Cookham Discussion Board
June 23, 2018, 05:14:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
23 June 2018 - Charity Bake Sale

23 June 2018 - Cookham Dean Primary School Summer Fete

23 June 2018 - Cantorum Choir - Stars of the Summer Night

24 June 2018 - Cookham Dean Charity Croquet and Tennis Tournament

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: MAKE THE POUNDFIELD A LOCAL GREEN SPACE  (Read 31599 times)
Cookham Society

« on: September 16, 2015, 05:44:46 PM »

The latest government guidance provides for the designation of certain areas as Local Green Spaces, which could protect them from development in much the same way as the Green Belt does.

Now a Royal Borough consultation in the context of preparing a new Local Plan has suggested the Poundfield as one such Local Green Space and gives us a chance to make our views known.  To qualify, sites have to be in reasonably close proximity to the communities they serve; be demonstrably special to a local community and of particular local significance; for example, because of their beauty, historic significance, recreational value, tranquillity or the richness of wildlife; and be local in character and not extensive tracts of land.  It seems to us the Poundfield land qualifies on every count. The Society has therefore sent a formal request to the Borough that  the site be designated a Local Green Space.

The site comprises some 15 acres of fields to the north and west of The Pound, and is clearly delineated on p. 15 in the Cookham Village Design Statement (VDS).  It constitutes the only green space between the Moor and Bradcutts Lane at the western end of Cookham Rise and provides an important link between the developed part of the village around the station with the countryside and Green Belt to the north.  It is, thus, a crucial green space which is part of the fundamental character of Cookham, exemplifying the assessment that "Cookham is defined by its green spaces" contained in the VDS, which has been adopted by the Borough as a Supplementary Planning Document.

This green area has been subject to a number of proposals for development over the years, which have been strongly opposed by a majority of Cookham residents.  The most recent specific proposal envisaged the construction of over 120 houses and was rejected conclusively by the Secretary of State in early 1991.    Later in the 1990s the Borough sought to add the land to the Green Belt and, although this was not realised for legal reasons, its importance to the fabric of the village was subsequently recognised by its addition to the adjacent conservation area. The VDS (p.15) specifically considers Poundfield as contributing to the preservation of the character of the Conservation Area. The site is in the heart of Cookham and much appreciated not only by the local community but by visitors.  Developing it would radically alter the character of the village and our request is directed to safeguarding Cookham’s essential character, as illustrated so clearly in the VDS

The Society has set up a petition on the Royal Borough's web site and would encourage people to sign it. The petition can be accessed on:

http://petitions.rbwm.gov.uk/Poundfield

tudorrose

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 06:41:43 PM »

This is great - please forward this to everyone you know - THIS COULD MAKE SUCH A DIFFERENCE Cheesy
lizzyk

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 09:28:15 PM »

Only four signatures so far. It is really easy to sign, so as tudorrose says Please Sign, this could really make a big difference to Cookham.
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 06:56:32 AM »

It seems there are very few people who care, but the rest sit back on their backsides and moan about other things! The next thing will be, that houses will take root and not trees in this area, and then watch out for the whimpering when it will be too late. Sorry I'm too far off to vote, but I hate to see the urbanizing of a wonderful village, with lots of fond memories.
Watchman

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 08:59:45 AM »

It seems there are very few people who care, but the rest sit back on their backsides and moan about other things!

A bit harsh.
The news of the Petition only hit these screens at 17:44 yesterday 16th September!

I have signed, and I'd suggest others will too, but give them some more time!
Also remember, not all Cookham residents subscribe to the cookham.com website!

PS - as at 09:00 hrs today, there were 19 signatures.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 09:02:36 AM by Watchman » Logged
Aries

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 09:17:59 AM »

I agree with ALL the above comments - The Cookham Society has its roots (as far as I am aware) in the historical 'Gravel Extraction' plans at Widbrook and the later Poundfield Development Plans.

It is important to retain/protect the Green Belt Areas as well as adding additional protection to the Local Green Spaces in order to preserve Cookham's character.

Give the petition some time to gather momentum (pass the word around etc.) - it has only just been launched.  Sometime, however, it may be necessary to do leafleting / door to door canvassing to to get a a petition to fully represent the local community.
chrisri

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 11:43:23 AM »

Thanks for this, now signed up!

Similar to the thread I started a couple of weeks ago 'Local Green Space Designation'.

It was disappointing the amount of interest I got with that so fingers crossed people react to this thread!
FionaBeaumont

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 05:17:44 PM »

I think this is a great idea.

I recently went on a soggy boating break on the Thames, and when I walked through Goring you are met by a lovely green grass area with a old stock brick low wall and a few benches. That was all, nothing complicated, just quiet SPACE.

It was a small detail, but had a really big impact on a small village and I instantly though what the pony field could become.

It also made me realise that this is the first impression people will have entering Cookham from the Switchback, and the difference it would make having it as an open attractive green space rather than just more 'tidy' houses with high hedges, making the space cramped and characterless.
Greenpound
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 05:29:28 PM »

Aries - you are quite right about the need to publicise the issue. For that reason the Cookham Society will be carrying out a major distribution of information sheets next week to increase awareness and encourage support of the petition.
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 09:03:27 PM »

It is good to see that things are beginning to move. For those of you that think I am too far away, I would like to let you know I am a paid up member of The Cookham Society!
chrisri

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 09:48:55 PM »

What does being far away matter, you can still sign the petition I think?
tudorrose

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 07:42:19 AM »

Absolutely! The petition wording just says you need to be resident in the UK so as long as you are it doesn't matter how far away from Cookham you live
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 05:19:20 PM »

Thank you Chrisri & Tudorose. I read through the form and it does state if you are a British Citizen, and if you were born in the UK you are a British Citizen. William Joyce (Lord HawHaw) found this out when he was hanged as a traitor. So if you were born in the UK, you can vote.
tudorrose

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2015, 07:16:41 AM »

Just a tip. Several people told me they signed the petition but couldn't see their name when they went to look. If you have signed or intend to sign please be aware that once you have put your details in you can expect to get an email from rbwm acknowledging your entry and asking you to click on a link to confirm your signature which will then mean your name will appear. In some cases the email has automatically gone to the persons "junk" or "spam" folder so please check these folders if you haven't or don't receive the acknowledgment after registering  Smiley  Smiley
Medtner

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 09:04:25 AM »

Just signed up. I am a member of the Cookham Society and have heard nothing from them. Luckily I look at Cookham.com regularly. I feel very strongly about this area of land. It is an important green space. I will definitely send the link to as many people as possible.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: