30. It *is* an inconvenience, but to a small number of people for a few hours, once a year, with enough notice to make alternative plans.

I think you need to check the route as this year it is different from 2014.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: