Cookham Discussion Board
September 22, 2018, 03:18:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
22 September 2018 - Live@the Church

25 September 2018 - Cookham Medical Centre Closed for Training - 12.30-6.30pm

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ‘Simple, effective and practical’ name for new road  (Read 1124 times)
Cookham Webmaster
Administrator

« on: October 15, 2015, 01:03:58 PM »

Maidenhead’s newest road will be named Stafferton Link following a competition run by the Royal Borough.

The name for the new section of Stafferton Way link road was put forward by Maidenhead resident Vivienne Rushton. She will be presented with a copy of the road sign which will be in place when the road opens.

The Mayor, Cllr Eileen Quick, said: “There were lots of entries and I thank residents for taking the time to suggest them. 

“We had a really hard job selecting the winner but I think residents will agree that Stafferton Link is a simple, effective and practical name.”

There were an overwhelming number of competition entries which called for the road to be named after Sir Nicholas Winton in recognition of his heroic acts which saved hundreds of Czechoslovakian children in the run up to the Second World War.

Cllr Quick added: “We spoke to Sir Nicholas’ family and while they were delighted that so many residents wanted to honour his memory they felt a different kind of memorial would be more fitting. We will be working with them to ensure that we find the right way to commemorate Sir Nicholas’ memory.”

Cllr Colin Rayner, cabinet member for highways and transport, who came up with the idea of the competition, said: “We received a large number of entries and I’m really pleased that so many residents engaged with us and wanted to be a part of it.

“I think Stafferton Link is a very fitting name for the new road and I look forward to seeing the road name in situ when we open the link road.”

A judging panel made up of the Mayor, Deputy Mayor Cllr Sayonara Luxton, Martin Trepte, editor of the Maidenhead Advertiser, and Ross Wilson of the Maidenhead Chamber of Commerce selected the winning entry from more than 100 submitted to the competition.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: