Cookham Discussion Board
September 22, 2018, 03:19:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
22 September 2018 - Live@the Church

25 September 2018 - Cookham Medical Centre Closed for Training - 12.30-6.30pm

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: MAKE THE POUNDFIELD A LOCAL GREEN SPACE  (Read 33872 times)
Watchman

« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2015, 06:30:16 PM »

I'm sure councillor bashing isn't going to help your cause, in fact quite the opposite.
Disagree.
The councillors ought and need to be kept on their toes and know exactly what the people
who voted them in are thinking and feeling.
The overwhelming majority of a single party in RBWM makes that need all the more important,
else you WILL find the councillors riding roughshod over the populace.
Paris
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2015, 09:57:47 AM »

I take your point about Ragwort Birdman.  But it is a weed that landowners have a duty to control under the 1959 Weed Act.  Defra are able to take enforcement action against any landowner who fails to undertake weed control with respect to this weed as it is extremely poisionous, to the point of fatality in horses.  Although tests have also shown that the alkaloids within the plant can be taken up by most mammals, including those previously thought to be unharmed such as sheep; once used as a form of weed control as they will happily eat ragwort.  Anyone pulling ragwort, the most effective form of eradication since it remains poisonous once dead, is advised to wear gloves as it has been found that the alkaloids can enter the body via the skin and thereby begin the route to the liver where it starts to destroy healthy tissue.
lizzyk

« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2015, 10:40:07 AM »

Having been a Parish Councillor for several years I don't think it ever entered my head to ride roughshod over the residents. I think I can say that for all the councillors I have known. Our aim was to do the best for Cookham.
Ellie

« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2015, 11:19:31 AM »

Why does 'local green space' have to mean artificially grassed areas when there is so much benefit in natural surroundings. Isn't what's left of that the thing we are all trying to preserve? Or is it just me?

Ragwort problems aside, I agree with Birdman that the area doesn't need artificial grassing or too much clearing, as it's the natural aspect of the field that is so pleasing and brings the countryside right down into that part of Cookham. The flora and fauna that has long flourished there needs to be conserved as far as possible. Anyone arriving at the road junction opposite the old Pony Field gets the impression of a relatively unspoilt village. To turn it into an urbanised, manicured park would defeat the purpose of leaving it as a pleasant green open space. We should take warning from what the RBWM did by urbanising Bellrope Meadow, which is an example of what not to do to a village.
Paris
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2015, 01:06:51 PM »

Just in case anyone was wondering - while disagreeing on the point of ragwort, I do think that the rambling nature of Poundfield should be left alone.  The slightly tatty (to human eyes anyway) scrubby grassland and hedges will be hugely beneficial to wildlife; tinkering to the point of sanitising it for looks alone will do none of our amphibian or reptilian wildlife any good whatsoever.
Watchman

« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2015, 09:14:24 PM »

Having been a Parish Councillor for several years I don't think it ever entered my head to ride roughshod over the residents. I think I can say that for all the councillors I have known. Our aim was to do the best for Cookham.

Perhaps my reference was misleading - for which do accept my apologies.

I did mean RBWM Councillors (not Cookham Parish councillors)
RBWM councillors definitely ARE a law unto themselves.
Several recent decisions reflect this - not least decisions involving Holyport School and Rock the Moor.

I am sure that the Cookham Parish Councillors do their very best with Cookham residents interests at heart,
but sadly only in an advisory capacity - the real power resides wholly with the RBWM fellas.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 09:16:12 PM by Watchman » Logged
Greenpound
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2015, 05:41:59 PM »

Those of us who want to protect the character of Cookham are sometimes accused of being NIMBYS.  But the defence of Cookham does not just benefit those who live there.  Surveys show that many people from other parts of the Royal Borough and further afield are frequent visitors.  If you had a residence in Slough or Bracknell would you prefer Cookham to be as it is when you visit it or become suburbanised?  Preserving Cookham's character is a heritage issue and is of benefit to many people who do not live there.   So hold your heads up high: you are not NIMBYs and those who call you that are simply being defensive in the light of their own real motives.
jumpingjackflash
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2015, 07:49:22 PM »

Well said !
tudorrose

« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2015, 05:38:56 AM »

See that the farmer has now put up lots of signs in Marsh Meadow declaring it as green space! Probably believes that this may satisfy the RBWM that no further green space needed or am I being a tad cynical??!
Watchman

« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2015, 11:01:24 AM »

He is doing so because he knows he hasn't got a hope in hell's chance of building houses on Marsh Meadow
because it happens to be the first bit of land that is purposely flooded (up to 4 feet deep in Feb 2014) in
the Cookham Flood Defence Programme.

But hey, it's a clever ploy putting up such "GREEN" notices as they only go to prove
how very "thoughtful and considerate" the local landowning Farmer C is in such cases!

Excuse me as I take time out to throw up!!

Perhaps if he had a closer look in Marsh Meadow, he might find it isn't all green, being, as it has been,
littered with nuts, bolts, small clips of wires, plastic ties etc., all remnants of the construction
and decommissioning of the LRTM stage, stands and perimeter fencing.
Dog owners/walkers watch out.
tudorrose

« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2015, 10:17:24 AM »

Just to update everyone - as well as the e-petition still being open for signatures, people will have another chance to support the Poundfield protection campaign if they come along to the Autumn Fair at Moor Hall on 28 November or the Christmas Street Fair on Sunday 6 December when they will also have the opportunity to physically sign the paper petition (if they haven't already managed to sign on-line). Please spread the word  Cheesy Cheesy
tudorrose

« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2016, 06:33:59 AM »

One week left to sign the e petition before it is submitted to the RBWM!
Cookie

« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2016, 09:33:57 PM »

Only a few more days left to sign the petition.
Don't miss the chance to make your voice heard.
tudorrose

« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2016, 01:34:07 PM »

The petition will be presented to the full RBWM Council for debate in the Desborough Suite of Maidenhead Town Hall at 7.30 pm on Tuesday 23 February; the scheme allows for a 30 minute [maximum] debate between the councillors on the issue.

Members of the public are welcome to attend and listen to the debate. While it will not be possible to join the debate it would be very helpful to have as many supporters of the petition as possible in the room: a good showing will demonstrate widespread support for the campaign to protect the Poundfield.
tudorrose

« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2016, 06:15:38 AM »

Apologies - checked the Council website and the meeting is scheduled to begin at 7pm not 7.30pm
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: