Cookham Discussion Board
January 20, 2018, 08:58:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
20 January 2018 - Make Your Own Nesting Boxes

22 January 2018 - Robbie Burns Faces Mother's Ruin

24 January 2018 - Cookham Surgery Closed for GP Training (12.30pm onward)

26 January 2018 - Jazz at the Altar Featuring Upbeat

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: The Costa Coffee Hall of Shame  (Read 13319 times)
forum poster

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 12:44:49 PM »

Surely they could afford to have, say 3, modestly proportioned "NO PARKING" signs in bold red writing and put them along the wall where people clearly seem incapable of understanding what double yellows mean..I see them parked there all the time, and when said miscreants pop in for their "essential" purchase the staff could remind them of the highway code too. Just an idea.
Watchman

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 12:50:50 PM »

Excellent news, but not before time.

However, please do not leave it for a week or two before you return.

I know you guys are busy, but a visit to these hot spots every second day for the next fortnight
with immediate Penalty Notices issued WITHOUT WARNING ,might be exactly what is required to deter those
irresponsible drivers who believe it their God given right to park wherever and whenever they choose.

As you so rightly say, parking illegally at these hotspots is an accident waiting to happen.

As far as putting up NO PARKING signs - good luck with that.
I can visualise the drivers who park illegally totally ignoring their existence.
It's Penalty Notices (ie., hitting them where it hurts - in their pockets) that should do the trick.
carlosthegooner

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2015, 05:03:04 PM »

I posted a message on the main Costa Facebook page at lunchtime mentioning the problems with the illegal parking and had a reply pretty much immediately asking me to email talktocosta@whitbread.com and mark for the attention of Danni as the problem is a concern to them.

I included links to the Costa threads on here so that they could get a flavour of the local feeling....lets see if they do anything to help this franchise tackle the problem. 
aj

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2015, 09:47:43 PM »

There have been a number of recent incidents following the original post.
One vehicle has been sighted on multiple occasions, as well.
Since this is clearly an issue that needs ongoing monitoring, photos have been taken and passed directly to the police. This includes individuals blocking in cars in the car park, although I appreciate this is not part of the public highway. However the British Transport Police do have jurisdiction there.

[the original photos prior to the post have been retained but not at this stage passed on, since it did not seem fair to do this without first discussing the matter here in the forum. Naively I hoped that the word would get around and the illegal parking would stop; more fool me!]

I do hope at some stage common courtesy and civility will prevail. If it takes police enforcement to get the message across, that's regrettable - I prefer to 'live and let live' but this situation has become far too dangerous especially with the shorter days and unfortunately I can see no other option.
Watchman

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2015, 09:27:19 AM »

I'm afraid the PCSO venture to the Cookhams has petered out.
Talking about the problem is one thing.
Actually doing something about it (handing out on-the-spot Penalty Charges) is another altogether.
Their visit last week perhaps deterred a few miscreants .... but they're all back - and with a vengeance.

I spotted two cars, both parked on the double yellows within the bus stop layby - yes two cars - bumper
to bumper as I drove past to the chemist. They were still both there fifteen minutes later as I drove back.
Sadly I was in a rush to get to an appointment otherwise I would have stopped in at Costa to complain.

Solution : have PCSO's regularly patrol the area twice each day - only needs to be a brief drive past.
Hand out parking fines on a regular basis (no warnings) - and the word will soon spread.
Thomas Lee
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2015, 11:00:13 AM »

I read this forum thread this morning. There's been some sort of incident outside Country Stores this morning - there were police and the like stopping traffic from passing. I went outside to look and, lo and behold, one entititled person had parked illegally outside Costas, in full view of the female police officer. As this is a public place I do not have reservations about posting either the picture or the full license plate (R687 YTF - a green Bentley). My photograph of this car even shows a female police officer diverting traffic up the High Road - but doing NOTHING about the illegally parked car.

Another regular offender here is a BMW, plate S130 0PX. I recently stopped here and complained as to her parking. She was incredibly rude and claimed that because she had a disability pass she could park where she likes. At that time, not only was the disability pass issued for another county (Hampshire), but it had expired!  This entitled one regularly parks on the double yellows outside Costa's and leaves a couple of dogs inside the car while she and her companion sip coffee in Costas.

I too have commented to both the staff in Costas (who probably have no power to do anything), as well as the owner. Thus far, nothing has been done. Sooner or later, there will be an accident here which could so easily have been avoided.

Where can we post the hall of shame pics? I have several - including one with THREE cars on the double yellows!.
Thomas Lee
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2015, 11:04:31 AM »

We do have wardens from the council checking the cars. I see them quite often. When they are around people are aware and probably do not park. Why do they check windscreens in Maidenhead?

I live near Costas, and those alleged wardens are about as common as unicorn manure.  I have only seen one case of some being ticketed since Costa's opened. Sorry - but the level of enforcement from these wardens is simply inadequate.

And this morning, with the incident outside Country Stores (police ambulance, etc al in attendance) - and in front of a police office, one entitled one parked with impunity outside Costa's.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 11:49:22 AM by Thomas Lee » Logged
Thomas Lee
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2015, 11:07:35 AM »

If a vehicle is parked on the pavement so that people can not pass or restricting vision at the junction if you call 101 with the registration police will attend if possible. I will contact the neighbourhood team on Monday.

Contact for RBWM parking enforcement is
Email: parking@rbwm.gov.uk
Tel: 01628 683800
Post: Parking Team, Town Hall, St Ives Road, Maidenhead SL6 1RF

Will this team accept photographs of offending cars and will they issue tickets as a result.

If not, then this is an utter waste of time - even if I call, by the time that they get over to Cookham, the offender will have left.
Cat

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2015, 01:25:25 PM »

Hello Thomas

I'm not sure either if photos can be used in evidence. But there is no law against taking them.
I'm sure that the parking enforcement department in Maidenhead Council Offices could let you have the answer to whether or not they can ultimately be used in evidence.
Certainly the police could.

I did contact Maidenhead Council about this issue sometime ago. They were polite but I'm not sure what the outcomes were.

We all hope that no one suffers an accident as a result of this illegal and dangerous parking. And I'm no lawyer.

But as the Council, the Police, the traffic wardens and Costa themselves have all been alerted to this hazard, then I'm
not sure what their legal situation might be if an accident did occur, and no obvious action had been taken against the regular perpetrators  (especially by those who are responsible for enforcing the law).

The situation appears to be escalating. It is not uncommon now for tempers to flare as people legitimately parked in the railway station car park attempt to leave for work, appointments, etc and find that they are
blocked in from leaving because of the selfish and rude actions of people sitting in Costa who have parked their cars knowingly blocking people in.
And not uncommon for the perpetrators to become hugely aggressive and attempt to intimidate those who politely ask them to come and move their cars.

I feel sorry for the young Costa staff. It is not their role to police the situation. But someone needs to.
wannabe
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2015, 03:01:44 PM »

it's not surprising that an officer dealing with an incident does not divert to deal with a parking issue.
While sending police a photo may not result in prosecution it does support them in spending timein a location where there is an issue. (Evidential photos have to meet criteria in order to be used and you would probably not want your phone to be seized to be used as evidence.)
You don't have to be driving for you to be implicated in a traffic incident. The presence of your vehicle on the road is enough.
Reporting dangerous parking to police on 101 does at the very least bring the level of incidents to the notice of the police area where it is occouring. Resources are planned accordingly.
Finally anyone reading or watching the news must surely realise that any Police force today has to eke out their share of resource according to availability and grading of the incident.
Thomas Lee
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2015, 03:30:52 PM »

I fully realise it's right for that officer to stay where she was, but I found it somewhat ironically amusing - there was an entitled person in their Bentley flouting the double line right in front of a PC. 

And yes, tension will only escalate. I guess the only answer is to complain to Costa's.
Roger

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2015, 04:38:06 PM »

This morning the police were dealing with an elderly lady who was very badly injured on Station Hill and had to be air lifted to Oxford's John Radcliffe. I can imagine in that case the injured lady was more important than an illegally parked car.
aj

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2015, 06:50:36 PM »

I have sent an email to the Whitbread address mentioned. As the corporate mind tends to be focussed by issues which might result in monetary loss, I have pointed out that Costa's insurers (Tokio Marine) may consider Costa to have contributory liability in the event that appropriate signage is not erected and there is subsequently an accident.

Whether or not this would in fact be the case, I have generally found that lawyers and money have a marvellously focussing effect on corporate mindsets. Let's see what happens.
[and, sadly, another vehicle outside this evening when I got home. ]
Thomas Lee
Administrator

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2015, 08:38:28 PM »

This morning the police were dealing with an elderly lady who was very badly injured on Station Hill and had to be air lifted to Oxford's John Radcliffe. I can imagine in that case the injured lady was more important than an illegally parked car.

I was unclear. The emergency responders were down on Station Hill. The police officer in question was at the junction of Lower Rd, and High Road. She was quite close to the misparked car, and not part of helping the injured woman. I just found it ironic that some on would ark illegally almost directly in front of a police officer.
wannabe
Administrator

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2015, 12:31:12 PM »

The officer would have been part of keeping the scene safe and waiting further instructions and part of the resource comitted to the incident.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: