Cookham Discussion Board
July 19, 2018, 10:17:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
19 July 2018 - Open Minds - The Teenagers Debating Group

22 July 2018 - Colonel Garrett Cup Cricket Competition

24 July 2018 - Cookham Medical Centre Closed for Training - 12.30-6.30pm

27 July 2018 - National Trust Bat Walk

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Windsor rower launches Bright Idea Challenge Prize  (Read 1077 times)
RBWM Press Release

« on: September 22, 2015, 04:38:24 PM »

The Royal Borough’s £20,000 Bright Idea Challenge Prize competition has returned for a third year and was officially launched today by this year’s competition ambassadors Roz Savage MBE and her partner Howard Lack.

Windsor resident Roz was the first woman to have rowed solo across three oceans – the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian – in a bid to raise awareness of plastic pollution and climate change. Howard is chief executive of the environmental charity Plastic Ocean. Plastic Oceans aims to significantly reduce plastic pollution in the environment by supporting and funding targeted solutions.

The Bright Idea – which also includes a junior category –encourages residents, businesses, entrepreneurs and inventors living or working in the borough to suggest ideas or solutions that will enhance or improve life in their local area.

The winner of the main prize will receive £250 plus officer and councillor support to make their idea a reality using the competition shared funding pot of £20,000. 

Children and young people are also encouraged to take part and there will be a junior winner, under 18 years old. They will receive a smaller cash prize. 

Winning solutions should relate to one or more of the following areas:

Supporting children and young people
Encouraging healthy people and lifestyles
Improving the environment, economy and transport
Working for safer and stronger communities.

Past winning or runner up ideas include night markets in Windsor and Maidenhead, introducing Maidenhead Park Run and a fun maze in Maidenhead for children that is due to be opened later this year.

Roz Savage said on her amazing achievements: “I believe that if you don’t keep pushing the boundaries, keep expanding your comfort zone, your comfort zone actually gets smaller and smaller, until you’re shrink-wrapped in such a tiny comfort zone that you can’t move, you can’t achieve anything, you can’t grow.

“And so I keep pushing, keep developing, keep evolving. I keep showing what an ordinary person can do when they put their hearts and minds and souls into it.”

Howard Lack adds: “I have three teenage children and love the idea that this age group is being encouraged to get involved in schemes like this.

"We need all the creative energy and original thinking of the younger generation to undo the legacy left by previous generations. I welcome the opportunity to be part of this fantastic initiative that engages youngsters to help improve the world they live in and the Royal Borough."

Entering a Bright Idea is simple. Fill in the online application form on our website:

http://www3.rbwm.gov.uk/info/200195/volunteering/685/bright_idea_challenge_prize/2

Or alternatively outline the idea in no more than 200 words, include your name and contact details and send it to:

Royal Borough’s Bright Idea, Town Hall, St Ives Road, Maidenhead SL6 1RF.

The deadline for entries will be Friday 30 October 2015 at 5pm. Shortlisted applicants will be invited in to present their idea to a panel of judges which will include councillors and officers and our competition ambassadors. Any questions on the competition or rules and regulations should be emailed to: brightidea@rbwm.gov.uk

Cllr Claire Stretton, principal member for culture and communities, said: “We are delighted to be running this initiative for the third year and it will be the first one I’ve been involved in.

“I encourage everyone to submit ideas and am looking forward to seeing what people are passionate about and interested in seeing happen.

“It is fantastic that Roz and Howard are on board this year and Roz’s adventurous spirit and Howard’s passion for worthy causes are sure to make this event a great success.” 

For the latest news, stories and advice on the Royal Borough’s £20,000 Bright Idea Challenge Prize 2015/16 check the council’s Facebook page and Twitter @rbwm or #rbwmbrightidea

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: