Cookham Discussion Board
June 19, 2018, 07:25:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
19 June 2018 - Medical Detection Dogs

19 June 2018 - Part 1 Speak Out

21 June 2018 - Baroque Ensemble Red Priest

21 June 2018 - Open Minds - The Teenagers Debating Group

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14
  Print  
Author Topic: Chicken Farm Planning Application Strande Lane  (Read 75838 times)
Pongo

« Reply #180 on: December 09, 2015, 01:25:10 PM »

He can put up pig arks with no planning permission.
monty

« Reply #181 on: December 09, 2015, 01:37:29 PM »

Why did he put in four planning applications, if permission was not required. We have been living with this chicken farm threat for over 7 months and would imagine a lot of people are sick to death of it, and once he adds the chickens it doesn't bear thinking about.
forum poster

« Reply #182 on: December 11, 2015, 03:59:02 PM »

Probably a bit provocative here.... 

If this individual, who seems to hold the planning process and local residents in contempt, uses the access road off Strande Lane, how about erecting a gate with lock and key and provide access only to those who contribute to its upkeep?
monty

« Reply #183 on: December 11, 2015, 05:45:05 PM »

Sounds like  a good idea its a private road he has no right to be there. I hope the meeting today comes up with some positive feedback, I cannot imagine what the summer will be like with stinky pigs and noisy chickens.
monty

« Reply #184 on: December 11, 2015, 10:13:42 PM »

has all interest died in what this individual is doing
wannabe
Administrator

« Reply #185 on: December 12, 2015, 03:04:06 PM »

No but it's not being done in public...
monty

« Reply #186 on: December 12, 2015, 03:33:49 PM »

What does mean exactly
Paris
« Reply #187 on: December 12, 2015, 05:17:13 PM »

Nope, interest has definitely not been lost.  Just that, personally speaking, I'd forgotten my password to logon! 

I do agree wholeheartedly with whoever it was said that this person is treating the whole process with utter contempt and it appears to me that he is looking for every possible loophole in order to make a monkey out of the planning process and therefore to get his own way.  It is also very clear that the amount of objections to his proposed chicken farm is doing nothing to put him off a plan that is wholly unsuitable for the site.

It would seem he has learnt that in some circumstances portable (i.e. towable) buildings are exempt from planning he has now raised up the shed that should have been removed from the site and added wheels to it.  I understand he is also thinking of putting a 'caravan' on site to live in.

I wonder when he is planning on moving his pigs in, and where he will put them when the waters start to rise?  I also wonder if this is an attempt at making chickens seem a more preferable option to those who live around the property?  (One of the arks is in the point of the field where the water flows through from the lake opposite.)  Talking of water, and therefore sanitation, how is is going to get water supplied to the pigs?  There being no mains connection to his bit of field, and where will the caravan effluent be disposed.  This guy needs stopping in his tracks before he causes either/or an animal welfare issue or public health incident.  It is all well and good saying he is exercising his right to farm the land, but with poor fencing, no mains water, sewerage or mains electricity supply and a very real threat of severe flooding this is an incident of one description or another just waiting to happen.

I fear that all we can do now is hold on until the Panel sit at the end of this month and pray that they see sense and refuse all four applications and place such conditions on the landuse that we won't be spending most if not all of next year fighting off yet more applications.
jcleach

« Reply #188 on: December 12, 2015, 10:05:42 PM »

The applications for this field are not going to be heard until into the New Year. 

If animals are moved into the field and there is no access to appropriate water supplies or they are subjected to poorly draining land, there may well be animal welfare questions to be considered by the authorities.
monty

« Reply #189 on: December 13, 2015, 10:46:24 AM »

My God have we got another wait, I don't believe it.
Cat

« Reply #190 on: December 13, 2015, 01:47:55 PM »

Looking at the Defra site it seems to be clearly saying that any person farming pigs needs to have a specific expertise and experience in farming those animals:

Stockmanship

The stock-keeper has the most significant influence on the welfare of pigs. Stock-keepers should be competent in a wide range of animal health and welfare skills, which include:

handling skills
    preventing and treating lameness
    preventing and treating internal and external parasites
    giving medicines by injection
    providing appropriate care to sick and injured pigs
    care of the sow and her litter
    management of pigs to minimise aggression

Advice from a different source mentions:

Always best to keep both pigs and chickens entirely separate, as there is the problem of disease transfer ie Coccideosis[piglet scour}, etc. -

Certainly both pigs, and chickens, need to be kept at a good distance from each others pastures.

And if the floods come, pigs can actually swim but the poor chickens can't. Chickens have been known to even drown in a bucket of water. Mainly because they panic.

On the question of odor the following may be useful:
There are times where it varies. Any livestock operation will have an odor, as well they gotta relieve themselves routinely. The worst times will be when they empty their lagoons, usually spring and fall. Depending on their size, equipment , and ability , this could be just a few days or could be 2 weeks or so. It will also seem worse in the summer than the winter due to the heat, possibly humidity depending on your climate, and the fact you'll be outside more and probably want the windows open. (Yahoo answers)
The site advises to check the wind maps for your locality.

Paris
« Reply #191 on: December 15, 2015, 12:03:21 PM »

We have to wait even longer - why yet another delay? 

Why aren't the council advising everyone who has commented? 

Why are people having to rely on the 'grapevine' to hear what is going on? 

Are they hoping that if they don't inform everyone that the objectors will simply melt away?  Are they even following correct process by not advising all parties of what is happening? 

Is it that they are afraid of something?

monty

« Reply #192 on: December 15, 2015, 12:11:32 PM »

If this goes through someone has crossed some ones palm. It is ridiculous how long we have to wait. This will happen under the radar, Is  the council scared of him or making decisions, and as Paris says objectors should be made aware of what is happening It is totally unfair we are being kept in the dark.
Watchman

« Reply #193 on: December 16, 2015, 11:43:28 AM »

This issue is becoming very messy indeed.

I am given to understand from a person who "knows" of the gentleman concerned, that he is determined to go
ahead with his plans of either having a piggery on the land and/or a chicken farm, and Planning disapproval,
I gather, will only be seen as a minor set back, with him planning to thereafter submit again and again until
a final resolution is reached.

In the interim, it seems that a piggery is the de facto choice  ...

Like I said, this is messy ... and the sooner the RBWM councillors stop gawking, dawdling and running around like
(pardon the expression) headless chickens and formulate and approve a definitive objection, the better for all concerned.

The longer this issue is protracted, the (seemingly) easier it becomes for the chicken/piggery owner to get what he wants.
monty

« Reply #194 on: December 16, 2015, 11:55:03 AM »

Absolutely Watchman what are they afraid of the law is their side he should not be doing anything, sheds changing the path. I do feel one morning we will go up the road and there will be 20 pigs what do the council do then
 He has got to be stopped and told its no good putting in more applications we will put in another 828 objections see how he gets on with that.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14
  Print  

Jump to: