Cookham Discussion Board
December 12, 2018, 11:01:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
10 December 2018 - The Media Hub - Tim Brooke-Taylor OBE

11 December 2018 - Cookham Surgery Closed for Training 12.30pm onwards

13 December 2018 -  WilldCookham Christmas Catch Up - FREE

13 December 2018 - Cookham Book Club

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Amazing’ apple maze for Maidenhead  (Read 1603 times)
Cookham Webmaster
Administrator

« on: October 19, 2015, 06:01:38 PM »

An exciting new brick maze in an apple shape has come to fruition for people to enjoy thanks to the Royal Borough’s Bright Idea Challenge Prize competition. It will be officially opened at Maidenhead’s Oaken Grove Park on Thursday 22 October at 3.45pm.

This new addition to Oaken Grove is the vision of Claire Castignetti of Maidenhead, who was second in last year’s Bright Idea Challenge Prize competition.

The ground-level maze, which is in the shape of an apple, is made up of a series of brick footpaths, one of which leads to the centre where there is a curved bench and a drinking fountain.
Residents were given the opportunity to be part of the maze and have their own personalised engraved brick. There are 266 regular-sized engraved bricks and 40 larger ones. The rest of the maze has been constructed with over 1,200 plain bricks.

There are also 10 bricks with individual fruit designs for children to find, plus 10 mission statement bricks in the centre of the maze.

The maze has been funded by the council and ISS Facility Services Landscaping. The Shanly Foundation contributed towards the bench in the centre of the maze. Ten percent of the money raised from each engraved brick is going to the Thames Valley Adventure Playground (TVAP).

Claire said: “It has been a wonderful project from start to finish, involving brilliant teamwork from the council and the talented team installing it. Seeing the maze evolve from a drawing to this beautiful finished piece has been a fantastic experience for me.

“I’m looking forward to seeing everyone’s reaction to it and should imagine it will be rather an emotional experience.

“I submitted my maze idea in 2013 but unfortunately just missed the deadline date so had to wait a whole year to re-submit it. It was definitely worth the wait.

“I would encourage anyone who has a spark of an idea to take part in this competition. Seeing my idea come to reality has been fantastic, incredibly satisfying, hard work at times but so much fun and for my whole family too. I’m very grateful to the Royal Borough for allowing me this incredible opportunity to be part of something quite special.”

Cllr Claire Stretton, principal member for culture and communities, said: “Claire and the team have worked so hard on this project and spent many hours designing and constructing it. It will be a wonderful addition to Oaken Grove and the community.

This is a great example of what the Bright Idea Challenge Prize is all about and why we are running the competition. We’re looking for more amazing and innovative ideas this year, which will enable the person who suggests it to access both support from relevant officers and councillors and the funding to make their idea come to life.”   

This year’s Bright Idea Challenge Prize is now running and applications will be accepted until 5pm on Friday 30 October.

Windsor rower Roz Savage launched the competition last month with her partner Howard Lack, chief executive of the environmental charity the Plastic Oceans Foundation. As well as being the competition’s ambassadors they will be on the judging panel.

The winner of the main prize will receive £250 plus officer and councillor support to make their idea a reality using the competition’s shared funding pot of £20,000.

There is also a junior category for under-18s and the winner will receive a smaller cash prize.

Winning solutions should relate to one or more of the following areas:
Supporting children and young people
Encouraging healthy people and lifestyles
Improving the environment, economy and transport
Working for safer and stronger communities.

To submit a Bright Idea fill in the online application form on our website:
www3.rbwm.gov.uk/info/200195/volunteering/685/bright_idea_challenge_prize/2

Shortlisted applicants will be invited in to present their idea to a panel of judges which will include councillors and officers and our Bright Idea ambassadors. Any questions on the competition should be emailed to: brightidea@rbwm.gov.uk
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: