Cookham Discussion Board
September 23, 2018, 04:30:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
22 September 2018 - Live@the Church

25 September 2018 - Cookham Medical Centre Closed for Training - 12.30-6.30pm

27 September 2018 - Return of the Vaughan at the Cricket Club

3 October 2018 - Oxfam Coffee Morning with Claire Tomlin

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: Chicken Farm Planning Application Strande Lane  (Read 82614 times)
Pongo

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 06:25:25 PM »

I think you will find that Tom Copas' turkeys are a lot closer to residential properties than the planned chicken farm. That is also true of the chicken farm in Cookham Dean.
monty

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 07:24:25 PM »

We had leaflets regarding the meeting today distributed at Strande Park but only certain properties received the information. what does that tell you. There are 81 properties down here and only about 5% received the information. I think these will be battery chickens which I think is cruel. Also Lightlands Lane is not very wide big lorries with chickens being delivered is not a good idea, plus the fact it is in a flood plain, are we going to have hundreds of drowned chickens if we get flooded like last year.
Which company is behind this does anyone know. It will also devalue properties in Bass Mead and Strande Park. Some people will say that is not as important as a chicken farm.
Pongo

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2015, 08:13:53 PM »

Battery chickens were banned in UK in 2012. I think they may have been banned throughout the EU at that time.
Watchman

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 08:52:21 PM »

Is there any possibility of bird flu, especially with the farm being so close to residential properties?
Or is bird flu a thing of the past?
Pongo

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 09:19:38 PM »

To date no human being has contracted bird flu in UK. I don't think it is something people should be particularly worried about.
monty

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2015, 09:25:54 PM »

Bird flu we are not worried about it is about having a chicken farm with all the noise and smell it would make on our door step. 
we will fight this. You all may think this is funny re a chicken farm but all of us facing this problem it is not a joke.
Paris
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2015, 09:53:13 AM »

I don't think it is funny at all.  Quite the opposite and have written to RBWM on the subject, I urge anyone else who has an interest to do the same.

It escapes me know who it was wrote about the turkeys - it is completely different in set up to the turkeys a) they won't need to be able to swim like the chickens will, b) they free range over a much larger area, the stocking density is much more appropriate for the amount of land in the case of the turkeys, c) the turkeys are part of a well run operation, whereas this one is more than a little heath robinson.  To explain that last, having now read the documents, there is no provision mentioned for what happens in a flood event, there is no mention of clearing of fallen stock, there is no mention of septic tank for the 'log cabin', the application itself is titled apparently for just one building when there are quite clearly more than one being applied for, the main onus seems to be on obtaining permission for the 'dwelling' all of which makes me think that perhaps there is more to this than meets the eye.  Quite apart from which, there is also a downright falsehood when the applicant states he installed the kissing gate in the corner of the field - that has been there for years, if the truth is being stretched on such a basic item, can we really take any of the rest of it with more than a pinch of salt?  I can't quite believe either that one person is going to manage all the work that is required totally by him/her self, so what next more accommodation for workers?  Washrooms, toilets and car park for all the public who may want to visit the 'rare breeds'?  And how about the lane itself?  It barely stands up for the use it gets at present, without more cars up and down with people going to buy eggs, and will the entrance to Lightlands be made even more hazardous than it already it by signage (not mentioned either) informing people about the farm and where to get their eggs?
monty

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2015, 02:02:58 PM »

I noticed today a sort of wooden shed in the field, halfway down Strande Lane. I have not seen it before and it might be something to do with the horses, but just seems a bit strange.
Ellie

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2015, 02:38:57 PM »

Paris has echoed my initial thoughts in that there is probably more to this than meets the eye. This year an application for a dwelling on a chicken farm, next year a housing estate, all carefully planned in the hope that local residents will find it more acceptable than the chickens.

Can't help getting a feeling of déjà vu here. Where have we heard it all before? 

Or am I being unfairly cynical?   Undecided
monty

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2015, 03:32:40 PM »

Not at all Ellie, I feel there is something odd here, even with this supposed planning application.
Paris
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2015, 04:10:35 PM »

As I understand it, that shed was supposed to be removed as planning should have been granted for it, owing to it being in the flood plain and a hard standing having been put down beneath it - I don't know how correct that is, but if so then there is definitely something funny going on.
Paris
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2015, 04:11:24 PM »

Battery chickens were banned in UK in 2012. I think they may have been banned throughout the EU at that time.

It's going to be kind of free range, cooped up at night and out during the day.
smokey1

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2015, 08:11:00 PM »

I would like to thank whoever put a notice through our door about this as it was the first we had heard about it. I agree with Ellie, this stinks not only has the public footpath been altered without permission but suddenly the green belt ( which I think this area is, but I stand corrected) will have changed to brown belt and that gives the owner the right to apply for further planning.  We must object to this as it will change the Cookham area.
monty

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2015, 08:31:23 AM »

I looked at planning notice yesterday and it says 'agriculture buildings' this stinks of something being covered up.
cfarnsbarn

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2015, 12:13:22 PM »

I don't know about chickens,but a cart load of monkeys comes to mind.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: